Author Topic: mule deer hunt info please  (Read 1088 times)

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
mule deer hunt info please
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:58:12 PM »
Hello everyone ,
          My hunting partner and i are looking to hunt out west for the 1st time and need suggestions.We thought we'd cut our teeth on a antelope hunt in Wyoming but some of these guided ( we are looking for guided only) hunts seem expensive for a 3 day hunt considering how easy they can be to hunt (from what i've read). I was thinking about spending a little more and doing a mule deer hunt.Where can one go for a reasonable price and take a respectable deer ? Also i'd prefer not to hunt horseback nor climb steep mountains all day.We're both close to 50 but my buddy isnt in good enough shape to hike big mountains.Well , for that matter i've never hiked over 5400 foot elevation out here in Ny either.So,where can one go for a flat land  or rolling hills kind of hunt and still take a mulie buck that is a good representation of the species.Which states are non-resident friendly as far as chances of getting a tag etc..?
Shooter

Offline crow_feather

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: mule deer hunt info please
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 08:32:03 AM »
I used to hunt Northeastern Montana because a guide wasn't necessary.  They have Block Management Units where people are allowed to hunt private property free and with the help of the land owner.  I have not been back in a while since I moved to Idaho, but when I was there, deer were abundant, and you got what you were willing to walk for.  Friendly people, lots of deer, and private property where you are the only hunter.

I also hunted with Allan Bros. Guide Service in Wyoming.  I asked them to assist me (for a fee) in getting the right area, and showing me the places in that area where I might have success.  It worked out very well with all of us hunters going home with tags filled.

Where ever you go, I wish you the best of luck in your hunt

ps: there is a person - NONYA - on this site that lives in Montana and is pretty knowledgeable about hunting up there.  You might give him an e-mail.  (don't mention my name though)
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »

There was a time when over the counter mule deer licenses were sold in South Dakota. The Cheyenne River Breaks north and south of Wall were some of the best hunting ever!  Now the state is cut into over 100 deer management units with application requirements that favor large landowners or locals with several years of accumulated preference points. 

Northern California has excellent mule deer range in Lassen and Modoc counties.  Hybrid of mix between mule deer and blacktails are found throughout the Sierras.  Try Carson-Iceberg Wilderness for a backpack hike into awesome high elevation mule deer hunting.

Western Colorado still produces big heads.  I hunted this large 6 X 5 buck less than 20 miles from town of Rifle.

Good hunting to you.
TR 

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 12:24:32 PM »
I'm headed out to Wyoming to mule deer hunt next weekend. I'll be hunting fairly easy lowland because I didn't get the area I wanted. I drew this tag in the second chance drawing. My expectations are not too high. Well see.
You have to plan a year ahead with Wyoming. I don't really know what states are easy to get licenses for this year, None I've been to. Maybe a guide could get you a tag in some states? When are you planning on going? :)

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 06:23:29 PM »
Freddogs ,
       looking at fall of 2008.I'm checking out a mule deer guide in Nebraska currently.Please let us all know how your Wyoming hunt goes ,take some pics and post them if you could.
Shooter
Shooter