Author Topic: Which Bushnell - Banner or Trophy  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Downeaster

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Bushnell - Banner or Trophy
« on: September 05, 2007, 04:28:40 AM »
Hi guys,

I have never posted on this board before but could use some advise.  I need a scope for my 243 Handy, but I'm on a budget ($100 gift card to the Kittery Trading Post).  Anyway, based on my budget, Bushnell looks like the best thing that the Post carries.  There are two types of Bushnell scopes that fall within that price range ($99.95).  One is the Bushnell Trophy 3-9X 40mm w/50mm Spotting Scope Combo. 
http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/pid/103/sid/649/tid/2557/bid/75/prodid/10557

The other is the Banner 3-9X Red/green illuminated reticule scope (w/Dusk & Dawn Technology).

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/pid/103/sid/649/tid/2557/bid/75/prodid/529

Which is the  better scope?  I know the trophy includes a spotting scope so that is a big plus.  However, I'd like to hear from any one that has one or the other or both.

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? :)

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Re: Which Bushnell - Banner or Trophy
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:54:37 AM »
While I've had great success with the Banner line(7 or 8 of them), with no failures or problems. The Trophy line has slightly better optics(I've had 4 of them so far). Dollar for dollar they are both the best scopes out there in their price range. 12 scopes of the same brand with no problems over 35 years is a strong endorsement as I see it. I now tend to use the 3200/4200 series more than the others but that is caused by a better financial situation on my part, not a loss of faith in the Banners or Trophy lines.
Dave375HH

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 05:32:43 AM »
Trophy over Banner, but Elite series is worth the extra $$.  Depends on what you are using them for.  Higher recoil or yardage or low light conditions, I would definately go w/ the Eilite 4200s.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Downeaster

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 05:36:39 AM »

It is going to be mounted on a 243 so recoil won't be much of a concern.  As far as yardage goes, I live in Maine, most shots will be within 100 yards, with the occasionally longer shot (pole lines, etc.)  If it proves to be an accurate combo, I could use it for coyote hunting and some deer hunting as well.
Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? :)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 10:55:09 AM »
 ;D
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:56:29 AM »
There was supposed to be "A Trophy will do you just fine then." in front of that smiley face. :-\
Buckskin

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 10:59:19 AM »
I've owned about all of them except the 4200 and hunted with one of them too.  I could not tell a difference between the Banner, Trophy, Legend, or the 3200. The 4200 was not even night and day difference for me to want to go out and buy one.  Maybe it's my eyes but I liked the Banner better than all of them.  The Trophy had some weird tint to the lens that I didn't like. It made everything look orange.  I do think the Trophy was once an airgun scope, so the internals might be stronger, I dunno. I've also heard that the Banner and the Trophy were the same scope , just a different lens coating for the Trophy, so who knows?.  Anyway go with the Banner.  I liked the 4-12x40AO, it was better than all the other Bushnells I've owned.  The more expensive models were not worth it to me.  I was kinda mad at myself for buying them after using the Banner.  Take everything with a grain of salt here, many people will tell you that you need a $1000 Zeiss just to hunt.  Save your money, buy the Banner, and enjoy the many hunts that will surely be successful.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »
Downeaster, I hope you like high or extra high rings,  the Trophy has a huge power ring and ocular bell, not conducive to mounting low on a Handi due to hammer clearance unless you modifiy the hammer. The Banner appears to have a relatively small power ring which would be better of the two for that reason. If you can swing a few more bucks for the Legend, you'll be good in that respect, plus it's an excellent scope, it can be mounted in low or med rings with no hammer modification. Their prices are about $20 higher tho, but that's another consideration since you have a gift card. The Legend is shown below on 30-30 and 444 Marlin Handis, in low Leupold PRWs. The bottom pic below is the 3-9x40 Trophy on my 405 Winchester H&R, it requires substantial hammer modification which you can read about in the NEF/H&R Centerfire forum FAQs.

Tim

http://bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_legend_75-2732m.cfm

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/prodid/15952

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00027752732M

Bushnell Trophy with hammer modification

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 11:29:25 PM »
I have Banners on just about all my Handi centerfires from .30-06 down to .30-30. I like them very much and have had good service from each.  The lens's are clear.  Adjustments true.  No fogging problems.  I own eight of them.  I also have a Legend mounted on a Mossberg .30-06 bolt gun and like it for the same reasons. 

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 11:06:31 AM »
Check out the Legend line of Bushnell.  They are a little more than the trophy but have Fully multi coated lens, just like in the 3200.  I believe I read somewhere here on GB that the only drawback is for some reason the Legend does NOT have a 1 piece tube.  And a 3x9x40 goes for around $100.
I have one and can recommend it.  Clear and bright 95% light transmission.  Plus Bushnell backs their products i believe. 
That is the reason I buy Bushnell, Mueller and Leopold.  It still amazes me that they can sell some of these scopes for $100-300+ with NO warranty, or a crappy customer service reputation.  I would never have tried a Mueller scope unless they had a good warranty and customer service.
That is why a site like GB is so great, you get some other guy to do your product testing for you.