Author Topic: Hy-Jacked Again....  (Read 1370 times)

TM7

Hy-Jacked Again....
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:55:09 AM »
Returned home from 10 day vacation. I don't know where my son took my computor but it is hyjacked by malware or spyware.  I've cleaned it with Spybot R&D, ad-aware personal, etc. These are free cleaners which did clean up the machine, except for the main offender.
From the bottom right tray is a constant pop up warning of virus or spyware infections,,,when I click it it is of course an add for a cleaner programm....more like blackmail to me.
In addition, it has locked me out of "add-remove programs", where I have deleted these kinds of annoyances before....says I must see system administrator...in fact "My Computor" control seems to have been hyjacked.
Any suggestions for a repair, or/and way to enter 'add/remove programs'?
thanx.......TM7

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Hy-Jacked Again....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:21:59 AM »
Sounds like drive cleaner:

http://drive-cleaner.wiki-security.com/wiki/Parasite/Drive_Cleaner

I just went through this three weeks ago after my co-worker "lunch houred" my computer to check out the pics of Brittany Spears getting out of Paris Hilton's car.  ;)  ::)

The freeware stuff typically does not do registry edits and deletions, which will have to be done in order to purge this scourge.

I believe I got the list of registry items from Norton.  Hadn't had a problem since.

As far as the administrator issue, he or the hyjacker apparently created another user, commonly done because the history and recent documents are kept separate per user.  You need to check into the identities and see whats up.  If there are multiple, you need the admin or whichever one has the most privileges and log onto that.  Hopefully, it isn't password protected.  Then you should be able to nuke what needs nuking.

Good luck

and keep the boy off the laptop.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 07:07:44 AM »
You should be able to access "add/remove programs" in safe mode, tap the F8 key at startup before the OS loads to access the boot menu, select administrator at login.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 11:30:09 AM »
Have you googled the offending program name to see what others have done to rid their PC of it?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »
I had that problem before. Do a search using the company name that it keeps sending you to. I don't remember the company name, but there are instructions out there on how to delete the section of code.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 12:08:19 PM »
At my house on my most times slow satellite connection things seem to be working as fast as ever here today.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!