Author Topic: OT-shipping a firearm and ammunition  (Read 226 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
OT-shipping a firearm and ammunition
« on: September 16, 2007, 03:07:45 PM »
I have sold a non-working 8mm mauser and have removed the bolt and have the rifle less bolt boxed up separately from the bolt. I will ship the bolt and a box of ammunition in a separate box assuming these two separate shipments would be legal to ship on ups. Does anyone know what the ups regs are on non working firearms or disabled firearms. Sorry if I shouldn't have posted this here I just know that there is allot of great knowledge and helpful people here at the NEF Forum. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: OT-shipping a firearm and ammunition
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 03:13:42 PM »
There is no reason to disable it to ship UPS.

A firearm is still a firearm weather its functional or not. Federal Firearm Regulations will apply if it is a firearm. SOME 1898 Mausers are on the curio/relic list. Most do not. Its a very gray area for dealers, most just consider it a firearm and call it done.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 03:17:43 PM »
UPS accepts firearms for shipping, ammo has to be shipped separately and marked ORM-D and small arms ammunition. It must be accepted at a UPS Customer Center, the UPS stores can't accept the rifle or ammo. If you're selling it, it needs to go to an FFL regardless if it's working or not unless it qualifiies as a C&R firearm.

Tim

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
You can only ship your package that contains a firearm from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers
When you  are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk
You can use UPS daily pickup accounts to ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup
Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS Express CriticalSM service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for shipping firearms
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:23:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 04:09:57 PM »
Why would you separate a bolt from the rifle?What happens when the bolt gets lost in shipment?I'll chalk this up to lack of experience on your part.Always ship a COMPLETE rifle by  US Post office Priority Mail insured.
Always ship ammunition separate via UPS marked "ORM-D".
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.