Author Topic: 40 Newton/40 Adolph Express  (Read 1271 times)

Offline CapoWard

• Trade Count: (0)
40 Newton/40 Adolph Express
« on: September 25, 2007, 06:41:30 AM »
Is anyone using/familiar with the 40 Newton aka 40 Adolph Express?  Moved from Rifle/Big Bore Rifle thread.

I’ve had this question posted on a number of forums with much reading but an extremely few comments.  So, this may be a bit long so I apologize for that.

I am primarily interested in information relating to the 30 and 40 Newton calibers as it appears that correct headstamped brass is currently available.  I have two Argentine 1909 DWM Mauser 98 actions in need of rebarreling (neither are from collector grade rifles) and it just seems that .308 and .408 caliber cartridges just may make a great two rifle match.

Huntington’s currently lists Jamison brass as available in 256, 30, and 35 Newton calibers and Quality Cartridge lists all of the Newton’ various caliber brass in their exotic listing as “Newton” headstamped cases except for the 40 Newton which is listed as the “40 Adolph”.

I’ve done some research and identified that Newton rifles were offered in prior to 1915 in three grades and two price ranges within each grade: standard calibers were the 256, 30, and 35 Newton’s and optional upgrade for the 33 and 40 Newton. The 30 and 40 Newton’s were also offered by Fred Adolph and I believe identified as the 30 and 40 Adolph Express. I’ve not identified how many 40s were actually made and sold though it appears that very few 33 Newton’s were built and sold.  Loaded “Newton” ammunition was manufactured by Western Cartridge.  It appears that all production by Newton, Adolph, and Western Cartridges of Newton caliber rifles and cartridges appear to have ceased somewhere between the late 1930’s and the early 1950s.

Some interesting information regarding the various Newton/Adolph cartridges and rifles and an additional reference to the 40 Newton/40 Adolph Express are available at the following hyperlinks:
http://books.google.com/books?id=dN2Riq7zfToC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=40+newton+cartridge&source=web&ots=kRHcvaUmF2&sig=MJww-X9WvyD-yio2v89z7IVjvpI#PPA40,M1

http://www.z-hat.com/boltgunsinthebushes.htm

Why the Newton’s?  I dunno, why not?  Wildcats off of the 375 Ruger would certainly be higher performing – Hornady and Ruger have certainly tested every potential wildcat from .284 through .424 but the .375 Ruger isn’t a real hot mover off the shelf so who knows when/if we might see other Hornady/Ruger caliber offerings from this case.

Here are some (water) case capacity comparisons:
30 Newton @ 84 gr.
- 30-06 Ackley Improved @ 69 gr.
- 30-338 Win Mag @ 82 gr.
- 308 Norma @ 83 gr.
- 300 Win Mag @ 86 gr.
- 30-375 Ruger @ 93 gr. (presumed)
- 300 Dakota @ 96 gr.

35 Newton @ 84 gr.
- 35 Whelen Ackley Improved @ 71 gr.
- 358 Norma @ 84 gr.
- 358-375 Ruger @ 93 gr. (presumed)
- 35-375 Dakota @ 96 gr. (presumed)

40 Newton/40 Adolph Express @ 84 gr. (presumed)
- 400 Whelen Ackley Improved @ 72 gr.
- 416 Taylor @ 84 gr.
- 416-375 Ruger @ 93 gr. (presumed)
- 416-375 Dakota @ 96 gr. (presumed)

Thanks for your interest.  Looking forward to your comments.
Jim

Offline Catfish

Re: 40 Newton/40 Adolph Express
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 04:51:16 AM »
   I could not find any data on that round in my books so I`ll give you some general advice. 1. If your not very familiar with reading pressure signs DO NOT even try this wildcat unless you have help form someone that does. 2. You need to know where you can get the parent brass to form your case so you don`t end up with a gun you can`t shoot. 3. Be ready to lay out the bucks. Your dies will be well over $100 for this round since they will have to be custom made.

Offline CapoWard

Re: 40 Newton/40 Adolph Express
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »
Thanks Cat for your comments.  I knew this project wouldn’t be cheap nor easy should I carry forward with it.

I’ve thought about my a two rifle setup using a .300 Win Mag and a .425 Express setup (a .300 Win Mag derivate), have also have pondered a .308 and a .416 derivate of the 375 Ruger case – either of which would probably be easier/cheaper than using the Newton cases but seem kind of blasé.  But hey, the Newton’s have been tugging at me for a number of years now so maybe it’s time for them to happen, or not.

I’ve submitted email inquiries into both Quality Cartridge (which lists the .30, .33, and .35 Newton brass and the .40 Adolph brass [if the .40 Adolph case is truly the .40 Adolph Express case then the case dimensions are identical to the .40 Newton case] as being available for production) and to Jamison International (which lists .30 and .35 Newton brass) regarding the availability of producing .40 Newton headstamped brass.

I’ve pretty well identified the gunsmith for the barrel and chambering work.  Seems that it would be best to have the reloading dies produced using the same chamber reamers as used with the barrels - but I will await response to the brass inquiries before going forward to the gunsmith.

Jim

Updated 9/29/2007:  Looks like Afghanistan/Iraq have impacted the reloading arena.  Both Jamison and Quality Cartridge have indicated in email responses that they have contract commitments through early 2008 that are preventing them from manufacturing their custom/exotic brass.

Quality Cartridge states that it does produce 30 Newton-30 Adolph and 40 Newton-40 Adolph brass but will not be producing any exotic brass until sometime in early 2008.  Jamison stated that it doesn’t currently list 40 Newton brass but will consider manufacturing it in early 2008 after they resume producing their custom brass.