Author Topic: One Hell of a Read  (Read 366 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
One Hell of a Read
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:22:04 PM »
Just finished the book " Lone Survivor" Written by Leading Petty Officer and Navy Seal Marcus Luttrell. This book is an eye witness account of Operation Redwing and the lost hero's of Seal Team 10. Luttrell was the lone surviving seal of that battle that took his 3 teammates on that Afganistan mountain and of the helicopter crash and deaths of the Seals trying to save that 4 man team. This book is excellent and gives insight on what it like to become a Seal and of the issues they have in Iraq and Afganistan. Several things inpressed me about the book with out giving away anything in the book. 1. Something I think a lot of folks do not know is they have to go by a set of rules over there (Rules of Engagement) number one being they cannot fire on anyone unless they are fired on first or they have identified the enemy and his intentions. He explains it well in the book. 2. He is not a big fan of the liberals in this country or the liberal press this is also gone over in detail. 3 he has a deep respect for GWB and is proud that he is his CIC. This is a really good book and I think any one who wants a better understanding of what is going on over in Iraq and Afganistan should read this from some one who lived it and still is. In the fall of 2006 he volunteered to go back to Iraq with his new Seal Team even though he did not have to. For him it was a personal choice to do so. Luttrell was awarded by President Bush the Navy Cross. He also was awarded the Purple Heart.

Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: One Hell of a Read
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 03:40:01 PM »
Just thought I would add since Luttrell is not a author by trade he co-wrote this book with author Patrick Robinson who has written the Navy based books Nimitz Class, Kilo Class and Sea Wolf. also wrote the autobiography of Admiral Sir Sandy Woodward One Hundred Days which was an international best seller. I am thinking I may have to check out some of his other books too.

Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.