Author Topic: Anyone buy or trade for a gun just to experience it and then sell?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Many of us have bought, sold, and traded off guns.  I heard of a guy who would buy a new or used gun just to experience shooting it for a few months, and then sell it.  The gun dealer who told me this thought it was strange behavior.

I have always intended to keep my gun purchases for the long haul, but after taking some of them to the range for awhile, I would begin to hate something about it, poor performer, bad looks, needed it for a trade for a gun that I wanted more, etc.  It can also be a financial limiter, who has the money to buy numerous guns on a regular basis knowing that you won't even come close to getting back what you initially paid for it

Anyone buy or trade a gun just to experience it and then sell? 

Thanks.

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Re: Anyone buy or trade for a gun just to experience it and then sell?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 08:09:41 AM »
All of mine are keepers.  ;)
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:25:38 PM »
I guess that pretty much fits me. In the last 41 years since I was old enough to buy them myself I've owned at least 400 guns and likely closer to 500. I long ago gave up counting at something over 250 and figure I've owned them at a faster pace since then than before. Many go without ever having been fired even but most I do at least get around to firing just to have the experience of owning them. I'd hesitate to say any gun at my house or which might come to my house in the future is a forever keeper as so far none have proven to be so.

I suspect I've owned more Remington bolt action rifles or S&W handguns than most here have owned guns total in their entire life time. I'm not far behind on Remington shotguns either.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
Quite frankly, I'd never DO such a thing, its, well, ..........................uncivilized!! :D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 05:57:25 PM »
I've bought a few just to try them out(couldn't find anyone at the range to let me shoot or any to test or rent).  Problem is if they didn't shoot bad I still got them, except for one Dan Wesson that I foolislhly parted with.  If it does what you want it to do it's awful hard to trade or sell.  Lately I just add to my collection, at least my son and his friends all have something to shoot when we all go to the range to punch holes in paper.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 06:11:11 PM »
Yep, I've done it quite a few times. :)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 01:01:55 AM »
im in the middle. I buy alot of guns and alot of them are resold in short order. But there are some that came my way that i just couldnt part with. My custom guns are a forever deal and im a firm believer in the old saying that only an accurate gun is a interesting gun. It can look like crap but if its a shooter i wont part with it.
blue lives matter

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 02:24:09 AM »
I have purchased several guns that did not interest me but I knew I could make easy money on them.
I bought them and took them home and shot a box or few through them.
Somehow I never sold them. I rarely sell a gun.

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 04:08:35 PM »
yes, I used to always have a slot for a gun that was bought to try out then sell for another need to experience firearm... also bought a few that I thought I would keep and they did not shoot well, so I got rid of them, for another gun, eventually tried another one of the same type to see if it was the gun or the type of gun... I have also bought some that I knew I did not need then tried them out against the similar weapon in my collection to determine which would keep and which would roll out the door.
tried really light weapons, really heavy magnums, and kept the old faithfuls to compare to many times...
now I am mostlyh kind of back to keeping them again, since getting a few custom jobs and liking each too much to let go though I do not need them all since they overlap..
if I had just got rid of a couple of them quick enough it would have been different... but now...
right now I have a NEF 204 coming and fully intend to try out the weapon an dhte caliber and if it is what I think it will be I may dcide to drop it for a ruger one or a bolt action of some sort, but that may not happen, .. that is the plan right now though.
dk

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:33:49 AM »
I sure do it all the time. Some times that is the only way you will know if you like something or not. I have bought and sold so many guns it is not funny.  ;D  ;)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 05:32:41 AM »

Ive bought several just because they were an interesting caliber, or a particular model that I always wanted to own.  Most of them I have sold to finance my habit for a different gun.   Ive got a few guns that are not on the market...I couldn't replace them and they really work for me. 

Hindsight...Ive never sold a gun that I didn't later regret not keeping.

Silvertp

Offline lashlaruhe

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 06:04:45 AM »
If I saw one that I might like, I would buy it to see for myself. So I have had more than I can remember. Now I don't do that as often.
Probably had over 250 total. Used to do that with rifle scopes also. Ones I wish I had kept are Unertl BV-20. Still have several Weaver steel Micro trac T-16's.

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 02:25:19 PM »
i buy a few with the idea of selling a few,trouble is i'm running out of space. i'm working on a package right now with a ruger auto 44 mag,a redhawk 5 1/2" 44 mag stainless and a 30-06 encore barrel.already i can't figure which one to sell.
dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 11:46:49 AM »
That's how you gain "experience".

Offline The Old Redneck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 11:09:39 AM »
    Looks like most of us have been guilty of doing it, and lot of us are guilty of buying to try and end up keeping them. I have regretted selling or trading guns far more than keeping them. That is probably why I have so many now. Every time I start going through them to thin out the ones I don't need I think about the ones I let get away that I wish I had back. As a good friend said, "Hell it ain't costing any extra just being a safe Queen, so why sell it?"

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 08:38:25 AM »
More time than I might want to acknowledge,    ::)  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 12:33:22 PM »
I guess i could be included in this to since i don't have many guns right now that i would keep except the last one i bought which was a colt and probably my muzzleloader at this point if right deal come along or something i really wanted to own or just try i would make a trade or sell to get.

Terry

Offline 30hrrtt

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 03:28:56 PM »
I just got into handguns a couple years ago.  I just needed one contender.  Then I needed just one 44 revolver but I didn't know which one.  I got a good deal on two at the same time.  One a Ruger Super Redhawk and the other a Super Blackhawk Hunter.  My intent was to shoot them and see which I liked best and sell the other one.  Still have them both.  Plus a couple more.  I need a gp100 yet.
I give up.

Offline The Old Redneck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
    Hi, I'm a gun-a-holic, and just finished the 12 step program, problem is 12 new gun's wasn't enough------

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 05:39:20 AM »
I can't imagine a gun dealer thinking that strange behavior, he must not have many repeat customers. I think most serious gun buffs do a lot of buying, selling and trading. We get a hankering for something, play with it a while, become bored and want a new toy. I'm probably with Greybeard on this except I've never counted and it's way too late to start.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.