Author Topic: what gun to get  (Read 627 times)

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
what gun to get
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:15:43 PM »
I have been shopping around a while for guns I  want. So far I have looked at the Remington Model 700 SPS for a mountian gun. Another Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint for long range. A 25.06 or .308 Handi Ultra Hunter Rifle for well just to have. A 300win mag, 7mm rem mag, 308 Encore Barrels. A Weatherby Vanguard, and a howa 1500. I can't decide so I thought I would run it by y'all. Ohh yeah i am wanting to top any of these off with a leupold scope.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: what gun to get
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:37:47 PM »
Anything in a Encore platform is nice I have a Encore in a pistol configuration with a 308 barrel I have taken 4 whitetails with it in the last 5 years. Nice gun I like it.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 02:43:03 PM »
just wondering about how much does your pistol weigh? and is it scoped?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »
I just got and encore rifle barrel for the first time and I love it. A blued standard weight in 308 at 24" until my gunsmith cut it off to 20", wow, it is short light and handy and accurate, i have wanted a rifle barrel for a long time so I bought the 308 on sale, 217 bucks. An inexpensive concept and I recommend it.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:21:22 PM »
whoa... was it used? where did you get it if it wasn't. i have been looking at begara and i hear very very good results i may go with them. sounds like a very nice setup.

Rick

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 04:50:27 PM »
I bought it new from Natchez. I plan on taking it to Canada for Caribou and Africa for plains game.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 05:54:24 PM »
I have a 308 pistol and I'm guessing it weighs in at 5 to 6 pounds with a scope and a 15" barrel.  In a bandolier type holster it's no problem.

Midsouth Shooters Supply is having a barrel sale right now, but I don't know exactly what all they have left.

Here's the link:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/tcbarrel_closeout2.asp

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 12:47:18 AM »
Buy the Remington. My preference is the LSS Mtn. Rifle line but I really like the looks and feel of the XCR rifles as well. As to chambering of it well that just depends on what ya gonna do with it. You can never go wrong with a .270 Winchester, 7-08, .280 Remington, .308 or .30-06 as all round use guns. I'll be picking up a new Remington Model 7 in .260 Remington most likely next week if it shows up in time just cuz I have a huge stock of 6.5mm bullets laying around and needed something to use them in. But on the rack was an XCR in .25-06 that almost came home with me but I've already sold all my .257" bullets and would have had to buy more to use it. Still it was tempting. I've not owned a .25-06 in at least 20 years maybe longer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 03:50:44 AM »
A Weatherby Vanguard, and a howa 1500. I can't decide so I thought I would run it by y'all. Ohh yeah i am wanting to top any of these off with a leupold scope.

Isn't the Weatherby Vanguard made by Howa? Howa used to make it for Weatherby if I remember correctly.

You can't go wrong with the Leupold, good scope and has the best guarantee on the market, if it breaks just send it in and they will repair it for free for lifetime.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 11:03:27 AM »
i was sorta leaning to the remington because my 700 is great and hearing good things about the sps from dale. the t/c is good too. i will be hunting hogs(russian), deer, and black bear with it. as far as the leupold scopes goes i own a couple and i love them.

Rick