Author Topic: problem with mounting rings  (Read 329 times)

Offline Dave Allen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
problem with mounting rings
« on: September 16, 2007, 02:41:53 PM »
hello..i just picked up some burris "ZEE" ring's i can't get them to fit over the scope rail...am i having a blonde moment ?? i'm sure these are the same ring's i used on my 243...#420082...anybody else use these ??

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: problem with mounting rings
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 02:48:27 PM »
This has been my single biggest beef with ZEE rings. Too bad too as they are a really great product otherwise!!

Remove the cross screw and carefully insert a reg blade screw driver. Twist to open the slot ever so slightly. Go slow and try to see fit often, no need to open it to far and weaken the whole thing...

Good luck,

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 02:49:01 PM »
The clamp needs to be spread just a tad, I use the blade of a small flat tipped screwdriver, tap it into the expansion slot to spread the clamp just a little and it should slide right on. It doesn't take much, too much and you might damage the ring.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 02:57:34 PM »
I like the Burris Signature Zees A LOT, I have 28 rifles with scopes mounted in them, and another 6 pairs on the shelf for future mountings. ;D I broke a Burris screw off in one of em once, emailed a pic of it to Burris, 6 days later I recieved a new pair of rings in the mail, it don't get no better than that for CS. I use socket head screws to replace the funky slotted head base clamp screws, have never broken a screw since that one. ;)

Tim

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 03:52:25 PM »

Y'all should try some B-Square rings some time. Dem are sure nuff some slick rings and overbuilt to boot.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Dave Allen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 04:26:59 PM »
tim thank's for the tip...i followed your advice...got everything mounted up...look's good.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Not to pick on Burris, but are they still using that small Allen screw to attach the top half of the ring?  I have had many strip out the Allen. I have a couple in a box with drilled out screws from this happening.

We sold a brand new Burris scope to a customer one day. He brought it back about a week later with a minor problem and we sent it back to Burris for repair. It came back, but with a nasty scratch. We returned it, explaining that the this was new and the scratch wasn't there when it was sent back. We got it back a couple days later along with a note saying something about blemish's not being covered. This went back and forth for about a month, to no avail. We ended up eating the cost of that scope and its repair to save the customer. We dropped Burris scopes from our line a short time after and haven't sold them since. That was about 6 years ago. I couldn't imagine a company taking a stand like that.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 04:43:47 PM »
Never had a problem with the T-15 torx head ring cap screws, nor have I ever read of a problem. I do use a torque screwdriver to tighten them to 24 in/lbs as recommended by Burris and several other rings mfrs. ;) Others have complained about Burris CS too, but I'm happy with em and the 3 Full Field II scopes I have. ;D

Tim