Author Topic: A few thoughts and facts on Collecting (H&Rs and others)  (Read 11749 times)

Offline 32 Magnum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
A few thoughts and facts on Collecting (H&Rs and others)
« on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:04 AM »
I wrote this posting on "another" forum, in response to a bunch of negative postings regarding collecting "junque" guns, which the poster(s) identified as Iver Johnsons, H&Rs, Hopkins and Allens, Forehand, Forehand & Wadsworth, etc. - you know - all the non-S&W/Colt/Winchester/Remington/High Standard etc. HIGH END collectibles.  I offer it here, because I thought it was pertinent to this site, also.  Although, we don't see as much "negative" crap here as on other sites.  It's a bit long, but - I enjoyed rereading it this AM.

I think a general FYI is due here. I began collecting H&R firearms just about 16 years ago. At that time, prices were fairly low, because demand for these guns, as collectibles, was also low. I was able, for a couple of years to set my limit for purchase price at $100. The pricing guides available at that time, were woefully inadequate with respect to descriptions and information and well as pricing. As my collecting HABIT became more fixed in my psyche, I found myself in possession of most of the "commonly" available and lower cost examples, models and variants. I also found the prices rising a bit, from year to year - this from personal experience, not internet chatter or listings in so called authoritative guides. My collection expanded, as I became able to spend more on needed items. I found myself raising my bar to 200, then 500 and finally to over 1000 bucks for items that were scarce or were cross collectible. This often put me in "conflict" with S&W and Colt collectors, as well as generalist collectors. Over those past years, I have personally purchased over 600 H&R firearms, of all types and flavors - some of them quite rare and eminently desireable as attested to by the winning bids on on-line auctions, live auctions and gunshows, other collectors, etc. I became acquainted with several high level colletors of H&R specialty/rare/scarce firearms as well as several well known researchers/authors. During the past few years, as more information has become available both on-line and in print (primarily "THE BLUE BOOK..." rewrite) the interest in H&R firearms, as well as other "inexpensive" brands, has increased and the collecting of these firearms has driven the prices to higher levels. Over the past 3 years I have sold close to 200 examples of H&R handguns, of all ages and models, etc. - most being duplicates of better examples - and have only TWICE (out of approx. 200 times) either lost money or broken even (1 time each) with what I originally had invested in those pieces. Most of these ~200 items, were sold through one of the top on-line auctions and the remainder were sold, personally, by me at gunshows at which I worked with a couple friends who hold FFLs - in PA you must transfer ownership of modern handguns through a licensed dealer. In most cases my "GAIN on INVESTMENT" was 20 to 50% - in some cases it was as high as 142%. These returns are MEGA times better than any monetary investment that I've made in the past 30 years.
My point? Well, I'm saying that to baldly state that H&R, IJ, H&A, etc. firearms are cheap, inexpensive, poorly made S-N-S type firearms that don't sell for more than 100 bucks, is, well, just plain wrong. I've bought and SOLD H&R handguns for over $800. I've bought several shotguns for just under and just over $1000. I've bought several rifles (M1 Garands) for well over $1400 each.
I'm not suggesting that anyone should get into collecting any type of firearm and expect it to perform as well as my collecting/collection has - of course timing is everthing - but the fact remains - there are people interested in getting their feet wet in the collecting field and who don't want to spend their entire "poke" on one single example of a S&W Model 3 or Colt Model P SAA or a Winchester HighWall in 50-110, but would like to have several to many pieces of honest American historical firearms that show the development of that Industry over time.
I know this is long and probably boring to most readers, but I've been biting my tongue for years when reading the POOH-POOH that is written about H&R and other firearms of that class. Usually from people who have an agenda or bias towards the "QUALITY" collectible, in their estimation, firearms. Do what you want to do, but don't try to squash what others want to do.
I agree that the rewrite and repricing done for H&R firearms, beginning with the 29th Edition of "THE BLUE BOOK of GUN VALUES" by S. Fjestad, has gone a long way towards opening some folks eyes to the collectibilty and values of H&Rs. We need some "new blood" to get into the Hopkins and Allen, Forehand and Wadsworth, etc. collecting and research, so that these old venerables can take a rightful place in the collecting/pricing guides.
Thanks for reading.

Jim Hauff, H&R Collector and Researcher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Hauff, H&R Collector and Researcher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: A few thoughts and facts on Collecting (H&Rs and others)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:06:42 AM »
Thanks Jim, keep up the great work!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jim ritchie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:44:07 AM »
Jim,
I read this on the "other" site also.
Well said!
Deceased 3-31-2012

Offline kid buckskin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:21:23 AM »
That's it in a nut shell!! I to have colected these little tresures and most of time there not in great shape but I have been able to revive them a little but more importaintly make them look and work well there not the the high end stuff but I can afford to buy one once in awhile fix the action and with little or no money to lose

Offline Tx-XDm

• Like them guns
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:50:48 PM »
Hi Magnum,
That was some interesting reading and not boring at all.
It has perked my interest up from a new recent model Handi- Rifle owner to maybe trying to collect a few if it's still feasible to try and do.
 ;)
Proud Member of the NRA and TSRA.

Christian by Choice,
American by the Grace of GOD.

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 05:17:17 AM »
Hi Tx-XDm,
Thanks for the support.  H&R collectible handguns are still out there is more numbers and varieties than I can remember seeing in a long time.  Looks like the cork is out of the bottle.  Prices have jumped pretty well over the past couple years - but it is still possible to begin collecting the "common" pieces at reasonable prices - $150 for v.good down to around $65-75 for lesser condition.  Large Variety means more chance to begin and expand a decent collection.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »
Jim thanks for reviving this post can't believe I missed it the first time. I agree 100% and am glad you are here for  us. I know when I first started collecting the H&R's there were snickers but when you really start to get into them you don't here that much anymore . Although my collecting is pretty much limited to examples that I will still hunt with a few of them have got me being really careful when taking them out. Thank you for being here to give freely of your knoweldge. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"