Author Topic: Couple of quick questions to run by you(22hornet)  (Read 422 times)

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Couple of quick questions to run by you(22hornet)
« on: September 25, 2007, 12:49:36 AM »
I think that I remember someone saying that the 22 superlight hornet doesn't suffer from the same overheating problems as the 223, and 243 superlights.  I was wondering if your experiences have reflected that, and if so, how do they shoot?  I'm talking 22hornet superlights, as I want a light walkabout groundhog gun, or possibly load it with light cast boolit rounds for squirrels/feral cats.  The other thing that I have been mulling over is since a hornet doesn't have quite the tendency to overheat?, and a 223 is more apt to(I had one), what do you all think about rechambering to a 221 Fireball?  Should increase the range out to 250 or a bit more for the hogs, fills the niche in between the two cartridges, plus if it would be feasible, I believe that there is a reamer floating around here that someone bought that could be used to rechamber it.  What do you all think, am I loopy, or on the right track?

-Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Couple of quick questions to run by you(22hornet)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:34:43 AM »
When you start talking about barrel heating you can really get into some differences of opinion with what causes it. I think it is an accepted fact by everyone that a 22 Hornet will not heat up a barrel like a 223. There is considerable difference in powder capacity. The 22 Hornet is in the 10 - 12 grain range and the 223 is in the 24 - 26 grain range. It all depends on the powder selected, but it gives you a ball park figure to compare. I have a couple of 221 Fireballs and they are great cartridges. Of course they have limitations as well as the Hornet. They are going to be in the 16-18 grain range for powder capacity. Their powder capacity is about half way between a 22 Hornet and a 223. The case length on a 221 FB is the same as a 22 Hornet. I would think that a 22 Hornet could be reamed to a 221. When using a super light barrel or any "skinny" barrel the throat erosion is going to be the same as a heavy barrel, every thing being equal, but the barrel diameter. The light weight barrel is going to heat up faster, perceived faster anyway. And it will walk a string of shots quicker than a heavy barrel. The barrel will get hotter quicker than a heavy barrel (on the outside), but it cools down quicker too. Once you get a heavy barrel hot, it takes quite a while for it to cool down. I really do not think you will have any problem with barrel heating if you do not shoot one after another for 20 straight shots of so with a 22 Hornet. It is a single shot and it does take a little time to reload and fire again. A 221 FB will heat up a barrel faster (more powder capacity and higher velocities) but not a whole lot faster. I have had no problems with heat in my 221 FB; shooting 5 walking down and looking at my target and then walking back and shooting another string, up to 4 or 5 stings. I am going to be getting a super lite 22 Hornet barrel in the near future for the same reason you want one. I am not concerned about barrel heating with it at all. You would not have a problem with over heating with any of the super lites while ground hog hunting. The problem will be on the bench. Just pace out your shoots at a reasonable pace and you will not have a problem at all with a 22 Hornet, or a 221 FB for that matter. When I am on the bench, I never shoot as fast as I can to see how fast I can heat up a barrel and I check barrel heat on a regular basis as I shoot. I do not let my barrels get above warm to the touch. If it is getting to the point of getting too hot to put my hand on it comfortably then it has gotten way too hot for me, I do not let that happen. Good luck and happy GH hunting. I think you will be very happy with the Hornet. If you decide to ream to 221 fire ball, then I think it will work fine, just do not try to imitate a machine gun and pace your shots at the bench.  ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 01:41:39 AM »
One other thought. Do not hand ream from a 22 Hornet to a 221 Fire Ball. You will be very disappointed with the results. If that is the route you want to take then have a professional do it. They have the equipment to do it right. You will need to change out the extractor/ejector to a 223 if converted. :)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 03:35:32 AM »
I can't speak for the super light models but my standard Handi Hornet sure don't over heat and my Winchester M-70 sporter don't either.  Like you I am a Woodchuck hunter but feel the Hornet would be ideal for moderate range colony varmints.  In fact I think my 17hmr sporter heats up more than the Hornets, certainly not less.

Personally, with the compact nature and good handling of the Handi platform I don't think you need a Super Light in Hornet for walking.  I have added a laminate stock (heavier than the wood) to mine and it's just fine.  In fact it may be lighter than the pre war M-70 Hornet?  A good medium is the pallet wood IMO.  And it's much easier to tweak for accuracy if needed.

Last,  I think you will be very pleased with the Handi Hornet.  It just makes sense in break action rimed case.  The barrels seem to be pretty good,  likely just there old .223 barrels/twists chambered Hornet as they have a unusual 1/12 twist yet shoot the lighter stuff fine.  I will tell you one thing I did do that I sure don't regret is,  I ordered a butt plate from Brownells to replace that huge rubber recoil pad on the Hornet as the length of pull was to long for me to boot.  Not sure you could line the holes up perfect for replacement with a plastic stock?

Last if you get one.  You will find for factory ammo the Winchester 46 gr HP to be a shooter from the Handi.  For reloads the standard 40 & 45 grain soft points, 40 gr V Max and some swear by the 35 V Max but I have not reloaded them yet.  I keep it simple and just use Lil Gun and a Lee Classic Reloader.

It likes dirty and dry.  I just run a dry bore snake through it now and then.  I see posts of problems with other Handi calibers.  Like the .223 I don't think you will see that with the Hornet.  I will go out on a limb (from experiance) and say with factory Winchester 46 gr Hornet ammo you will get 3 shot moa @ 100 out of the box and maybe 5.  BTW- thats a great woodchuck bullet!  I punched one (reload same bullet) through upper center chest of a large woodchuck at 220 paces with a 4x scope from shooting sticks using the old Winchester M-70 that knocked him back deader than a doornail with out even a tail flag.
With a little accurizing or tweaked handloads you will likely get 5 shot moa @ 100 in low wind.  I shoot from 100-300 at my rod & gun club but have a home 50 yard range that I test on often.  My Handi now puts 5 reloads inside .5" at 50 like clock work, that includes the first from cold bore as I am a hunter and count it .  ;)  It will also do that with the Winchester 46 gr hp which is really a pretty darn good load and woodchuck bullet.  Like to know what powder they use?  Guys like speed and a few Hornet loads break 3000fps but that 46 gr Winchester load does about 2800 with a bullet thats 25% heavier than the 3000fps loads, hits hard and is accurate in many Hornets.  I think after 70 years of Hornet Winchester had it figured out.  I shot several Woodchucks at 175 -180 paces this summer with my Hornets.

I think you will really like it for what you want.  Not sure if you even need to go to .221 Fireball or K Hornet as the accuracy is fine for the Hornets range and it will drop Woodchucks at 175- 200 yards with a solid upper body shot through Vidal's well.  It's as cheap as buying rim mag ammo to reload for and Lil Gun powder really changed things.  Personally,  I like the 40,45 & 46 gr bullets over Lil Gun at about 2700 -2825 FPS for Woodchucks.  They punch through often but just knock em deader than a doornail as a whole.

I think you will like it either way you go  :)