Author Topic: F.LLI PIETTA, Cabellas  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Weatherman68

• Trade Count: (3)
F.LLI PIETTA, Cabellas
« on: August 10, 2007, 11:05:21 AM »
I purchased an 1858 Remington from Cabala's over the 4th of July.  I finally had the chance to take it out to the range when I noticed that the bore in the end of the barrel is not centered.  To  be honest, this gun was in the bargain cave and on top of that they were giving extra discount if you spent so much on the 4th, so the deal was really sweet.

I took the gun back and they indicated that they would  take it back but I talked to the head of the black powder department and he indicated that Pietta would probably supply a new barrel.  I sent an email to the address that was on the paperwork that came with the gun and have not received a response.  Does anyone know a US address or phone number that I can call to get this resolved.  Previously, I had an A.S.M. but I traded that 1858 in on a 44 mag revolver because  the timing was way off.  I took that one to a couple of gun smiths in the area and the cost of repairing  it was more than what the gun was worth.

This is a great forum and I appreciate any assistance you can give.

Why is there never enough time to do it right but there is always enough time to do it again?

Offline Little Bear

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: F.LLI PIETTA, Cabellas
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:27:09 AM »
You could try going to www.sassnet.com and check out the SASS Wire forum.  Pietta himself has, on occasion, responded to posts dealing with his products.  A search may turn up his profile and a "working" email addy.  Good luck.

Offline subgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:17:39 AM »
Same thing happened to me. I mail ordered a Remington .31 1863. The bore and cylinder were not in line with each other. Called Cabela's for warranty work, and they said to send it back. I got a exchange for the old one. The new pistol is a keeper. Tell them you want a new pistol for the old one. Hope this helps.

Offline Mike Weber

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 08:17:15 AM »
Cabellas is pretty good at returning defective items I bought a Pietta 1858 Remington steel framed revolver from them about three years ago. The revolver seemed fine until I installed one of my R&D conversion cylinders into it then it seemed out of time. I then tried switching out some of my spare Pietta percussion cylinders into the gun they too were out of time. I shipped the gun back to Cabellas and they replaced it with one that worked perfectly with all my Pietta Remington cylinders and my R&D cylinder.
AKA Fightin Creek Slim SASS #46658
Are you gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie?

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »
I bought 2 Pietta Colt Model 1860's from Cabelas.  The first one had a loose cylinder pin, returned it and they were good about refunding my money.  A few years later I purchased another one, it shot really well, reliable too, but the fit and finish was not as good as my Uberti 1851 Colt.

What really irked me about it is the cylinder rotater part, the little part that moves the cylinder to the next position inside the back of the frame.  The Pietta was so poorly machined that it was gawging the cylinder notches on the end, my Uberti is much better made in this area.

I would rather spend the extra money and get another Uberti.  I sold the Pietta 1860 army a few months ago after a Summer of shooting it.