Author Topic: Ft. Stevens , Oregon  (Read 836 times)

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
Ft. Stevens , Oregon
« on: September 25, 2007, 02:53:01 PM »
While on my anniversary in August., my wife decided to check out the WW2 aircraft in Tillimook Oregon and then proceed north to Fort. Stevens . She thought she would like to see the retractable guns there that are similar to the ones she remembered at Corregidor outside Manila Bay . While we were enjoying our anniversary trip ....., lo-an-behold lucky for her ., it just so happened to be during a Civil-War-Re-enactment !!! You just cant imagine how "Happy" my wife was during this 7'th anniversary with me . *Grinning - with my gold teeth* !
There was a little something for everyone it seems ..., these reminded me of seacoastartillery .

It was fun to watch this 200lb Parrot fire.

The Bronze 6 pounder was good.

And of course the mortars ., everyone likes !!!

My personal favorite stuff a 1" sub-scale naval cannon

The Rodmans

And lastly the reason the wife wanted to stop was to see this !

Offline lance

Re: Ft. Stevens , Oregon
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:50:28 PM »
great pics Rich!!! thanks for sharing, i like them all, but you know i'm eyeing them mortars ;D........ wishing you many more happy anniversaries!!!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:22:20 PM »
     Tropico,  Thanks for posting all those wonderful pics.  We are putting Ft. Stevens on our itinerary for the next trip west.  You captured some great stuff with that lens.  I read about this 200 pounder Parrott Rifle and the gun on the disappearing gun carriage on some obscure website about three years ago.  Incredibly the group of "Friends of Ft. Stevens" created both the seacoast and the coast artillery gun out of raw materials which they purchased!!  They also had some large bronze castings poured for the replica tube-lifting swingarm bearings.  Both of them were extensive steel fabrication projects.  It looks like they did fantastic work!  We will visit this site for sure.  Thank you again and Happy Anniversary!

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 06:45:33 AM »
Tropico, on the way to the air museum, about 5 miles south of Seaside there was a plaque on the side of the road with a cannon barrel above it, I missed it and couldn't turn around to see what it was about. Did you see it?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 06:48:24 AM »
I did Rusty ! but.., we were going pretty fast and had alot of cars behind us there fore I coulld not stop. I do not know where the cannon came from ., however it is why Cannon Beach is called Cannon Beach !

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 06:58:29 AM »
     Disappearing Gun currently being built at Fort Stevens, Oregon!!  If anyone would like to see photos of a Coast Artillery Gun on a Disappearing Carriage currently IN PRODUCTION, just go to  The Coast Defense Study Group, Inc.  site whose link DD already gave us in the thread, "Anyone have an interest in Coast Artillery?"  CDSG member, Jack Buckmeir took on this daunting task in 2001 in cooperation with the Friends of Fort Stevens, Oregon effort to restore the artillery of Battery Pratt to active status.  This 6" gun looks just like the original that we saw in 2001 at Battery Cooper on the Gulf Coast on Santa Rosa Island near Fort Pickens in western Florida. 

The link to the photo essay is near the bottom of the CDSG Home Page list.  Click on:  "The Battery Pratt Restoration Project at Fort Stevens State Park, Oregon".

FYI,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 03:55:19 AM »
Tropico did you I.D. the small ships gun on the cut a way display?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 05:23:26 AM »
They claimed it was a copy of a 24 pounder and it looks pretty close., I cant be sure. It was a sleeved cast iron barrel., but I do not know who the maker was.