Author Topic: Disappointing Service from NEF  (Read 1244 times)

Offline RickC.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Disappointing Service from NEF
« on: August 29, 2007, 02:48:53 PM »
On July 17 I sent one of my frames/stock/forend to have a .308 Win barrel fitted to it.  Called ahead to make sure they were in stock.

Waited 3 weeks to check on it, was told it shouldn't take long, maybe another week.

OK.

Called back yesterday after nearly 6 weeks of hearing nothing from them, talked to the same lady.  Was placed on hold for nearly 10 minutes, and was then told it would ship out in the next 2 days.

What that tells me is that my rifle was shelved someplace and no attention was paid to it.  Hate to say it, but NEF's customer service (which has been excellent to me up until now) is slipping.  I hope I get that rifle back before the ranges get crowded.  What gets me about this is that I have sung the praises of NEF to anyone who would listen, and several people in Alabama have bought Handis based on some of the things I've said and an article I wrote on the rifles.   Even getting my .280 barrel reblued took under two weeks from the time I sent it in to the time I received it. 

I get questions about Handis fairly often, and now my answers will be along the lines of, "They're great little rifles, BUT..."

Rick
"You cain't teach what you don't know anymore than you can come back from where you ain't been"- John Osteen

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Disappointing Service from NEF
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 03:00:27 PM »
Didn't they just go through (end of July) their annual two week shut-down for vacation?

That MIGHT have stirred up their timing a little.

It DID take 4 months to get my .357 barrel - WELL WORTH the wait though.

First shot out the bbl was right on target (1-1/2" dot on cardboard at 25 yards, iron sights).  They also smoothed the trigger so there's NO creep and NO motion after let-off.  About a light as could be expected for the design too.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
Yup, they were closed the last 2 weeks of July, opened back up July 30th.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 04:40:14 PM »
Hmmm... Looks like they could have told me that, since I have talked to them about this 3 times now.  But they still sat on it, and that bugs me.
"You cain't teach what you don't know anymore than you can come back from where you ain't been"- John Osteen

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:39:57 PM »

When they get real busy...they add extra people to man the telephones...When this happens you'll sometimes get someone who is misinformed or just doesn't know how to do the C/S routine...It happens from time to time...Other times you can send a rifle into them to have serviced and a very large order comes in to be processed at the same time...and your order doesn't get filled first...It happens...and is frustrating...but take heart...it doesn't happen all the time ...Next time ask for Gordon or Jennifer directly...and you'll get the straight scoop on your order...and you still did good on the turn around time...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:06:32 AM »
Mistakes do happen.
You know they still use humans for some of there work.

I wouldn't get to worried about one bad incident.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 05:45:55 AM »
I think folks are expecting the turn around time to be short routinely, but they're right up front with the turn around time on the accessory barrel page and order form, it may take 6-8 weeks which was what it took which includes their summer break, so I don't think there's anything to be disappointed about.

Tim

To obtain an additional barrel(s), please take the following steps:
Open the firearm by pressing the release lever, and be sure the chamber is empty.
Remove the forend screw and forend.
With firearm fully open, lift the barrel off the hinge.
Carefully package the stock, forend and frame (receiver) for shipping. (DO NOT SHIP YOUR EXISTING BARREL.) Send by U.S. Mail or U.P.S. insured to the following address (DO NOT MARK CONTENTS ON THE OUTSIDE OF SHIPPING CARTON):

H&R 1871, LLC
ATTN: Barrel Accessory Offer
60 Industrial Rowe
Gardner, MA 01440

Enclose with your parts, a check, money order or credit card information payable to H&R 1871, LLC (no cash accepted) in the amount indicated for the barrel(s) requested, along with the completed order form. Please include the serial number of your firearm, your name, mailing address (no P.O. Boxes accepted) and your daytime telephone number.
Keep a record of the serial number of the returned firearm.
All prices are in U.S. funds and are subject to change without notice.
Due to licensing requirements, this offer is only available to U.S. residents.
During periods of high demand, please allow six to eight weeks for delivery of your additional barrels or accessories.

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 07:52:50 AM »
Except that I was told differently on the phone-- that the barrel was in stock and sure, send it in and they'd get it right back out to me.  Which is what happened the other times I've sent things to them, so I know they can do it.

From Hunter54 in another thread: " But she told me to send it in and they would look at it. In about two weeks I had my frame with a new bbl on it back."

I think we're talking about the same time frame here.  I glad he got the same service I've gotten before, they forgot about mine this time.

I'm not too upset with them and it's not a deal-breaker, it's just disappointing that they'd tell me one thing and do something else.  I'd expected better from them, based on past experience.

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 08:01:08 AM »
Unfortunately stuff happens when humans are involved in the equation, and what one person's "get it right back to you" means to them, means something else to someone else. If they received a bunch of accessory barrel orders during their shutdown, yours may have got out of order somehow and didn't get worked on in the order it was received, add the 2 week shutdown and that adds to the confusion, and it's very possible that they had UPS and USPS hold their deliveries for that two weeks.  And as busy as their phone people are, it would be real easy for them to not tell everyone about the shutdown, after all, they are just imperfect humans like the rest of us. ;)

Tim

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 10:01:38 AM »
Point taken.

At least I've had time to load up more .308 loads than I'll be able to shoot in one session...  I'm hoping the 22" barrel will allow me to take advantage of the slower powders that lose more velocity than I'd like in my trusty old 18 1/2" Rem 788.   WW 760 was my favorite powder for that rifle before I bought a chronograph!  Good thing 20 years of deer didn't know those bullets were 200 fps under book velocities, they could have just bowed up and made the bullets bounce off.

Rick

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 05:26:58 PM »
So KenSel sends his in August 5th and has it back. 

Good for him and I hope that .44 Mag's a tack driver,  but I think that proves my point.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 05:35:53 PM »
Rick, there's no point but that they got yours out of order, for Christ sake, get over it! >:(

Sheesh!! ::)

Tim

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »
Sure, soon as they send my rifle to me.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 06:07:02 PM »
Come on BIG BROWN!

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 07:27:17 PM »
 :)

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 06:58:16 AM »
Follow up--

Called again today.  Not only had the rifle not been shipped, I was told now that production was not able to supply the .308 barrels (remember, I was told "sure no problem, send it on" before I sent the rifle to them), and that they really couldn't say when the barrels would be in stock.

This is after being told last time, "It'll ship out in a couple of days".

OK-- 5 phone calls, 5 different stories.  I told the lady to please just box up my stuff and send it back to me.  At least it'll be ready to go in .30-30, thank God I didn't have to send that barrel in.

Now guys, I'm as big a fan of the Handi Rifle as anybody, but crummy service is crummy service.  Make excuses for them if you want to, but this was not good.  Especially since I've sent guns in to Remington, Ruger, Winchester, and KelTec over the years and experienced very good service.  This wasn't a matter of something getting out of order.

Live and learn I suppose, but NEF has just lost a very vocal cheerleader in this neck of the woods.

Rick

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 07:26:23 AM »

Who are you talking too there if I might ask?

Mac

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 07:32:07 AM »
Didn't ask her name, Mac.

The lady I've spoken to the other times sounds the same as the woman on the recorded greeting.  The lady today was different (and more polite), but I appreciated her honesty.  Apparently I was just blown off the other times, and I don't have much use for anyone who blows smoke at me. 

This was a problem of communication.  If the situation is as the lady told me a few minutes ago, then they should plainly SAY that when someone calls, and not just tell them whatever it takes to get them off the phone.  I wasn't abusive or snotty with these folks, they had no reason to handle this the way they did.

Poor communications, and (if what I was told today is true) poor management.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »

I am quite surprised you didn't ask for a name from the person you have talked several times...It is always the first thing I do whenever calling any company...this way you have a reference name to use when speaking with the management...As I suggested to you before...call and speak with Gordan or Jennifer...and explain this to them...either one will be able to help..

No one likes to have smoke blown at them..but...when dealing with any customer service..you need to have names...dates...and what was said to you each time...to be able to address it properly when going up the ladder to management...

Mac

Offline RickC.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 08:43:09 AM »
Yep, normally I would, but for one thing I trusted them from my earlier dealings and didn't see the need for it, and except for today she was very quick to get off the phone and twice left me talking to myself when I didn't know she'd hung up.

I did get a call back from Mary a few minutes ago but I can't make out parts of the message, will report back here whatever transpires.