Author Topic: Gentlemen, Alittle Mtn. Howitzer help please...  (Read 533 times)

Offline doubleduece

• Trade Count: (0)
Gentlemen, Alittle Mtn. Howitzer help please...
« on: September 12, 2007, 11:36:29 AM »
I am getting ready to order a Hern Mountain Howitzer barrel. But I have some questions since I have not seen one of these in person. First I am wondering how much  work I will need to finish the barrel. I had restored a Hern Coehorn mortar awhile back and the surface was inconsistent with some voids and the lines not being so crisp and I am wondering if this is what I should expect from the new barrel. I have heard of people turning them and I assume that means a lathe, but I have no access to one. I am wondering if the surface can be sanded, or worked using a die grinder and pads, or can I fill the voids with epoxy or similar products. I know you are the wealth of info and could use some tips. Also, is the muzzle relatively square to the bore? As my mortar was not quite. I am looking to make this a sharp looking piece, as I need it to replace a 3/4 scale 1841 6 pounder barrel at certain reenactments that will not allow sub-full scale pieces.
     On a side note, Does anyone know where I could find one these made in brass? The closest thing I have found is a cast bronze BBL at $5k. I would much rather have a brass one if I could find one or have one turned reasonably. Tanks.DD ???

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Gentlemen, Alittle Mtn. Howitzer help please...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:54:19 PM »
When restoring cast iron machine tools, voids in the casting are frequently found to be filled with some kind of putty so the casting looks nice.  It kind of comes with the process.  If you read Muller, you will find him talking about this issue.  So I would expect any cast iron barrels, except maybe the most premium, to have repaired casting flaws.  They are probably not a cause for concern unless in the bore or extremely large, and a reputable foundry shouldn't be releasing anything with flaws that are remotely hazardous.

The Hern barrel is underbored; 2.25" versus full 12 pounder diameter of 4.62".  This is most likely a liability issue to prevent lawsuits or at least have a leg to stand on if someone sues them claiming a flawed product.  So you should verify with your reenactment groups whether underbored guns are acceptable.  Shouldn't matter if all you are doing is making smoke but sometimes groups like that get caught up in stupid rules.

The originals were brass/bronze.  I think South Bend Replicas offers a brass one, probably underbored also, but it is not going to be cheap.  Try their website for a contact number.  They mention the mountain howitzer but there are no photos on the site.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline doubleduece

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Gentlemen, Alittle Mtn. Howitzer help please...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 03:04:54 PM »
Yeah, my 3/4 1841 is a 2.25" bore as well as my Coehorn. So I should be fine. I will look into that brass one thanks.