Poll

What would you have done?

The same as I did.
36 (92.3%)
Gotten the gun at home and filled the freezer out of season.
1 (2.6%)
Called the conservation officer and let them take care of it.
2 (5.1%)
Nothing, kept driving
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: January 21, 2003, 09:10:53 AM

Author Topic: Saved a deer's life this weekend...  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Saved a deer's life this weekend...
« on: January 21, 2003, 09:10:53 AM »
I was driving north out of my home town on the way to get my jazz band for a clinic on Saturday and just out of town I saw a deer that was hung up in the barbwire fence.  I have seen this before and put my tag on the unfortunate creature, but this was out of hunting season and this one didn't look like it was caught too badly, the ones I've seen are caught halfway up the leg and the leg's broke and bleeding and they've shredded it thrashing around.  This one happened to be caught by just the black part of the hoof and nothing appeared broken, I slowly walked up behind it and pushed the hoof out, the deer jumped up, went over the fence, ran about 20 feet and stopped and looked back as if to say, "what the hell was that about, they're supposed to kill me"  I'm sure it has since done fine, I feel like a gave back instead of filling my freezer this weekend.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
saving a deers life
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 04:48:36 PM »
I am not as mad at the deer this year as I usually am, the wife said I am just getting kind in my old age.  Thats why I probably would have done the same thing as you did. :D   JIM

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 12:12:11 PM »
I can't even bear to see a dead deer on the highway. I will usually stop and drag it out of sight as a gesture of respect.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Big

• Avid Poster
Free bambi
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 09:12:37 PM »
Have you ever seen one deer kick another?  It looks like it hurts!  And what if a barb were caught in the pad of the deer's hoof?  And just my luck a warden would walk up just then, misunderstand, and cite me for messing with a wild animal.  Nope, probably wiser to let the guys who get paid to know what they're doing handle something like that.
"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Offline tommyboy84

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 02:07:47 PM »
:twisted: I would be eating it right now :grin:

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2003, 03:06:10 AM »
I would be afraid of becoming a victum of a frieghtened deer.  Probably best to call the game warden for this one.  But you did a nobel thing.