Author Topic: Tall tales about cannon  (Read 574 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Tall tales about cannon
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »
As I've mentioned I get all kinds of emails about cannons.  I'll let you judge this one.  The gentleman has decided that a very rusty iron cannon (looks like an 18th C. English gun to me, as far as its shape) stuck in the ground in his town is really a famous cannon, and he's seeking to prove that.  At the end of his story here he begins discussing bronze cannons, and says the iron cannon stuck in the ground is probably one of those.  I'm not sure how bronze turns to iron, but I'm sure he'll have an explanation for that too.  I deleted most of his town's name to keep this anonymous.

I think, I rediscovered the lost history on the cannon cemented in the ground in M___. I feel it may very well be from the Rev. War, American? The gun was donated by PT Barnum in the late 1800's and was said to be referred as not "Swamp Angel" but Swamp Angels! Your gonna find this interest Sir! Early M___ residents were told by Barnum the gun was on Commodore Perry's ship durring the 1812 War. This is the documented story in 1976!

So, based on this I began my reaserch on Perry. I discovered the Great Lakes sea battle is recognized as one of the most horrific American Naval Sea battles to ever take place with ships in that era! The Ship he Commanded is called the Lawrence and he had 6 or so vessels in his fleet. The ship was named after his friend Navy Captain Lawrence who died in a sea battle commanding a Frigate prior! Do you know where the big Parrot Gun " Swamp Angel" was manufactured? It was manufactured in Lawrence County, Ohio. From what I read there were a couple parrot guns named "Swamp angel" at the same time! The County was named after Captain Lawrence, not sure if he founded the town, or if it is in honor of the ship? I think the ship!

Perry, recruited 200 or so men for his fleet that he built in Ohio. A large number of these men never even saw a square rigger before, not to say any ever sailed! Ohio provided many men from PA and Kentucky as soldiers fore the land campaign. Now, a battle had happened at a place called French town on the River Raisin, swamp basin. This was the first time in history the British allowed Indians to kill prisoners of war who surrendered, men women and children! Many of these men were from Kentucky and PA.

Perry, recruited 70 or so of the remaining Kentucky militia as Marine sharp shooters and for them to board enemy ships at close quarters. This battle is so well documented and horrific! Perry stood on the deck of his shattered and splintered vessel, noticing a officer trying to load and fire a gun by himself. The man turned to Perry and asked him for more men to help him on this gun station. The mans only concern calmly was to fire the gun. It would not go off! Perry asked what he was doing! The man turned to him and calmly ask for more men to help him. At that point he was struck by a cannon ball. Perry mentioned he never say anyone braver! He was shocked at this mans heroism. After the battle was over about 116 men died in Perry's fleet of six vessels. Perry had just over 100 men on the Lawrence. Only 7-9 men survived on his ship the Lawrence. His whole crew was dead! Hes recognized for the famous quote "We Saw Our Enemy and They Are Ours"

Perry won the battle and its recorded that so much smoke covered the area. The Americans from the other vessels assisted Perry. All the dead from the ship Lawrence were thrown over board. many of the poor souls bodies washed ashore. They washed ashore on the edge and in the swamps! Thus the name for the lost souls came about! The "Swamp Angels" The Gun in M----- may just be the same gun documented in the story!

Why, the heck would PT. Barnum bring this historic gun that symbolizes the "Swamp Angels"from Ohio and leave it in M-----d? I can answer that question! M----- is the 5th-6th oldest English Settled Colony and township. The first settlers that settled OHIO are from M-----! The Abolitionist West Ward movement into Ohio, started in M----. It all makes perfect sense in regards to respecting your many relatives in Ohio who died not just in the sea battle, but the many land battles tied to this event!

One final note: The book I found talks about how the cannons at Fort Detroit were Rev. war cannons captured at Ft. Bennington. The the British captured the fort and claimed the 6 of the bronze guns. Then in another battle involving Perry, the guns were recaptured. So, the M----, gun can be an authenic Rev. War gun!.

Call me please and tell me what you think!

I did give him a response via email.  What do you think I told him?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Tall tales about cannon
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:41:29 PM »
You sure that guy isn't from California??    ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »
All I have to say is what is P.T. Barnum FAMOUS for saying? ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 04:53:59 PM »
Too much coffee?
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »
     Wasn't P. T. Barnum famous for saying, "I don't care what they say about me as long as they remember how to spell my name."

Maybe too much Irish Coffee?

This guy is just like Johnny Appleseed, he covered a whole lot of territory!

M & T
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
I think P. T. Barnum is famous for saying, "There is a sucker born every minute"!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 06:58:41 AM »
Shoot., wheres my musket..., I know its here somewhere.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 07:28:34 AM »
     Ex 49'er,     You're absolutely right!  That "sucker" saying is far more famous.  Saw his estate in Florida years ago with all the Greek statuary around the huge swimming pool.  Quite a place!  Thanks for posting that.

Regards,  M & T
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling