Author Topic: Follow-Up Shot Stories?  (Read 950 times)

Offline chad1043

• Trade Count: (3)
Follow-Up Shot Stories?
« on: September 23, 2007, 02:54:11 PM »
Does anyone have an hunting stories in which you have had the opportunity for a follow-up shot with a handi?

Thanks,
Chad

Offline smittty

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Follow-Up Shot Stories?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 06:27:49 PM »
Not with a handi but I do have a Ruger no.1 and can get a 2nd shot of bretty quick.  Not as fast as a repeating rifle but still enough to finish off a bad shot if need be. 

I don't have a handi rifle yet and don't know which would be faster. 

The problem with the No.1 is that the safety blocks the spent cartridge from clearing the action which slows the reload.  I've suggested to Ruger that they should recess the safety to not interfere with ejecting the spent cartridge but after 10 years I think they aren't going to change it.  Also, having the scope mounted limits access for your fingers to reload.  Its much faster without a scope but the sights are so low making using them a compromise...that rifle geometry is designed for use with a scope.  They are beautiful but in many ways, they are a compromise and imo not worth the $1k price tag!

When I shoot my o/u shotgun, I start with the action open, call pull, close the action and shoot my clay targets.  Some of the guys I shoot with even reload and shoot a clay fragment for fun.  I'm not that fast!

You should practice a follow up shot in the same way.  Take your first shot, break the action, reload and take another shot.  I'm positive that with practice you can master the reload in adequate time to get a 2nd shot.

I love singe shot rifles!

Smitty

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 06:36:22 PM »

I've never needed a follow up shot... ;D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:59:15 AM »

I've never needed a follow up shot... ;D

Mac

Ditto
That's why I can carry a single shot.

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 03:23:43 AM »
Be patient and take the perfect first shot because there will never be a perfect second shot. 
A cartridge in the palm of your front hand or between your fingers gets you back in the game quickest.  Carry extras on the buttstock or on your wrist like contender/encore pistol shooters do for quick access.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 04:28:30 AM »
with thumper [my 45-70] you might need a follow up on the second tree behind the deer  but the deer is stone cold dead with any shot in the boiler room .once while helping with the hunter safety coarse at the club one of the guys was throwing 2  clay birds 2 seconds  apart  [throw 1 two count then the second one]   and busting them with a pump gun I took the N.E.F. 20 ga. single shot we had for the kids to shoot  And bust both birds 2 out of 3 tries you have to bust the first one quick to get that done
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline chad1043

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 05:29:52 AM »
I was just looking for stories guys. Like, Once time I was in my blind and this huge deer came along and ... That kinda story..

Thanks,
Chad

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:28:07 AM »

Ohhh...I get it...Sorry...

Well...let's see...uhh....well...there was a time...nope...just 1 shot on that one too... :-\ Darn...I'm no help...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:43:42 AM »
OK Chad, here's one.

March 2003, my buddy Chuck and I were riding snowmachines in the Alaska Range.  As we went up St. George Creek I spotted a Caribou Cow and Calf up ahead.  Chuck was focused on the Caribou, but I was looking around for more or for anything else in the valley.  Then I spotted two Wolves hiding under some brush about 150 yards away.  Appearantly they thought we would drive by without seeing them.  I stopped and took my Handi 30-06 off the handlebars.  The wolves immediately started running.  I already had a shell in the gun so I just pulled the hammer and fired.  Wolf number one down.  Then I broke open the gun and let the empty fly, as I slipped a fresh cartridge from the sling carrier, dropped it in, closed the action, thumbed the hammer and fired the second shot.  All this actions was faster than it takes to tell it.  By now the wolf had gone out to over 200 yards.  The shot hit him in the left hip, breaking his spine.  I looked at wolf number one it was kicking but getting weaker.  I reloaded for a third shot, but none was needed.  Both wolves were down in the snow kicking, but were daed before I could get to where I could see them well enough for a second shot at them. 

Chuck came back wanting to know how I got off the second shot so fast.  Chuck carries a Contender carbine, with extractors.   Love the ejectors on my Handi's
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 08:01:51 AM »
After practice and much training on my part, I hit the button to open the action as soon as I am coming forward from recoil.  The action opens and the empty flies, usually hitting the corner of my glasses, or my hat brim.  Everyonce in a while I get thumped in the forehead.  I wear WileyX wraparound glasses when out hunting or riding, and the top right corner of the frames is all scratched up.  I wear Columbia Wool shirts and jackets with shell holders sewen into the pockets, where they are readily accessiable.  Anytime I am getting ready to shoot, I pull out an extra shell and hold it between the fingers of my left hand by habit.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 08:55:05 AM »
I have been hunting with people that took more shots.
Once my step dad shot a 9 point in the shoulders at 50yd with a 54cal hawkin.
We had to shoot him again but he wasn't going anywhere soon.

Two different guys with magnum bolt guns put three rounds
in whitetail before they even had a chance to run off much less die.
They were amazed the next day when my buck fell just as fast from one 25-06 100g bullet.

PS I used to be able to hit two clays with my H&R youth shotgun.
Hold one between your fingers in fore end hand.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 09:15:14 AM »
I grew up hunting with single shot shotguns, and learned how to reload getting off a second shot really fast.

I remember how I'd have two shells between my first and second fingers of my left hand, so for me a single shot isn't that much of a disadvantage from a bolt gun or pump.

You learn to handle the gun you have, and when you do that, speed isn't an issue!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline OBXPilgrim

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 02:01:58 PM »
Kinda..

Hunted deer a few years ago with my 14 yr old.  He was using my new Handi in 7.62x39 (first hint of a problem).  We'd sighted it in & it will shoot pretty good (2" from him at 100yrs).  Anyway, I was sitting to where I could see his feet & back just around the corner of a hollow, we could both see into another wooded "finger" cove.  A big doe came out of a pine thicket (south carolina) and was heading right for him as it crossed right in front of me 50 yds away (I've shot plenty- his first).  Deer came up & stopped 25 yds in front of him & I was waiting for the fireworks.  "SNAP" - like a giant limb breaking but sharper - deer bounds away 10-15 yds & drops her head to eat acorns.  Still waiting ---- "SNAP".  Bounds another 10-15 yds into some thick brush - still in good view - stops to eat - seemed like an eternity - "BOOM" - deer turns & runs for the thicket (out of his sight - still in mine), but somethings not right - not sure if it's hit or not. 

I decided to finish it with a Texas Heart Shot so we don't lose it in the thicket, just in case.

Yes - the dreaded 7.62x39 misfire for the first two snaps.  Kid had enough sense to swap bullets for the third, but as luck had it, skipped the bullet off a limb 5 feet in front of him.  I felt really bad about the whole thing - misfires - shooting one 'out from under' him.

We had fired 25-30 rounds of these reloads with no misfires until that ONE.  We found 7 other out of a box of twenty that would fire on the first hit, two that it took 3 hits to fire, but that one shell - nothing.

Kinda a follow up shot story.  Yes still have that barrel.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 03:14:27 PM »
I have an interesting story involving follow-up shots but it's not with a Handi. It could have easily involve d a Handi though. Does it still count here?

Mc

Offline chad1043

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 03:42:27 PM »
Sure.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 04:31:24 PM »
I use my 243 ultra varmint for coyote hunting. Most of our shots at coyotes are running shots at fairly long range. I carry my shells in an outers shell holder on the stock. I can fire pretty quick with this setup. I have one in the tube and 9 on the stock. Probably faster on the 6th and 7th shot that my savage bolt. And yes I have fired more than 5 at one coyote a few times.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »
I was grouse hunting with a single shot 20G and a batch of them started coming out of a tree, kind of one or two at a time. I got the first, grabbed a shell out of my pocket and got the second, grabbed another shell, and could not get it into the chamber. The grouse flew off and I looked at the shell. It was yellow, but it was a yellow Bic lighter.

Oh well,

mike ???
Mike Ellestad

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 06:08:38 PM »
Hijack Alert

Gee, I wish that I had an ejector again..........

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 02:31:53 AM »
Not as successful a story as I'd like, but still...

I was in my natural blind last deer season with my USH with more rounds in my pockets (big opening pockets).  I had a big doe ahead to my right and closing and a group of 3-4 with a big doe straight ahead.  The one to the right was bigger and both were at about 60-70yds.  I was up with the scope on her behind the shoulder of the one and I'd glance at the other to make sure she was where I thought she was.  The one to the right stopped and turned broadside to me, but the one in front was still heading right at me.

The one I had my sights on started to walk in a bad direction so I had to make the move.  I pulled the trigger on her and immediately hit the release on the barrel with one hand while getting another round with the other (I have an ejector).  I dropped the second in the tube and locked it up while the second doe was still there looking at me.  I had the hammer back by the time she was in the scope and fired.  She jumped and ran into the thicket.

I figured I probably missed, but the first doe was dead as could be, so I went out to make sure there was no blood from the second.  I no more than got to where she stood and she came running out of the thicket about 50yds from me, running perpendicular.  Strangely, she stopped dead in front of me and turned to face me again.  I didn't miss her that time.  Took her a bit right of center of the chest, but broke her shoulder and took out her left lung.  She ran a few yards but was down for the count.

Maybe this year I can have a better story...

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 08:13:13 AM »
How about a sort of a follow up story:

Six years ago I had just gotten back to Prince of Wales Island from Fairbanks.  Deer season started and I took the trusty .30-06 Handi up into the alpine country.  It was typical S.E. Alaska weather, drizzling off and on interspersed with sunshine.  I ran into a nice buck in a draw, but he saw me too and was gone before I could get off a shot.  About that time another buck stands up in the brush on the other side of the draw, looking over his shoulder at me. 

I didn’t want to shoot him in the butt and waste meat, so I put the front sight on his neck below the head and pulled the trigger.  He went down like he had been hit with a sledgehammer.  I reloaded “just because” which was a good thing.  About the time I got the second round in the chamber another buck stood up.  He also looked over his shoulder at me, then down at his buddy, then back at me.  When he didn’t run I decided I had better remove him from the gene pool and shot him in the neck also. 

Same results as the first one.  I became a believer in those neck shots after that!  After boning them out, I had 140 pounds of meat to get off the mountain, but that’s another story!

-Winter Hawk-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 08:37:59 AM »
I took a shot at a deer in some brush (yes, I glassed him with my binoculars before shooting) with a muzzleloader, and missed (deflected shot, I hope, not bad aim???).  Then made the fasted reload I had ever done.  Pulled the trigger, and just a pop.  Then I realized why I was so fast, the powder was still in the quick loader!!!

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 11:08:26 AM »
In 2006, I was hunting in Opp, Alabama.  Looking over a food plot from a box blind.  Three does came out about 5:00 PM, about 120 yds. out.  I shot the largest one, 280 Handi rifle, double lunged her.  Broke it down, shell ejected, loaded another one up from the buttstock shell holder.  The other two deer ran across the field, turned and ran back across.  Shot the closest one, right behind the shoulder.  Double lunged her as well, and she was moving at a pretty good clip when I shot.  Tracked the second one I shot, just about 50 yds.  She was laying within 10 feet of the first one.  Two shots, two deer, 10 seconds apart.   None of the other guys at the camp could believe a single shot could be reloaded that fast.  If I'd thought about it, I probably couldn't have done it.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »
The fall of 2004 I was deer hunting in the Haliburtan Highlands north of Peterborough Ontario. I had a tag that allowed me to take one buck and only a buck. I was placed by my host on the power-line cut that goes straight to Ottawa. It is 150 yards wide and is cluttered with huge rocks( 30 feet long or so) and with slope up in the direction of the cut. Since I am a stump-sitter I sat on a shelf on one of these rocks and was there no more than 5 minutes when out of the corner of my left eye I caught a glimpse of the back end of a deer disappearing behind the big rock to my left at about 50 yards. The deer had crossed 150 yards of open ground without me seeing him until that point. I figured it was probably a doe but I got up to take a look around the side of the rock that the deer had gone behind. Well I was very surprised to see a buck facing me at about 80 yards upwind of me and strolling my way. Rarely have I seen a buck out in the open like that. It stopped and turned sideways to me as if posing. I raised my gun and began to squeeze off a shot when the gun went off before I was on target and I shot over its back and the deer took off. I figured he was gone for good so I went back to where I was sitting and after about ten minutes what should come along reversing his track across the open cut but my buck, as if nothing had happened and without the least bit of caution. He was interested only in one thing, sex. Once he cleared a power pole I raised my rifle for a 50 yard broad-side shot. Bang, fur flew but the deer kept walking. Slowly I cranked another round into the chamber, BANG fur flew again and he just kept walking. I cranked another round in and BANG and the deer lept into the air and took off. He collapsed about 50 yards from whre I had shot him last. After my miss I was busy for a while thinking of names to call myself but I did get myself under control in time for the second chance at the same deer. He dressed out at 200 lbs and was a nice six-pointer. I had plenty of time between shots to use a Handi if I had had one.