Author Topic: Knight KRB or TC Triumph?  (Read 4700 times)

Offline GeneRector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Knight KRB or TC Triumph?
« on: September 08, 2007, 02:23:12 PM »
 :) Howdy! I am thinking about getting a new muzzleloader and would like your opinion and views of the Knight KRB Rolling Block versus the TC Triumph.  Thanks! 

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
Re: Knight KRB or TC Triumph?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 04:41:47 AM »
 I do not have a Triumph but I do have a stainless Omega. I just purchased a Knight KRB7 (stainless synthetic $302 delivered). The rifle is nice!  I would suspect that the Triumph is going to be similar to all previous T/C inlines and come with the QLA muzzle crown.  There are multiple reports of bad or at least questionable performance with solid lead conical bullets when the rifle has the QLA.  The KRB has already proven to be a standout conical shooter so if there is any chance that you want to shoot the Colorado legal and large big game prefered conicals there would be no choice other than the KRB in my opinion. The primer installation and removal part of the KRB is neat and positively extracts the primer so there is no chance that it might get stuck requiring a tool to remove, I do not think the Triumph has positive primer extraction. My Omega is a good sabot shooter although the synthetic stock has a few drawbacks. The way the Triumph is designed the light weight synthetic stock that T/C uses should not be a problem. The KRB also has a synthetic stock but it is more solid than the Omega and the way it is designed the stock should not affect shooting performance like the Omega does. The barrel on the KRB can be completely removed from the stock and action with one bolt which I see as  definate advantage for serious complete cleaning prior to storage. The trigger and hammer assembly on the KRB can be removed with a single disassembly button and it drops out for cleaning which is another big advantage. The two advantages of the Triumph that I see are the quick removable breechplug (apparently they work although I was sceptical), and the new design that makes the rifle less sensitive to stock attachment pressure.  If possible you should try to handle both. The KRB fits me perfectly but it might not feel so good to you. The rolling block is slightly different than just a drop action so you should check that out.  I am sure both will do a great job but these are just some of my personal thoughts. Hope this helps.

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 08:13:46 PM »
 :)  Howdy! Keith:  What scope would you recommend for the Knight KRB?  Thanks!

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 03:30:51 AM »
If you decide to go with the Knight KRB I can tell you what I am doing. I have a Burris Fullfield II  3X9X  40MM  Ballistic plex scope. It is available in blue and silver (I got the nickel one as my KRB is the stainless composit stock). The scope mounts are standard Knight so they tell me. According to a Knight tech anything that fits a Remington 541 will work. I ordered Warne #826 mounts also in silver. I plan on using Warne quick disconnect rings and have a set of medium height which will work but I am not sure if standard height would also work as I do not have the mounts yet. Looking at the rifle it is possible that the standard height might work but with the 40mm scope the medium height might be necessary to clear the rear sight (more later after the mounts arrive). The Burris is very similar to the Nikon BDC Omega scope except that the extra longer range markings are crosshair on the Burris whereas the Nikon uses circles. They furnish ballistic charts with the scope although the only muzzleloader load they show is a 250gr. Barnes in a Knight sabot @ 2100fps. The main crosshair if set at 125 yards lists the next one down at 150 then the next one at 200 then the next one at 250 then the last mark at 300.  I intend to shoot a lot heavier bullet but I also don't plan on any 300 yards shots. I will probably set the primary crosshair at 100 with a 465gr No Excuses if they shoot well and from what I hear they do in this rifle. I hunt elk mostly and am looking for the heavy bullet performance. Sorry about rambling on (the DWB site has stuck me with a nick-name of "chatty" ; don't know where they came up with that???  One additional comment. The breechplug face on the KRB is not recessed like most. It is slightly crowned (almost coming to a point at the center where the fire comes out). I wonder if they slanted this plug towards pellet use???  Have not shot mine yet so I have no idea.

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:15:14 AM »
Update on the KRB7 with Warne 826 bases and Medium Height Warne QD rings. The Burris 40mm scope clears and does not interfer with the stock rear sight. It also clears the hammer and rolling block although it is pushed as far rearward as possible with the two individual 826 bases and might need to be a little more rearward. If that is necessary I will check to see if the Knight one piece base allows the scope rings to be mounted further rearward. Have not had enought time to check it out for eye relief. It has plenty but am not sure that I will get a clear full scope picture without a little more rearward positioning. More later.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 05:32:06 PM »
I'll be in a tree stand in the am with my new Knight Rolling block, first day of Kansas Black Powder deer season. No scopes allowed though, will mount one for the Oklahoma season when it opens ..............

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
I just got a KRB7 (blued/comp) and LOVE it.  Handles like a dream, good balance, and comfortable too.  I like it so much I'm actually thinking about getting another one to shoot with open sights.  So far it doesn't shoot quite a good as my Elite, but darn close.  I think the potential is there, I've just got to get used to the trigger.  I put a Nikon Omega on it, and I have one on my Elite too.  I like the scope very much.  With 5" of eye relief, I'm not worried about taking a shot to the brow with heavy loads.  Being a Nikon, you know it's a good piece of glass.