Author Topic: New Auctionh site to replace EBay?  (Read 969 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
New Auctionh site to replace EBay?
« on: September 07, 2007, 07:08:48 AM »
Hey guys check this out Black Powder Muzzleloading Cannons   We gotta keep our eye on that site!!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: New Auctionh site to replace EBay?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 09:16:51 AM »
Why? Looks like another wannabe that has little to offer. There is more than that listed on the GBO Classifieds all the time.

Getting a new auction site off the ground is a tough go for sure. We tried it and even with the member base we have here were totally unable to get it going. Folks with stuff to sell want to post it where there are tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of folks to look at it and bid on it so don't list on small new sites. Folks wanting to buy want a HUGE selection so are less inclined to buy at small sites with few items to chose from. It's kind of a catch 22 in getting a new auction site going. That's why we gave up on the idea here, none of you would use it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:26:04 AM »
Bill was that before the EBAY thing happened?  Ebay was and is very hard to wean off of, since the site was large, lots of sellers, and (at least) initial auctions prices were low. Crazed bidding of-times wiped out any rationality as far as realistic prices went, but the thing was at least some of the time, you could get a good deal.

The auction sites that have taken up the gauntlet for the displaced gun Ebayers have a way to go. Most of the sellers are professionals who price their items high to start with. Personally, I don't blame them, I know what things cost, but what they do not understand is many of the bidders are gonna be the little guys looking for a bargain. When they see high initial prices, they will not bid, because they feel they are not even gonna have a chance at a good deal.

I hope that you might try it again at some future point, let's see how the other two places pan out.
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: New Auction site to replace EBay?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 04:39:06 AM »
They have been open about a week and yes in direct response to EBay.  They have a 1 year contract for the site.  All we can do is watch them and see what happens. 

When they asked me what I thought I told them good  luck and get a black powder cannon catagory and they did.  Now if anybody wants a cannon they another place to look.

The real problem is generating a customer base.  Right now, It be safe bet to say there is a far larger audience here on GBO than they have.  I also know that in some of the discussions on the other boards a lot of people were luke warm about moving their Ebay auctions to GunBroker and Auction Arms citing lake of appropiate catagoires and customer base.

We will just have to wait and see.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 11:36:09 PM »
 I've been using AuctionArms since about 2000 and I like them. They're making an effort to help ebay users to transfer their business over to their site (Why wouldn't they? $$$) by allowing new members to reference their ebay feedback, keep their ebay name and having new ebay-like categories for gun parts.

http://www.auctionarms.com/AdandonedEbayUsers.cfm

I figure that after a while, previous ebay gun part buyers and sellers will for the most part be using AuctionArms and Gunbroker at a similar volume as they were using ebay. That's kind of what happened when ebay decided they were not going to allow any airgun sales anymore. BB gun geeks like me just started going to the two main dedicated gun auction sites and forgot about ebay for the stuff we wanted.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline reloadersauction

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 03:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the mention Double D,

Why? Looks like another wannabe that has little to offer. There is more than that listed on the GBO Classifieds all the time.

Getting a new auction site off the ground is a tough go for sure. We tried it and even with the member base we have here were totally unable to get it going. Folks with stuff to sell want to post it where there are tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of folks to look at it and bid on it so don't list on small new sites. Folks wanting to buy want a HUGE selection so are less inclined to buy at small sites with few items to chose from. It's kind of a catch 22 in getting a new auction site going. That's why we gave up on the idea here, none of you would use it.

Hi Graybeard.....I know what any new site looks like....Exactly what you said above......but I figure since the auction site is my ONLY focus it may do OK in the near future.I got pretty steamed when Ebay put the foot to our bootie, as everyone else did....but I figured I didn't have to sit on the sidelines...
And after some some in depth Coors Light thought  :cheers: I also figured, First, we needed a site Like this....I WAS satisfied with Ebay until they changed policy on us and made me realize that we meant NOTHING to them as members.

Secondly, I am self employed, so the time it takes to promote the site is not a problem, the Software actually runs the site with very little maintenance and I have already prepaid server fees for 1 year....we will be there that long at least...lol

Thirdly, Where else can someone auction these types of items for free,sell it for any price, and only pay a dollar, (final selling price fee) and ONLY if it sells? The selling fees are only a dollar because I thought that if a seller's fees were lower the cost passed on to the buyer would be lower... NOTHING MORE!....I am all about a good deal..

Fourth, if I listen to the members suggestions and feedback and make changes accordingly, it can only get better! We have a Discussion Forum for this purpose.

And the last thing was that I am not doing this to get rich.....heck, I make good money with my commercial refrigeration business....I just need a place to buy CHEAP reloading supplies, and another hobby...lol

A few things I am working on now is:
1. Due to Member input, I am Changing it to where there will only be 2 types of store fronts.....Commercial and Non-Commercial(personal). This is monitored, regulated and enforced thru a "Store management" interface within the software.

2. 3rd week of October '07 a search option will be added to enable a member to exclude any items listed by Commercial sellers or Non-Commercial sellers (their choice) in a general auction search. (option is there now but not activated thru programming code, completion date will be as mentioned above)

3. Capping the number of commercial listings to further cut down on "clutter"

Getting it off the ground WILL be the hardest thing, but hopefully with some word-of-mouth and a small bit of advertisement I think it will eventually fly.....i'm in no huge hurry because there will be some bugs to work out along the way....

Johnny Burnette
Owner/Admin &
N. Carolina Redneck Reloader

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 12:25:59 PM »
My company listed items on Ebay and others on Auctionarms for years.  We now have our own site at springfieldarsenal.net, but we'll begin listing some things on Auctionarms in near future.  I have recommended Auctionarms as an appropriate replacement for Ebay, to many friends and customers.