Author Topic: new stock  (Read 970 times)

Offline bulzaye

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
new stock
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
I got an email from CVA CS today. My compact stock for my OE is on its way. I am looking forward to getting it on and it will be more comfortable for me to shoot. I am still not sure about using the 29 inch muzzleloader barrel with the compact stock, but we shall see when it arrives.
Deceased 4/26/08 RIP Bob.

A country boy can survive

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: new stock
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
Mine has the compact stock,and I love it shooting from the bench or in the field. No more crawling the stock to get a full view in the scope,just hold my head nearly straight up while shooting. ;D ;D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:17:26 PM »
Mine has the compact stock,and I love it shooting from the bench or in the field. No more crawling the stock to get a full view in the scope,just hold my head nearly straight up while shooting. ;D ;D  Digger

Well...if you guys took my advice...and would by Leupold's...you wouldn't have to never crawl the stocks... ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline bulzaye

• Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 12:17:15 AM »
crawling up the stock is not the problem for me. the length of the stock is. I is just not comfortable for me at that length. I normally shoot a Remington model 7 which is a shorter stock. The shorter stock is just more comfortable to me. The Bushnell banner I have mounted comes in clear with no problems. I am more concerned about the 29 inch 50 caliber barrel on the compact stock and the balance. I will see when it gets here how it feels.

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 06:41:24 AM »
I got an email from CVA CS today. My compact stock for my OE is on its way. I am looking forward to getting it on and it will be more comfortable for me to shoot. I am still not sure about using the 29 inch muzzleloader barrel with the compact stock, but we shall see when it arrives.

Is the stock on the 26" standard Optima already a compact stock?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 06:45:26 AM »
I think the only models that come with compact stocks are the 223 and 243 and a couple muzzleloaders.

Tim

http://cva.com/products/rifle_optelite_compact.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:55:49 AM »
crawling up the stock is not the problem for me. the length of the stock is. I is just not comfortable for me at that length. I normally shoot a Remington model 7 which is a shorter stock. The shorter stock is just more comfortable to me. The Bushnell banner I have mounted comes in clear with no problems. I am more concerned about the 29 inch 50 caliber barrel on the compact stock and the balance. I will see when it gets here how it feels.

Well...they balance nice...and the shorter stock won't be a problem with it..At least they are for some of us anyways...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline bulzaye

• Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 11:02:21 AM »
Got my  new compact stock today. I  plan to put it on tonight. If anyone needs a full size stock black fleck let me know.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:45 AM »
Put the stock for sale/trade in the classifieds, you can probably just about pay for the compact stock that way! Mine came with a muzzle loader forend on the centefire barrel, I ordered a CF forend from BPI and sold the ML forend to Digger for what the CF forend cost me, we were both happy!! ;)

Tim

Offline bulzaye

• Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »
after a trip to the hardware store to get a 6mm hex head socket (Thanx Tim for the info) and an hour of shims and adjustment the stock is on. When I first put it on apparently the bolt was too long that came with my original full sized stock. The lock would not open and the hammer would not cock. If I backed the screw out, it would work again. So a couple washers and an oversized nut over the bolt and boom it is great. Comes up good feels great with the 29 inch barrel and balanced well. It feels so much better and comfortable. Now with the better fit stock, and the scope tightened down, I look forward to a trip to the range. Maybe tomorrow night after work. Thanx again for all the advice and help especially you Tim.
I had to use the original screw and recoil pad that came with the original stock on the gun. You would think if that screw was too long they would supply the shorter one. Oh well it is working.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »
You're welcome. ;)

Hmmm, I swapped out the standard stock for a thumbhole, but it came with some additional hardware, maybe they neglected to send the right hardware with yours. I'm sure they're send the right bolt if you give em a call if you care to at this time.

Tim

Offline bulzaye

• Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 03:19:31 PM »
No it is on and working. I am happy with it and look forward to shooting it. Bad part it took me so long I didn't make it to pick up my 7-08 barrel. Tomorrow is another day