Author Topic: Forearm floating vs fully bedding the forearm?  (Read 714 times)

Offline Murphy

• Trade Count: (0)
Forearm floating vs fully bedding the forearm?
« on: September 17, 2007, 02:07:40 PM »
Thanks for the great info on this site, simply the best to be found about the Handi Rifle no doubt about it.

I'm in the process of currently prepping my Handi's barrel (.308) by giving it a good cleaning. It's a brand spankin' new baby. Past experience with other firearms over the years have taught me, CLEAN THE BARREL BEFORE ANYTHING. EVEN NEW ONES

I'll of course give it a bit of a breakin period before any serious attempts at groups with handloads. Which are all I shoot in my firearms.

Now for my questions: I see where it seems to be the popular thing to free float the barrel on the Handi. I've a pretty good grasp on how to do this from reading posts. I've floated many other barrels on traditional rifles, just never done it with a break open type rifle before.

Has anyone ever tried fully glass bedding a Handi barrel? If so, what has been the general experience by the members here as to how it works opposed to free floating the barrel.

(Okay, I ask a LOT of questions for a newbie. But hey...at least I'm not dumb enough to find out the hard way!)   ;D

Thanks,

Murphy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Forearm floating vs fully bedding the forearm?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:25:18 PM »
As I replied in your first post, please read the FAQs and Help sticky, there are several methods of bedding the forend mentioned there, Fred goes into great detail in his bedding method which is similar to that shown in Mic McPherson's Handi section of his book, "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" which would be a good one to pick up. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Murphy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 04:46:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply, looking forward to finding out if I can get this gun to shoot like some of the others I've read about here.

Thanks,

Murphy

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 03:51:45 AM »
Shoot it first!
Some shoot fine just the way they are.
Some like it floated.
Some need bedded.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 04:27:56 AM »
New bbl read the breakin procedure. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 05:54:04 AM »
I got myself in trouble with my first handi with mod'ing too early.

Clean the gun.
Barrel break in as per FAQ
If an ejector barrel Polish chamber as per FAQ

Then shoot a couple of boxes of factory(different types preferably) through it to get a base line, if it shoots good enough leave, if you want to tinker or the accuracy is not quite there then start with the modifications. Or then start load development if you can get handloads shooting good enough I still would not do any mods.

But I am more of a hunter than a shooter, I like accurate guns but I will not kill myself to get that last .25" out of a group as long as the gun is accurate enough to do the job required.
The second mouse gets the cheese