Author Topic: Sabot question in ml's and 777 question  (Read 658 times)

Offline lswoody

• Trade Count: (0)
Sabot question in ml's and 777 question
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:49:50 AM »
Hello all, new to the GB forums. I just bought a CVA 50 cal. Buck horn rifle. I also bought some T/C sabots. I've read that sabots will leave plastic residue in the rifling and that it is hard to get out. Any truth to this??? And if so how do I need to clean the plastic out of the barrel???? Also I bought some 777 pellets. Was going to use 2-50 grain pellets, but have been told that I'd be better off to use the loose 777. Would I be better off to use the loose stuff???? Other than an almost unlimited powder charges to try what advantages, if any, would the loose 777 have??? Thanks, Scott Woody 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Sabot question in ml's and 777 question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 04:27:15 AM »

Welcome

There will be plastic residue left in the barrel..and you will need to clean it out..but you also need to clean it to get rid of any of the black powder residue..and that left in the bore from the primers..There are a number of CVA products designed to make cleaning your rifle easier...and many gun stores carry a full line of various products...Barrel Blaster works very good..as does hot soapy water..You will have to shoot both loose & the pellets and see which gives you the best accuracy...but the loose powder charges are usually more accurate and consistent..The only person who will know if you better off using it will be you...If you get acceptable accuracy from it...it is easier to use...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline lswoody

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the info Mac!!!!! Do I need to use a brass bore brush along with the hot soapy water???? Thanks, Scott Woody

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:09:14 AM »

I don't use them....Patches usually work fine with the cleaners...Clean from the breech...and be careful when at the crown area...in between shots your just patching it..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Castaway

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 05:52:36 AM »
The loose 777 should ingnite easier than a pellet.  I've got a Buck Horn also.  First time to the range I loaded 100 grains of loose 777 and a Hornady 300 grain XTP/sabot.  After over 100 shots at the range (many trips) I've never felt a need to change the load.  I can get sub 3 MOA day in and day out.  I did find that to do that I need to swab with a damp patch and then a dry one after each shot.  While a 5 inch group doesn't sound that good, it's minute of deer.