Author Topic: Camo pattern for Antelope Hunting?  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Skeezix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Camo pattern for Antelope Hunting?
« on: July 12, 2007, 04:02:53 PM »
I'm going to WY speed goat hunting again this fall and have finally worn out my old original Mossy Oak camo, which blended quite well with the sage. 

What's a good camo pattern for antelope or western hills/plains hunting?  I've seen the new military digital camo and thought that it might possibly be a good choice.
Skeezix

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Offline Turtle

• Avid Poster
Re: Camo pattern for Antelope Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:31:34 AM »
Check out Kings line of Shadow camo.  The make some great patterns for plains and sage which I would think is what you'd be hunting up there.  We've also used just tan shirts and pants (just Carharts) for Antelope and it's worked good.

-turtle-

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 05:20:11 AM »
Faded denim blends in pretty well with sage brush.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:44:54 AM »
Here's some food for thought, add a lightweight silhouette decoy to your camo as a portable blind. I've only hunted antelope once, but I've watched a bunch of videos where the hunter(s) used decoys to hide behind as they made their stalk, one pair of hunters  even used a home made silhouette of a beef cow to hide behind as they stalked close, since it was on range land!! With the antelope's 8x vision, it probably doesn't make too much difference what camo you wear as you can see in the first link below.

Tim

http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Pronghorn_Antelope/Bowhunting_for_Prairie_Goats_10080312.html

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=30540&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

http://www.huntinfo.com/livehunts/mtlope/day1.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 06:18:51 AM »
If I was archery hunting, I would  wear my nat gear, but since I've only rifle hunted to the goats, I just wear the toughest material I have which is usually denium.   I really hate those cactus spines.  Staying completely out of sight is the best.  Knee pads and leather gloves do more to keep them from seeing you than camo. The cactus spines will also go thru nylon hiking boots.  I have learned to be careful when I sit or kneel for a shot because it  scares the goats when I jump up and yell with tiny cactus sticking out my knees or butt.    I once crawled down a ditch to within 500 yards of 5 does and a good buck.  I peeked over the sage a couple of times and they spotted my gray felt hat (same color as the sage) immediately.  The does started bobbing their heads and walking toward me.  They stopped at 150 yds and started acting nervous so I dropped the buck. I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 07:39:49 PM »
I think that Cabela’s Seclusion 3D open Country is ideal.  A similar boonie hat, with a snipers veil helps fill out the outfit.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076-cat470168&id=0014371940506a&navCount=5&podId=0014371&parentId=cat470168&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat470168&hasJS=true

I have a snipers veil that goes over the boonie hat that is very light and thin so that I do not over heat.  It covers my glasses without distorting my vision.  I also recommend leather gloves that are good for shooting and kneepads.  A pair of twizzers could come in handy for removing spines from you hands and knees.  A small camo daypack is handy with a couple of quarts of water.  I carry a bottle of diluted Gator Aid.  The old sun, and low RH can sap your strength.

Does Wyoming have a blaze orange requirement?

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 09:32:24 AM »
Reply to Sisk...   Yep,  you have to wear orange on the upper half if gun hunting.   Hat, vest, shirt, coat, etc.    At least one peice is the way I read it.   I may start out with several pieces of orange  but when it gets hot I may wear only a mesh vest or an orange cap.  I prefer a felt hat, for shade,  but when the wind really gets to blowing I  go to a cap. 

Offline NONYA

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »
I wear the Montana ghost pattern with a broken(cammo) orange short sleeve vest while rifle hunting,I use ghost river and ghost prarie mixed while bow hunting,on cool days i wear a timber patterned sweatshirt,I think any pattern that breaks up your outline is effective,antelope have AWESOME eyesight,its motion that will give you away,not your cammo pattern.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 06:19:50 AM »
Hey No,

I'll bet you were in a blind to shoot that goat, so doesn't the blind cover up all that camo you are wearing?

Crow
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 06:24:00 AM »
Antelope know a truck full of hunters when you wear your red vests in the truck.  If hard hunted, they will run from 1/2 mile away when they see the vests.  Put your vest on only when you are leaving the truck and out of site of the goats.  Best of luck in your hunt.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 11:47:15 AM »
I wasnt in a blind (Graybeard was here we don't do name calling),I spot and stalk.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 09:52:34 PM »
U really are a moron....

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 05:10:06 AM »
U really are a moron....

Perhaps but I suspect he is trying to be funny and just doesn't know how.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
Hes not trying to be humorous GB, its a member we all know using another account to flame.

No he's not who you think he is. They are completely separate individuals. He even used to be a Mod here himself. GB

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 03:44:31 PM »
Everyone must remember that it's not just the camo worn, that is necessary for a successful hunt.  Your face should be covered with a camo face mask that covers all of your shiny pink, yellow, red, brown, or black skin.  It also pays to avoid wearing sun glasses that would reflect light and alert the animal.  And once again, antelope know what a red vest means.  You must wear hunter orange in some states, but keep it out of the antelope's sight.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »
You do not have to wear orange during any of the archery seasons.According to the game biologists antelope see in sepia tones or B&W,orange would look just like brown or tan.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »
Too bad yer biologists don't hunt.  Then they would know that an antelope runs from a truck full of red vests.  It's one of the ways animals have gotten smarter over the years as they are hunted far more heavily than 50 years ago.   And I was talkin bout rifle season.  I like to FIRE a rifle at them rather than a bow.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »
During rifle season antelope will run from ANY vehicle,they do not just respond to a certain color of wardrobe.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 10:23:11 AM »
Well, I guess we'll just have to disagree on that.  Since you don't hunt with a truck, I didn't think you would have any practical knowledge on that. 

Offline NONYA

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 11:08:12 AM »
Driving to and from hunting locations,driving through our pastures while checkin the calves 3 weeks ago this buck wheeled and turned the second he noticed the truck,i wasnt wearing orange,explain that.I have 21 years experience in hunting them and several more of watching my family hunt them.I dont believe you are as ignorant as you want us to believe,just trolling for a fight.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 02:13:28 PM »
From the picture, it seems that the second he noticed the truck, he was only about 40 yards off.   Pretty good sneak with a 1/2 ton Chevy.  You must have snuck up from behind the trees I see in the picture.  By the way,  Cole Murphy takes a pretty good picture.

Yes, an antelope will run from a moving truck 40 yards away from it no matter what the driver is wearing, I will admit to that.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 05:28:24 PM »
With a 10x optical and 40x digital zoom 300 yards can look like 40.If you see trees you need help.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 05:20:28 AM »
Quite a cameraman. To use 400x zoom and yet have absolutely no indication of camera movement.  Even a running truck engine would give some movement with that much zoom.  Well done to have a camera ready for the long shot, fitted to a tripod, and carried with you when you were just out to feed your cattle.

At 60 mph, that antelope gave you about 7 seconds to get your camera out, get it ready, get the antelope in the range finder, and take it's picture 500 yards out. Yet, the camera still had the ability to separate blades of grass. I admire your abilities and your camera.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 12:25:53 PM »
Thanx! ;D You can see some more of my photography in my forum,BTW the magnification isnt multiplied, its just added,50x.

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 03:52:25 PM »

This is plain USAF woodland camo and it works for me. Antelope are spooked by movement and shapes.  I'm not convinced that color or patterns make a difference.

TR

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
Nice rifle also - I have one and it shoots well.