Author Topic: Is their any advantage between aluminium or steel?  (Read 526 times)

Offline Dobermann

• Trade Count: (0)
Is their any advantage between aluminium or steel?
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:14:11 PM »
I have just been on to my gun dealer about buying a SIG SAUER P 226 X-SIX 9mm,
and he has asked me if I want the steel or aluminium version question is which should I choose?

Regards

John

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Is their any advantage between aluminium or steel?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 12:43:06 AM »
If your going to shoot the snot out of it id go steel. If its going to be a ccw gun that is carried alot more then shot id go with aluminum.
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 01:19:48 AM »
I guess I am an old, hard headed fart but I like steel.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 02:58:45 AM »
Im with both Loyd and William on this one, I really like steel and over the years I have learned that if the gun is too HEAVY it doesnt get carried like I thought it would, I carry a handgun all day every day and if its heavy you will eventually leave it home and not carry one if you dont happen to have one that fits your comfort lever on weight.   JIM

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:55:11 AM »
If your going to carry it a lot AND you hand load, I would get the aluminum. Then you can load light rounds for practice and "shoot the snot" out of it with those. Your gun and your hand will appreciate that. Then, put full boat loads in it for carry purposes.

Best of both worlds.

MHO

Dave

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 06:35:26 AM »
Given the uses to which you said you'd put it in your previous post I'd say go with the steel. The lighter weight materials do make for a nicer carry gun but not for a better shooting gun.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »
Given the uses to which you said you'd put it in your previous post I'd say go with the steel. The lighter weight materials do make for a nicer carry gun but not for a better shooting gun.

In your previous post you said What I will be using it for is general target competitions so accuracy is very important and ease of use.  Well, now that's an important piece of information. So, that being the case I would buy the steel. If your going to shoot target competitions, your not going to be happy unless it's steel. Aluminum would not take the beating, and neither would you.

Dave.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 09:00:36 AM »
steel !
for what its worth some company in Richmond VA. is making Glock frames out of al and steel , says Ti is coming , said police departments wanted a frame that would stand up to uses they put guns to other than shooting , i guess they refer to pistol whipping or such ! and competitors wanted a 1911 feel !
they are still trying to make the others be a 1911 !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !