Author Topic: NRA Whittington Center  (Read 2817 times)

Offline qajaq59

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
NRA Whittington Center
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:33:06 AM »
Has anyone hunted elk out at the NRA Whittington Center in New Mexico? I have a buddy that wants to go out and try it but he doesn't know too much about the place.
Any info you can come up with will be appreciated.
Thanks Qajaq59

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
Re: NRA Whittington Center
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 02:33:16 AM »
 :)  Howdy! I'm an endowed life member of NRA and I have visited the website for the Whittington Center.  I have entered the drawings a couple of times for the hunts as well.  The good news is that it sounds like a great place for a guided hunt for elk, mule deer, bear, antelope, etc.  Chances are good that you would get an elk if you hunt there.  Plus, they seem to have great lodging and meals and everything you need.  However, their prices seem high.  You and your friend need to decide if you want to spend close to $9000.00 each to get an elk.  That is a question only you and your friend can answer.  However, I have seen other hunt websites with similar pricing.  Good luck!   Always, Gene
Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 02:47:38 AM »
Thanks Gene. I passed your comments on to my buddy.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 07:18:20 AM »
Once upon a time it was a good place for NRA members to hunt and ONLY NRA members could hunt there and the cost was next to nothing, you just had to be the lucky one to get drawn. BUT the exalted leader of the pack LaPierre changed all that. Now it's all about money. If you want to hunt there expect to pay the price and it is a high one. Otherwise forget hunting there. The days of old are just that old and past.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:00:06 AM »
The state of N.M. has a list of ranches that allow people to hunt for a fee, don't remember
the name of the program. go to nmgf.com
A friend of mine went on one $2000.00 got a nice 7x7 this was by Cimarron
north east N.M.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 09:39:05 AM »
Once upon a time it was a good place for NRA members to hunt and ONLY NRA members could hunt there and the cost was next to nothing, you just had to be the lucky one to get drawn. BUT the exalted leader of the pack LaPierre changed all that. Now it's all about money. If you want to hunt there expect to pay the price and it is a high one. Otherwise forget hunting there. The days of old are just that old and past.

+1

GB I remember a few years ago when they were less then competitve ranches in NM and now that ridiculous figure they charge. Granted your guaranteed a very nice bull elk or Mule Deer but enough is enough and maybe the NRA should ask themselves how they ever managed to get the money in the first place in order to buy that fine facility. Thru its very stupid members should be the reply
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
I'm one of those "stupid members". I donated what based on my income was a substantial sum to the fund to buy and set it up. My name was supposed to be forever listed on a plaque or some such on the walls there. I doubt that lasted more than a year or two if at all. Since I've never been there I really have no clue.

The NRA has gotten all the money they ever will from me until LaPierre is fired.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 09:06:57 AM »
The NRA has gotten all the money they ever will from me until LaPierre is fired.

+1  a lot of people were and are getting soaked by the current leadership. Count me as one of them as well
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline Huntz

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 05:21:25 AM »
I am a NRA Life member.I am very dissapointed in their Money hungry ways.Hope they change!!!
Politically Incorrect

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »
I'm with you GreyBeard,life member sence 78 and wonderboy has sure ruined the NRA.I hunter my NRA range land alot in the early eighties,good mountain lion then plus you could always use a range.Now the boss has to be around for photo-opt for anything to happen there.