Author Topic: BLACK POWDER FOR SMALLER CANNONS  (Read 1133 times)

Offline redbaron80

• Trade Count: (0)
BLACK POWDER FOR SMALLER CANNONS
« on: September 21, 2007, 07:42:15 AM »
What would be recommended as the proper black powder for smaller cannons in the .44 to 1 inch caliber range?
Black powder is getting harder to find and I have thoughts of ordering directly 10 lbs. Should I split the powder size for .44 and 1 inch cannons? Best source for powder? Any in the New Hampshire/Maine area?
Thanks,Bill

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Re: BLACK POWDER FOR SMALLER CANNONS
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:53:47 AM »
I use 3F in my 2 ounce (.875) and .44 caliber cannons.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:13:54 AM »
I would say Fg from .69 cal to 1" and FFg or FFFg in .44 cal and lower.  However, how MUCH you use is just as important as which grade.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »
Got to the top of the board and look at the sticky post called Where to find Blackpowder Cannons and shooting supplies.

Scroll down and find the listing for the Maine Powder house in Peru Maine.  By the way Maine Powder house is now advertisng pricing  for powder in less than case quantity.

In the one inch cannon use Fg.  I wouild us Fg  or FFg in 44 cannon also. Experiment see what works.  The FFFG is faster burning and you don't need it or want it as the cannon will recoil violenty and eventually get damaged.   I know 44 pistols use FFFg but they are  also under control when fired.  You just don't need the extra energy in a cannon.  Refer to Switliks Chart for small Cannons for the maximum load.  Reduce that load ridiculously, to quote Switlik,  to start.  Maximum for a 45 caliber on Switliks chart is 40 grs.

You will find Switliks chart posted in the sticky called Safe loads and cannon plans

Offline redbaron80

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 09:45:18 AM »
I now fire my .45 cal 7.5 inch naval cannon with 3f ( my revolver powder) at 15-20 grains with .50 wads . You are correct in the sharp recoil and loud pistol crack. I hope with 1f powder(I'll try 1st with small loads) than the recoil will be somewhat less and maybe a deeper sound, not a revolver sound,but maybe a small cannon is just to small for a "boom" vs "crack" type of sould. I have yet to fire a ball,my revolver ball seem a tad large,but I have fired with a 10 bb load packed between two .50 wads. Not that does a nice job on beer (er,coke) cans at 15 ft.
Thanks for your imput! Bill

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »
I don't know how close you are to Peru Maine, but that is where the Maine Powder House is.  It has been worth the drive for me and I am in Presque Isle Me.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 02:09:38 PM »
my personal preferences..

less tha 44 caliber - blanks 4f... ball 3f
45 / 50 caliber - blanks 3 f, ball 2f
69 caliber ...  2 F for eveything (same powder horn).
12G 1F for everything (1F skirmish grade from powderinc is really cheap).

Having an assortment from 4 F to cannon grade comes in handy at times  ;)