Author Topic: BSA Quality?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline sdailey5

• Trade Count: (0)
BSA Quality?
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:59:53 AM »
How do people like the BSA rifle scopes? I have some friends who say they like them, however I have found these dear friends to have somewhat questionable standards. I realize that one often gets what they pay for and the BSA aren't exactly expensive--so any opinions are welcome.

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
Re: BSA Quality?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 11:44:21 AM »
I've got a couple BSAs' and they function okay for what I use them for, my Nikons' are much nicer, and my Mueller APV is as sharp as the Nikon in the same power. So the BSA may work for you at that price range and you may love it.
If you read enough about these scopes you'll find a lot of negative towards them, and those folks may have had a bad experience.  I haven't as yet. Good luck and good shooting.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 02:12:15 PM »
I've had two. One is ok I guess. I bought it because it was the only silver one I could find at the time. The other is junk. I'll not buy another.

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:50:03 PM »
Every time I have purchased a cheap scope I have regretted it.(yes I have done it more than once)  I just end up replacing them (eventually) and it costs me more in the long run.  I bought a BSA Platinum 8x32.  I opened it up, looked through it, and sent it back.  Some people love their BSA's.  But if you do a search you will see how many people do not love them.  It's just not worth it to me to buy a cheap scope that may or may not be junk.  What are you mounting it on and for what purpose?  I'm sure we could recommend a better scope that might not break the bank and give you years of reliable service.

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 06:55:26 PM »
The words "BSA" and "quality" do not belong in the same sentence!!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »
I am going to have to disagree with all of y'all on the BSA scopes. i put one on my .22 and dropped it and some body run over it and its still accurate and i do have Leupold mounts so its all based on opinions.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:07:43 PM »
I figure I'm batting between 250 and 500 on BSA scopes: Have had four. Two had problems.  Of the two I still have one is hunted the other is on a 22Lr target rifle that just punches paper (OK in bright sunlight - not good for low light).
    Ray

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:17:25 PM »
yeah. there not the best. i like my nikon buckmasters and leupold vx1 much much better
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 06:04:58 PM »
Had you asked before I owned one I'd have said they are pretty sorry but that would have been based on threads like this I've seen on numerous sites. But one came with my Gamo air rifle and I've been using both now for a couple of years and even tho I've also heard a lot of complaints about Gamo being poor quality I'm perfectly happy with both. I've not had to adjust the scope to keep it sighted in and it's bright and clear and works just fine on my air rifle. I have no complaints and in fact have bought a second one the BSA Sweet 17 I think it's called to go on my CZ American in .17 HRM. I've not mounted it yet so can't speak to how it's gonna work but I did look thru it when I got it and it too looks bright and clear and I don't expect any problems from it. After all if the springer air gun hasn't broken the other one the recoil of a .17 HRM isn't likely to damage this one.

If you're looking at that price range for a scope it looks to me like at least the two I've got will do OK by you. I'd not have bought the second had the first not worked as well and still likely wouldn't but for the feature it has of adjusting to the trajectory of the round. I liked that and it was the hook that grabbed me this time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 06:09:57 PM »
I have been thinking about buying the BSA sweet 22 for my 22 tell us how that scope works out on your .17cal

Rick

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 06:24:21 PM »
When I get my "round tuit" to mount it and shoot the gun I will but be aware they've both been sitting right where I placed them the day they came home with me for at least a year and a half now so don't expect instant gratification on it. It's only one of perhaps a dozen or so I've not yet fired and these days skeet shooting seems about all I'm doing.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 06:42:34 PM »
wow i don't think i could leave a gun sitting alone for 10mins. i can wait though i am not in a hurry to get that scope.

Rick

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 09:45:07 PM »
I have owned 3.One is still on my Savage .22 auto;it has always worked fine.The other two is a different story.I had 2 Red Dots on my Ruger Hunter .44 and BOTH of them didn't last 10 rounds.Both just came apart.The front lens just blow off.JUNK !! Like I said on the .22 it's fine,but anything with recoil.....BSA can't take it...........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 06:29:30 AM »
I've had a BSA on my 30-06 and my 50 Cal Muzzleloader for about four years with no problems with recoil. The only problem I have is that they are not very good for low light situations. If you don't mind that problem than BSA is not a bad scope. I think you have decide what you are willing to settle for. Granted you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a Swarovski, because there is plenty of mid price range scopes that are very good.
You can't kill 'em if you ain't in the woods.

Offline .308 Win.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 06:48:02 PM »
  I've had two friends who work in gun shops who tell me not to buy them because their reticles shoot loose.  Maybe for a .17 HMR or an airgun, yeah but for anything with substantial recoil, no. Said they'd had scopes returned for this reason. 

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 05:53:52 AM »
sounds like junk. i got rid of mine all ecept for my .17 and .22

Rick

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 06:57:56 AM »
I've had good result from BSA red dots. I have had one on my Mossberg 835 and during turkey season I was shooting 3 1/2 inch Magnums, with no problems. And anyone who has shot one knows what kind of recoil those "mules" have. I can't speak for the other guys, but their definition of quality is different than mine. Mine comes from not having a whole lot of money to spend. I am also looking at the BSA sweet 270 for my Remington 7400 in 270.
You can't kill 'em if you ain't in the woods.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 07:26:04 AM »
I have seen a couple of reticles fall off on BSA scopes mounted on centerfire rifles.  Same thing on at least one Simmons scope.

Zachary

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 07:55:37 AM »
I've had two experiences with BSA scopes, the first was a $30 supposedly water proof red dot, it fogged up on me on an 835 Ultimag the first time out patterning it in the rain, it went in the trash can. The other is an airgun scope that has held zero on a heavy spring air gun for 3yrs so far, but I only bought it due to Lawdog's (bless his soul) recommendation, I've seen far too many complaints about BSA optics to trust very many of them. The Sweet series seem to be very good and BSA's customer service is good from reports at RFC, and I think it may be a good thing since they have their share of Broken Scope Assemblies!! :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 11:41:58 AM »
I always see BSA scopes advertised in catalogs, but I don't recall them advertising their warranty.
I would never buy, other than for a .22, any scope that did not have a lifetime warranty, that is the bottom line.   This is a long time investment.
  It's bad enough wasting ammo and time on a malfunctioning scope without at least getting it fixed.  Oh and I forgot, how about when you get a bad scope and you think it is your gun or your mounts or your loads.  That's a real joy.  Cheap Gets expensive in a hurry.

Read the threads in GB.  You need to spend at least around $100-150 for a scope.  Look at Mueller and Bushnell. 
It really is not worth it.  Even if a cheap scope turns out to be good, you will always wonder when you miss or if and when it will break. Take it from an old cheap skate.  One of the secrets to long life is elimination of worry.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 03:21:17 PM »
It won't ever be as good as a Leupold...but hey.....I won't ever be miss America either.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 04:18:15 PM »
I have a 1.5 X 4.5 deerhunter that gave up the ghost and won't hold zero on my handi 45-70 after about 150 stout rounds. I have a 3x9x32 on a 22 mag that holds zero ell, but the cross hairs turn slightly with the adjustment. I have a RD 30 red dot that gave up the ghost and will not hold zero after 15 rounds through a 20 gauge smoothbore. And I havea a 2.3x20 on my 45-70 handi that seems to be holding up after a few hundred rounds. I will buy no more red dots or variable power BSA's But may but a fixed if in a pinch for a scope. Quality, well I think I got what I paid for and not an ounce more.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 06:16:25 AM »
I've had four BSA's and broke all of them. Three 30MM red dots on handguns from .22lr to .357 mag. They wouldn't hold adjustment and finally their light just went out never to be seen again. I also had a 1.5X4.5 that the crosshiars turned 45 deg. into an X on the 8th shot(slugs). I wouldn't use one if it was free, let alone ever buy one again.
Dave375HH

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 07:28:57 AM »
well the one on my 22 finally let go. i let my brother borrow it and he dropped it and the cross hair broke on one part i am going to see if i can try to do anything. i may just go ahead and get a leupold scope for it

Rick