Author Topic: Stuck cases, slipping pass ejector .308...  (Read 784 times)

Offline flipp121

• Trade Count: (0)
Stuck cases, slipping pass ejector .308...
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:59:25 AM »
Hey everyone, been looking hard but cant seem to find any information on my problem.
Just bought my first handi rifle in .308 up here in canada.  Its a varmint ultra.  3/4 of the shells i put in wont
eject (yes it for sure has an ejector). I havn't polished the chamber yet. I notice when I insert the cartridge if i break the action all the way down, the shell slips past the ejector piece.  Yet it still closes, but when i break the rifle there is a little ring of brass casing shaved off.  If I only break the rifle just enough to get the shell in, it catches the lip of the ejector. What is going on here?

Thanks
Mark

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Stuck cases, slipping pass ejector .308...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 01:12:12 PM »
Welcome aboard, Mark!  ;) Will it eject an unfired round? It's normal for the rim to slip past the ejector when the barrel is broke all the way open, an extractor won't slip out of the way tho and captures the rim. I'd tear down the ejector components, clean it good, install a BB ahead of the spring and put it back together, make sure all the parts are installed, if the lifter spring or button are missing or if it's gummed up/dirty, it won't work right. Your only other choice is to ship it to one of the Canadian service centers, they're listed in the FAQs which I assume you've read, if not, start readin!! ;D  The ejector R&R info can be found in the conversion to extractor link, and polish the chamber if it still doesn't eject. ;) BTW, the 308 has only been available as the Ultra Hunter, 22" standard contour,  and Ultracomp with muzzlebreak, no Varmint that I've ever seen. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline .308 Win.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 04:31:33 PM »
Tim,

Did I read your post  correctly?  Did you say there was a .308 Ultra Comp?  When were they made and are they really hard to find?  I've never seen one or even heard of one, only the .30/06 and the .270.  I'd LOVE to buy one of those.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 05:06:11 PM »
I didn't think there was either, but they've been reported here a couple times, and a 308 UC barrel was sold on ebay a year or so ago. If they were actually made, there must not have been many made or they'd be more prevalent, maybe a special order for someone at one time.

Tim

Offline georgeld

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 09:53:07 PM »
Pardon my question.

BUT: what's an ultra comp??????

Thanks,

George
LM: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, NWTF
"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
It's about Control, join the NRA today!!"

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 04:24:32 AM »
Pardon my question.

Thanks,

George

Here's the "Comp" end of it...

H&R 270 Ultra Comp

The compensator was designed to reduce felt recoil on the rifle.

Bill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 05:39:27 AM »

Bill

And ruin your hearing!!! ;D

Tim

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 06:13:38 AM »
 :D Oh yea!

I forgot to mention, EXTRA hearing protection recommended!!!

Bill

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 07:31:35 AM »
Pardon my question.

Thanks,

George

Here's the "Comp" end of it...

H&R 270 Ultra Comp

Bill

Actually no...it was designed to reduce the muzzle lift of the rifle..and Marlin used the same port design on their lever guns when they offered them...They used it on their 1895 Guide gun series except in a  non removable application..Both do reduce some of the recoil as well...but where this port design shines the greatest is on really hard kickers like what the 45-70 can be...and what the 450 Marlin is...and is but isn't really a muzzle brake...it's a compensator...and the reduced recoil is a added benefit...not the primary reason for its design & usage...It may seem silly for a single shot as opposed to that of a repeater...but...this is the design it is...

Also...much to my disappointment...I have to say...for the record...per Gordon at NEF as of today...they never produced a 308 Ultra-Comp...So what was billed as the 308 UC on e-bay or any where else wasn't made by H&R/NEF.....There were no special runs for any of their distributors...to his knowledge and that the 270 & 30-06 Ultra Comps were the only limited run every made...

So...if it was indeed a 308...it was done by someone else...which is entirely possible since the the comp on the 270/30-06 is removable and another barrel can have been threaded for it to be used on...or...a different compensator that can be easily machined and fitted...was used....Either way could be very useful for a target 308 Handi...and still very much desirable...I would buy one in a heart beat if the price was right...and it was done as good as the factory offered 270's or 30-06's...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »
I did an internet search on the Ultracomp,  I didn't find any reference to it being available in 308, just in 270 and 30-06, I did find more than one reference to the compensator as being designed to reduce felt recoil, no mention of its potential for reduced muzzle lift, which it does also. They read identical like they were quoted right out of the H&R catalog which I suspect is the case. ;)

Tim

The Ultra Comp on the other hand is designed to reduce felt recoil
while maintaining proper rifle esthetics. The outside diameter of the
compensator contours smoothly with the barrel profile, maintaining
good looks and correct balance. Both are covered by the NEF Lifetime
No Fault Service plan.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/736008008334.html

No Fault Service plan.
http://thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=37150

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 09:06:08 AM »
I stand corrected Mac.  ;D

"muzzle compensator"
From Department of Defense

Definition: (DOD) A device attached to the muzzle of a weapon which utilizes escaping gas to control muzzle movement.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bill

It's still one loud shooter... ;)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 03:09:11 PM »
I did an internet search on the Ultracomp,  I didn't find any reference to it being available in 308, just in 270 and 30-06, I did find more than one reference to the compensator as being designed to reduce felt recoil, no mention of its potential for reduced muzzle lift, which it does also. They read identical like they were quoted right out of the H&R catalog which I suspect is the case. ;)

Tim

No Fault Service plan.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/736008008334.html

No Fault Service plan.
http://thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=37150

These are two more examples of why we should not try to gain gun knowledge from Advertisements/Marketing people.

Thanks OR-E-Gun Bill for providing the CORRECT definition. The military has put compensators to good use to reduce muzzle climb in autos for a long time. Now muzzle brakes, that's a different story.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 07:31:45 PM »

Your right Nomo...These barrels were discussed in length on the old H&R talk forum a few years back..and the advertisement was quoted often...but...then...as now...they still are a compensator for the most part....Most agreed with the same sentiment then...as today...they do reduce recoil some what...depending on the load...and do a real nice job reducing muzzle climb..and are loud...It wasn't till just a couple years ago...they found a bunch of them stashed away in a out of the way storage bin at the factory and made them available to us briefly...this made many of us extremely happy with being able to own a few of them..because until then...they were as scarce as hens teeth..Most of these are very good barrels and give great to excellent accuracy...There are much better muzzle brakes available for those wanting one...but...they are even louder to the shooter than these are...unless you get one that you can close off the ports on...or...get a thread protector fitted to these and remove it.....Then you can have the best of both worlds..unlike the fixed porting on the Marlin rifles...One just needs to remember to not fire these comp'd barrels next to anything that can redirect the sound back at the shooter...or on a crowded firing line...doing either of these things may be hazardous to your health   :D :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline flipp121

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 05:07:26 PM »
I have been very busy with work and couldnt respond.  My mistake it is the .308 "Ultra". The problem
has been resolved, thanks for your replies.  Cant wait to try it out at the range again! I've only ever owned milsurp rifles and this
thing is a tack driver compared to what im used to. I've never shot so well as with this thing. Since this forum doesnt have a search function I have a question, can I use any load (say lee manual) available for a .308 and consider it safe in my handi? Recoil aside (these things little guns kick like a mother)

Mark

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 05:27:26 PM »
Sure, just be sure to work that load up using normal safe reloading procedures, start low and work up. Milsurp traditionally doesn't work well in most Handis, although there are exceptions to every rule, but  H&R does specifically recommend not using milsurp in their firearms tho. ;)

Tim