Author Topic: Starr Arms Co. Revolver  (Read 998 times)

Offline Papa Bear 47

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://scorrs.org
Starr Arms Co. Revolver
« on: July 23, 2003, 02:39:28 PM »
I have been thinking about buying a Starr Arms single action revolver for awhile.  I have been shooting Remington and Colt C&B revolvers for a long time.  Are they worth $350.00 that DGW wants for them?  They are so damn ugly that I feel a need to own one.

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
Starr Arms Co. Revolver
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 01:08:33 AM »
Papaa-Bear

Let me first say that I don't have one nor have I ever shot one.  All that I have read says that they're somewhat tender, with lots of parts that can and do break.  The DA is reportedly much worse than the SA, but you notice that there's not many of them being used in competition.  The original SA's were reliable for the Army to make large orders of them back in the Civil War, and they were, I think, the third most commonly used after the Colt and Remington.  Having said that, realize that not many of those survive to today, while Colt's and Remington's are relatively common.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline J. D. Higgins

Starr Arms Co. Revolver
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 03:12:50 PM »
Papa Bear,
    I bought a Pietta Starr  SA from Cabela's a little over a year ago.  I replaced the front sight with a taller one from Track of the Wolf, replaced the nipples with Ampcos from Dixie Gun Works, and did some de-burring on some of the internals.  Now I like it really well.  It groups well for me with one hand and it really grows on you after ya get the bugs ironed out.
With mine, it works better if ya ear that hammer back briskly, as if ya don't it sometimes catches.  Dixie now lists spare parts for them, also.
    Go ahead and get one if you like 'em; just be prepared to do a little tweaking on 'em.
Regards,
J. D. Higggins

Offline Stuffy25thIA

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Starr Arms Co. Revolver
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2003, 04:19:13 PM »
I have one of the single actions, had to do every thing J.D. had to do to make it shoot good.  But I sure do love it.  Feels real good in the hand.  Mine likes 13 gr. of fff with 10 gr. of cream of wheat filler.  Bought mine off the net for $200. plus shipping, if I was you I would search around first before buying from Dixie.  Seems to me that they are always higher in price than most other folks.
First liar doesn't stand a chance!

Offline Rob P.

Starr Arms Co. Revolver
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 09:15:59 AM »
I have a DA Starr, I am always fixing something. Right now I am waiting for new hand and springs from Dixie Gun Works. Even though she's tempermental though, it's a joy to shoot when it's working. SO if you want one be ready to tinker with it. Good Luck, Rob P.

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
Starr Arms Co. Revolver
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 03:50:56 AM »
Here's an observation with no particular point:
Ol' Clint used a Starr (I think DA) in The Unforgiven. Of course it was just a movie, and not an awful lot should be read into it.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
Starr Arms Co. Revolver
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 05:07:07 AM »
To clairfy myself, I should state that I have a LeMat, and most of the problems the Starr has can be stated about the LeMat, but it's fun to shoot none the less.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Papa Bear 47

• http://scorrs.org
Starr Arms Co. Revolver
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 05:23:15 PM »
Thanks guys.

The Starr is no longer on the Pietta web pages so I assume that they are no longer making them.  DGW was the only place that I could find them.