Author Topic: geronimooooooo!!!!!!  (Read 749 times)

Offline cal44walker

• Trade Count: (0)
geronimooooooo!!!!!!
« on: June 12, 2003, 10:08:09 AM »
hey guys and gals

I made up my mind and took the plunge. Talked to richard corbin and ordered myself a Walnut Hill press and 2 dies to make an all lead 1e roundnose slug. I'll be casting all the cores at 448 so I leave myself open to the 45 acp and long colt as well as starting now with the 45-70. Man I cant wait. He estimated time at around four months which is gonna feel longer than it is. Looking forward to trying all sorts of bullet types and bases including paper patched. I went with Richard as the Walnut Hill press seemed have a little more room for those long heavy bullets I want to swage. His prices are better too. Gotta get myself a grooving tool from Corbins so I can get a little grease on that slug. Well, I guess they're gonna have to get out another chair soon at Swagers Anonymous. Now just got to start counting down the days.

47walker

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
geronimooooooo!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 02:38:08 PM »
:D there,

Congratulations on the good choice of press, it sounds like your halfway there to being hooked but good. Let us know how you enjoy swaging when you get your stuff.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
geronimooooooo!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 03:49:01 PM »
You should consider having RCEco provide a Base Guard punch, and get .458 BGs from Corbin Co. Beats grease. Speak to Richard about this option: he's a real PB/paper patch nut. While we are on Base Guards, they appear to beat gas checks and 1/2 jackets as to efficiency, and may cost a little less to boot. The BG punch from him certainly costs less than a cannelure or grooving tool. As a matter of fact you could get by fine just having a BG punch  rather than a Flat Base punch in your initial set. 8)

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
geronimooooooo!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 12:46:34 PM »
I use the base guards with good results.I dont like the grooving tool,it displaces the lead to much if you go to deep.You might try the diamond nurling tool (were is my spelling proof reader?)I like that It holds enough lube.Good luck with the project It's been rewarding for me.You will like thet RCE.press,it's worth waiting for its a tough machine and the dies are exelent Cal.
Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.