Author Topic: How can you tell low light performance in the store?  (Read 666 times)

Offline seeliger

• Trade Count: (0)
How can you tell low light performance in the store?
« on: August 14, 2007, 01:36:49 PM »
I have compared several brands of scopes at the store by looking through them side by side.  I happened to be at the local Bass Pro during an off peak time and got a very energetic salesperson to help me.  To my eye, I thought the zeiss conquest 3.5 X 10 X 44 was a little brighter and clearer than the swarovski A-line 3 X 10 X 42 which surprised me.  The sales guy thought it was the other way around.  Another friendly customer got in the action and agreed with me that the zeiss was brighter.  Of course either along with the bushnell elite and some nikons were very good in store light.  Is brightness in plenty of light an indicator of low light performance or would the swarovski start to shine at dusk?  Thanks!

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: How can you tell low light performance in the store?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 01:44:41 PM »
I would show up at the store at dusk , take them out side and look thru. them !
if they will not allow ya that , they don't really want to sell you a scope now do they ?
Green top in Ashland VA insist you go out and compare !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Zachary

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:22:04 PM »
The short of it is....you can't.  Unless you go to a store and they allow you to take the scope outside when it's getting dark.  Then again, if you really want to evaluate a scope's low light performance, you have to compare it, which means that you will have to take at least 2 scopes out there.  Good luck finding a store that will allow you to do that.  I guess that smaller mom and pop shops might help you out like that, but even then it seems kinda hard for the most part.

Truthfully, one of your best resources are people like us on these forums.  Many members, including myself, own several brands of scopes and thus have the opportunity to do our own evaluations and post them to other members.  Yes, 2 people can see things differently and thus such tests can be subjective, but try and make a decision based on these evaluations, subjective as they may be, because they really can be helpful, and, for the most part, unbiased.

Zachary

Offline flintlock

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:39:45 PM »
I agree...Pretty much...

If you buy a decent scope...(Let's say name brand about $200 worth)..With that scope in a 40mm objective you should be able to  have enough light to make a good shot past legal shooting light (in NC that's 30 minutes after sundown, and that's plenty late)...

Now, I like Leupolds, I don't have a bunch of scopes, I have 3..all Leupolds, I have compared my 7-8 year old VX-II (VX-I technology today) to my brother's 7-8 year old VX-III...His with 50mm, mine with 40mm.....Dang if I can tell a difference, I have taken both to the stand....So in my case, I know that more money will not necessarily mean the scope will be brighter...I'll be 52 next week, my eyes won't dilate enough to use all that extra light, if that makes sense...

If you like the Zeiss and can afford it, buy it, its a great scope and I'll bet at dusk, you will have all the light you need...None of these scopes are going to "make light" you have to have some to begin with...

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:29:03 PM »
seeliger , contrary to what you read in gun rags, what looks best to your eyes is what matters most. Unless the scopes you compare are focused to your eye, it's not a good comparison.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 12:55:27 PM »
There are a lot of very good scopes.  Pick a price range and then ask to see scopes in that price range.

One of the most important aspects to me is customer service.  If the scope has a problem some time in the future, how will the company handle it?

Optical quality is very good in a lot of brands.  Customer service should add to the over all value.....
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline seeliger

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:17:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies and the idea.  I will try to do a dusk comparison at the store.  I'm curious though if anyone has ever experienced one scope to be brighter in good light but lose out to another when conditions get tough.  What do you guys think?

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 04:03:05 AM »
I think two people can look at the same scopes and come to different opinions.

If you look at scopes several times and come to the same conclusion then you know which one is most likely to suit you.

You might want to consider field of view and clarity on the edges as well as brightness.

Length, weight and mounting height could also be valid comparisons.

It's relatively easy for a scope to look good in good light.  You will see the greatest difference when scopes are compared in difficult lighting.

IMO, there is a point of diminishing returns.  I.E, you spend a lot more money but don't get much more in performance.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline ScoutMan

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 02:43:32 AM »
This works better for binoculars, but should work for a scope.

Once you get the correct eye relief, find some dark corner of the store and point the scope in that direction. Try to find some boxes with lettering on them and try to read them.

But, as stated above taking the scope outside the store at dusk would be the preferred test.
If you can get closer, get closer
If you can get steadier, get steadier.

A telescope helps you see; it does not help you hold and squeeze.-Jeff Cooper