Author Topic: IMI Desert Eagle  (Read 894 times)

Offline JerryNH

• Trade Count: (0)
IMI Desert Eagle
« on: August 31, 2007, 01:18:54 AM »
Any comments about the IMI Desert Eagle MK VII .44 Magnum? Positive or negative, I saw a few on Gunbroker.com and was just wondering about it. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Offline Georgen71

• My page at myspace
Re: IMI Desert Eagle
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 08:38:06 AM »
I have a Mark 7 in a 357 that I like a lot. The newer ones have a bigger rail for scopes instead of the 3/8 .22 rail on the mark 7. I bought a shoulder holster from them and felt I paid too much for it. I plan on putting a red dot device on mine so have to get an adapter by QuickSite from midsouth shooter supply. The newer models it would just fit on the weaver mount. I bought a chest holster for my guns and it is a better product. Here is the link for that site. Check it out. http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/ Hope this helps, Geo.

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:14:29 PM »
I don't own one, but have shot a friend's. His was accurate, and recoil was mild because of the weight and gas operation. It's bulky, though, and perhaps best suited to a person with long fingers.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 04:28:22 AM »
I agree on the bulky comment. I have a mark iv, I think that's the model number, I bought it in the late eighties. It shoots very well and yes the weight and action help with the recoil. The one thing to make sure of though is if you shoot it from a sitting position make sure your shirt is pulled over the gap in the back of your pants! It isn't easy to get a flaming hot 44 case out of your crack while trying to keep a loaded 44 pointed in a safe direction. Yes that's the voice of experience talking. ;D
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 02:20:36 PM »
"Accurate" depends on how you define it.  If you're talking about 50 yard accuracy, I'd say they're accurate (plenty accurate for hunting).  They don't meet my criteria for 100 yard hunting.

Also, if you're going to spend the money on a Desert Eagle, get the 50 AE.  At least you'll have bragging rights.  There are more accurate handguns if you want a 44 Magnum.

The good thing about a Desert Eagle in 44 Magnum; the recoil is really soft.

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 07:40:25 PM »
I have large palms, and the DE was too large for me to ever learn to shoot comfortably and naturally....witht he red dot it was capable of easily hitting a one inch target at twenty five yards, I just never adapted to the girth of the handle, it did not allow my finger reach around to the trigger fro best accuracy, or comfort...
soft recoil, though
dk

Offline doncisler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 03:05:45 PM »
shoot one before you buy it!!!  i had to have one when they first came out.  hated it.  it didn't like handloads and you have to use jacket bullets (not a problem for me, i use them on most of my 44 loads).  just hated the way it felt, i have huge hands and it still felt odd.  the recoil is two separate motions, don't know if it is because of the action or the weight of the slide or what but i didn't like it.
put em where you want em

nra life menber
nahc life menber

Offline JerryNH

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 01:38:45 AM »
Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate them!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:03:32 AM »
buddy had a 50ae. IT sure didnt lack in accuracy. As a matter of fact it was one of the most accurate handguns of any kind that ive ever shot. 3/4 inch 25 yard groups were routine out of it. Sure was big and bulky though.
blue lives matter

Offline bearfat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • "Nothin but giant rats with stubby little tails"
    • Deer/Bear hunting Northern Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 09:50:10 AM »

Keep an eye on the piston and hole it rests in. I've pulled mine out of the safe a few times and found some nasty looking stuff on it.

Even found some rust weeping out of the gas port itself in there 2 weeks ago but alas the poor DE had not been fired for a long time. I asked a smart DE guy what damage I might have and he said not to worry. Told me to suck up some kroil oil in it and blow the rust out with a few rounds.

They are a heavy piece esp if it's not your primary and just a back up. Mine usually was back at the cabin by day three of a hunt and only recently came back out of the safe like I say for some action.

I was looking at the prices...wow. I paid $700.00 way back when. Could almost sell it for the same as I bought it...just like a Harley!!
bearfats cabin:    http://buckmountainchateau.com/