Author Topic: How long do you sit on a stand? How many hours you average per deer killed?  (Read 2170 times)

Offline reyn 61

• Trade Count: (0)
Just curious. I know some that say they sit from dawn til dusk. I average around 4-5hrs. Usually im in around 5:30am. Daylights at 6am. I'll usually sit til 10am sometimes 11am. If i hunt afternoon i try to be in by 1pm til dark which is around 5pm here in Alabama. I have averaged about a 3hr a sit for every deer seen. I killed my first deer 2weeks ago and i was hunting on the ground ( which proved to be very difficult,dang they can smell) Sat down at 1pm and shot him at 4pm. Only one i saw that day.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
I've really never bothered to keep stats on such things. Back when I was hunting mostly in the various WMAs here in Bama I tried to stay on stand all day unless I killed a deer sooner. The other hunters moving around, coming in late, leaving for lunch, coming back for the afternoon, etc. got the deer moving lots of times. Also I found that during the mid day lull after most hunters were back at their vehicles deer would often move about freely for awhile.

When hunting on private land I try to learn the stands and let the activity at each determine when to be there. On a particular piece of property I hunted beginning about '88 it seemed whatever deer were going to be seen would generally come thru about 8:00 to 10:30 AM so I made sure I was there well in advance and sat thru about 11:00 and then left. Afternoon hunts there NEVER resulted in a dead deer so I finally gave up trying in the afternoon.

For sure I didn't kill a deer every time I went out and some times I'd sit all day from dark to dark and come home empty handed. So I just never bothered to try keeping stats on how long it took me to kill a deer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
I'm like GB,never kept stats only know sometimes a couple hrs and sometimes days.Oh and sometimes the whole season lol.I like to stay daylight to dark,if I get restless I get down and move in midday.Tried something different this year and it worked.Instead of going to stand at daybreak I still hunted till 9 then got on stand and by 11am had deer all around me just standing up,at alittle after noon saw 14 deer and one was a spike,so being last day I could hunt put him in freezer.My try that again if need be next year.I used to go in for lunch years ago and my dad would give me the devil,said thats when they getup after bedding in morning to strech and have their lunch,and to take lunch with you and stay out there.Since then I've got a few in middle of the day,including a nice 11pt with 2 drop tines that was just poking around.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline rockbilly

Most of us spent far more hours in a stand than we know.  I usuall like to get in a stand at least 45 minutes before daylight, then stay until around 12=12:30.  It sen most of my bigger deer have been killed between 11-12:30.  I contribute this to the fact that hunters are moving around on the property next to mine, and they spook the deer to my place.  Like GB said, I see a few deer afternoos, but the numbers are small, and at my age I don't see that well at dusk so I usually leave early, or unload the gun and just set and watch as the sun goes down.  I often leave the house about 10am, make the 25 mile drive to my place and hunt untill 4-5 pm.  I see a lot of game doing this.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Never really counted.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Ok guys help me with this one. I too do not keep track of time on stand.. But, I shot a ton of deer just north of NYC. Yes, it's very hard to explain this to my south friends. Anyway in NY, I would see deer all day, and be on alert dawn to dusk. I have had very good success here in NC, since I moved 6 years ago. However, If I don't see anything in NC by 10am, my deer encounters drop way off, I might as well just leave. Specifically 11/1 - to 12/15. Does the faster rise in temps in the south during the day reduce deer movement. Morning temp is pretty close to NY, but again the temp goes up faster during the course of the day!!!

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
I hunt in Ny and sit near the top of a mountain; I've shot a deer almost every year (in the same spot) between the hours of 10 AM to 12:30 noon. Never shot a deer before or after those hours. Seems the other hunters flush the deer out from the swamp in the valley and I am the benificiary of all their hard work.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
On a morning hunt, I'll sit in the stand until my mind is clear.  Sometimes it takes until lunch (although I hardly ever see deer past 8:30).  Other times, I try to sneak out without the deer spooking after only an hour.

On evening hunts, I head out once the chores are done.  Just like the morning hunts, most deer are seen within an hour of sunset.  If I'm seated and quite by 5:00, the less experienced deer will come by within a few minutes.  I usually like to get out there by 3:30 or 4 so I can actually relax and enjoy the hunt.

I've been fortunate enough to see, on average, 5-7 deer EVERY time I go out.  None have been anything to brag about size wise, but every one of them gets the adrenaline going.  There have been 2 BIG (for the area) bucks taken where I hunt, and both were shot within 30 minutes of sunrise and sunset.

I plan on shooting a deer tomorrow afternoon for summer sausage, and I will bet I shoot her within 10 minutes of 5:30.  It's kind of funny I guess, I don't see my SHOOTING a deer tomorrow as "hunting".  It would be "hunting" if I try to ambush one of the mature bucks that cut across the pasture on their way to the wheat field right at dark.  THOSE deer are harder to find now that they have been spooked by hunters a time or two over the past month.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline heartman

Well, any time hunting in the woods is a good thing, so I keep away from counting the minutes so to speak.  But, I can tell you that during the 2006 season here in northen MN I put in more days than I usually do - bought the all season all everything bow/rifle/MZ license for $80, and was able to spend roughly 12 days out in the woods hunting deer.  Great, great times with friends and family.  ONe of our guys shot 2, another shot 6.

Did I get a deer?  Yes, an 8 point buck, at 9am on the last day of the season.  It was the only deer I saw all season long - go figure...

Such is life - in this case, not a bad problem AT ALL.  There's always next year, and I did find some new territory to hunt...

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
I've really never bothered to keep stats on such things. Back when I was hunting mostly in the various WMAs here in Bama I tried to stay on stand all day unless I killed a deer sooner. The other hunters moving around, coming in late, leaving for lunch, coming back for the afternoon, etc. got the deer moving lots of times. Also I found that during the mid day lull after most hunters were back at their vehicles deer would often move about freely for awhile.

When hunting on private land I try to learn the stands and let the activity at each determine when to be there. On a particular piece of property I hunted beginning about '88 it seemed whatever deer were going to be seen would generally come thru about 8:00 to 10:30 AM so I made sure I was there well in advance and sat thru about 11:00 and then left. Afternoon hunts there NEVER resulted in a dead deer so I finally gave up trying in the afternoon.

For sure I didn't kill a deer every time I went out and some times I'd sit all day from dark to dark and come home empty handed. So I just never bothered to try keeping stats on how long it took me to kill a deer.

Very similar situation here too.  On the private land I hunt the deer tend to move just prior to dark.  If I am on stand about 2 hours before that I will see deer.  Howver, this is in the shotgun only zone and they dont always come close enough (within 125 -150 yds).  If I could just use my up north deer rifle!!! 

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: How long do you sit on a stand? How many hours you average per deer killed?
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 10:43:55 AM »
As a guest on 300+ acres in SC, I go into the woods before dawn, sit in a field/edge stand for 3-4 hours, leap-frog into a woods stand and sit there for 3-4 hours, leap-frog again into a field/edge stand and sit there until just after dark.  This scenario repeats until a deer is killed.  Then out to the Processor.  Seeing deer could be minutes into any stand.  Could be hours.  Could be days.  All possibilities are in play.  Typically I kill 5 to 7 deer in SC over ten days.

On 20 acres in FL, I sit in my field and woods stands as in SC, but the time to a deer kill (all seasons hunted) is numbered in months and sometimes seasons.  Poachers and hogs are to blame.  Not much more I can do against Poachers, except put good money at risk in Trail Cameras. 

We have killed 100 to 1 : hogs vs. deer over the same time line even with outstanding wildlife food plots, plenty of evidence of deer, and general sightings of does/button and nubbin' bucks (State is not liberal with doe tags on only 20 acres).

Offline motor

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 12:29:17 PM »
I go to my stand at daylight and am back eating breakfast by 9:30..go back at 3:00 till dark..
Just an ole sinner saved by grace..

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 12:53:34 PM »
26 hours so far and no deer!
    Ray

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 02:22:30 PM »
Awake hours or hours total? ;D
I usually get to my stand 45 min to 1hr before light. I like to be early as I usually hunt on public land and want to beat others to my stand. Also I like to look at the stars, I'm from the city and don't get a chance to see them from out in the woods in pitch black. At around 10 or 11 I usually fall asleep, especially if it's warm. That's when most of the deer come by. I had a doe wake me up this year ands she didn't even have the decency to let me get my bow and shoot her. I usually pack a couple of sandwiches and some snacks and water and stay out til dusk.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline reyn 61

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 07:36:43 PM »
The main reason i asked was to see what kind of patience other folks have. Im not very patient but i wanna be. If i could see a deer almost every time my patience is high. If i spend a couple days out and dont see anything i find it harder to sit the next day for longer than 3hrs.  As far as hours spent per deer i was thinking off the top of my head for the last few hunts where i saw deer and i was averaging  3hrs of sitting before i ever saw a deer. Today i sat from 12:30 til 5pm but didnt see anything.

Offline Charlie Tango

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 04:36:57 AM »
I am just like you, If there is something to watch even if it is just some rabbits or birds I am good for a long sit.  But If the woods are dead  I cant sit still for anything. 

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 05:15:13 PM »
Hey guys I'm from Ohio. I have hunted many times and have seen no deer for several hours and have seen nothing. It happens you go from seeing 25 deer to none, but here is how I look at it.  It takes one deer to change your entire hunt especially during the rut. So keep in mind that anything is possible especially deer hunting and it depends on your weather if it 30 degrees you will see more deer guaranteed why because deer move when it is cold extremely cold, but if it is 50 or 60 you will see less deer. Hope I helped       

Buckshooter           ;)
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 02:53:55 AM »
It's just like fishing.  That next cast may bring the big 'un.  That next minute may bring that Big 'un stepping out of the woods.  And I have indeed let my rifle down out of a stand and been half way to the ground only to look over and see a deer watching me.
If I had to make a choice, I'd give up the evening portion of the day and stay on stand until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  If, for no other reasons, tracking, gutting(whilst holding a flashlight in your teeth), and packing out a deer after dark ain't the funnest things to do.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 03:41:52 AM »
I am going to try going by solarlunar tables Saturday.   I saw a nice buck recently, and I noted he was out in a major feed.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 04:02:21 AM »
Every field & deer act different and about the time you figure it out the moon or weather will mix it up.

This year the first weekend of muzzle loader the deer did not come out in the day.
It was unusually warm and the full moon was so bright they just feed all night.

The next weekend I sat until 10:00 am and a big buck ran into my field as I drove off.
OOPS!

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 09:36:21 AM »
We have had a change in weather.  We went from hot and humid to cool(cold) and dry.  This weekend should energize our deer population.  Florida cold in the 50s.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 12:09:29 PM »
In rifle season I sit all day.  Never leave the post except if I get a deer.  After the 1st deer I usually go to hunting afternoons. 

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 05:57:01 AM »
All depends on the weather. I hunt in East Texas where the temperature is warm to hot and humid first part of the season. When it's hot activity drops to zero after 9:00 AM and normally does not pick up again till 4:00 PM so staying in the stand until 10:00 AM and getting back in 2:30 to 3:00 PM is pretty common. The other problem is mosquitoes. Later in the season I've been known to stay all day. This weekend is supposed to be lows in the 60's and highs in the mid 80's.

Offline Ruskin

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
Tomorrow  morning is opening day for general gun.  Will met at the gate at 0530.  Partner found new scrapes on the other side of field away form when I and my other partner have planned to set.

Afternoon will be a dove shoot.

I f i get back in time there is veterans day parade. Like to take grandchild.  Hope he remebers why we salute vets.

Happy birthday Marines from a younger branch of the service(USAF born in 1947 after separating from Army).

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2007, 06:34:34 AM »
I get in the feild about 30 mins before daylight and it starts getting where u can see around 6:30 and i hunt to about 10 go see if fellow hunters have got any thing eat dinner and get back in the Field about 3 and hunt tell dark it gets dark here about 5:45 so i am in the Field ever day i go hunting about 6 hours a day
1 shot 1 kill

Offline jengel

• The Great Outdoors Gun Shop
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2007, 05:40:58 PM »
Last deer season, I sat for about 1/2 hour and killed a nice little buck.