Author Topic: 475L vs 480 Ruger cylinder..accuracy, forcing cone wear, considerations...  (Read 734 times)

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Ok I am loading down by 475L FA for comfort, etc. but have the 480 ruger cylinder, some factory loads, brass, etc. but the question is this :
with the shorter overall length of the 480, will accuracy suffer; will the jump to the barrel from the cylinder wear or dirty up things greatly ? is there any down side at all to shooting some 480s...
I can find a few cheap hornady factory loads, and am tempted to get them shoot them and be able to reload them, but want to know if there is any reason not to.
One last consideration, what are the chances the 480 will shoot any where near point of impact for the 475L even if the speed of the bullet is close or identical ?
Is it just that there is not much reason to use the 480 cylinder when you can reload the 475L but there is reallly no down side to it ?
Inquiring minds want to know......
dk
plus I hate to miss a good deal on the factory 480s but it just dont feel right they are not cheaper than reloaded 475s.
thanks guys...
dk

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
they should work fine. Ive shot thousands of specials through 44 mags with no bad effects. Accuracy can be good or bad but then thats the case with any load. Sometimes i find that with lighter loads shorter brass actually gives better results. Point of aim is just something your going to have to try. Every gun tends to be a little differnt in that respect.
blue lives matter

Offline Ken ONeill

• Trade Count: (0)
As Lloyd says, you'll just have to try it to know.

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
Re: 475L vs 480 Ruger cylinder..accuracy, forcing cone wear, considerations...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 07:29:43 PM »
ordered  up a hundred more of them... so i GUESS  I will have to get the 480 ruger cylinder dirty..LOL Loaded up a couple hundred 475s low powerd with 7.8 g/ Unique...
wonder how much more fps and recoil it would be with 9.8Unique and the 420gr. cast..
dk
thanks, I will try thenm out, and let you know how the gun shoots with the lighter faster ruger loads compared to the heavier slower linebaugh loads.
i be they will be similar.
dk

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 11:08:26 PM »
By the way that .223 contendor carbine has been the death to the squirel population around the house the last couple weeks.
Ok I am loading down by 475L FA for comfort, etc. but have the 480 ruger cylinder, some factory loads, brass, etc. but the question is this :
with the shorter overall length of the 480, will accuracy suffer; will the jump to the barrel from the cylinder wear or dirty up things greatly ? is there any down side at all to shooting some 480s...
I can find a few cheap hornady factory loads, and am tempted to get them shoot them and be able to reload them, but want to know if there is any reason not to.
One last consideration, what are the chances the 480 will shoot any where near point of impact for the 475L even if the speed of the bullet is close or identical ?
Is it just that there is not much reason to use the 480 cylinder when you can reload the 475L but there is reallly no down side to it ?
Inquiring minds want to know......
dk
plus I hate to miss a good deal on the factory 480s but it just dont feel right they are not cheaper than reloaded 475s.
thanks guys...
dk
blue lives matter

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:21:07 PM »
that warms this old heart LLoyd, I was so hoping you would be pleased... I went through the cast bullets you provided so graciously and am about to pop a bunch of 44s and 45 toghether really soon... been fooling with this little 475 lately and it has had my reloading attentions recently... about to step up from 7.8 gr. uniqyue to 9.8 but do not want too big a jump, recoil wise.. I want to be able to shoot a couple hundred a week til hunting season comes.. and am in a little hurry to get to the little hotter load as that may be what I end up hunting with in the 475 once I work with it a while...
perhaps another two hudnred or four hudnred at the 7.8gr loading before stepping it up, but I hate to waste time especially the learning curve for different distances.
any tnoughts on the different recoil from adding two more grains of unique ?? that is another 20 per cent added to it, but the light load is really light and sweet.
what say you guys.. 20% more unique from 7.8 to 9.8 gr.
big recoil difference, what expected velocity.. if it is near 1000 fps it could be my hunting load for that gun this year..
dk

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 12:52:57 AM »
should give you about 1050 in that gun and recoil will be about like a stout 300 grain 44 mag load. Ive killed a few heads of game with loads like that and it leaves nothing to be desired.
blue lives matter

Offline kennisondan

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »
1050 fps, sounds really good to me by golly that will be the next 100 handloads, shooting the 80 or so  7.8gr loads and then the 100 9.8gr. loads, then I will settle down to loading them all the same at 9.8grains unique for this years hunting... with the 475 and 420gr cast pills...
that will be a learnable trajectory as well, as long as I get to it soon...will load the 44s and 45s about the same fps too ...easier on the old brain to learn just one trajectory at least close to one...
I was hoping the answer would be 100n fps or so and stiff 44 recoil, as I can do that pretty handily.
dk

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 05:36:01 PM »
Yeah, the only thing that the longer jump to the forcing cone does is lower pressure and reduce velocity... just a little bit, which you have with smaller brass anyways.   

The 480 is really nice to shoot.  Less recoil than a .44, good power and can use large bullets.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."