Author Topic: lighter than lead  (Read 570 times)

Offline boneguru

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
lighter than lead
« on: July 02, 2003, 09:16:05 AM »
I have been reading lately about using 95-5 tin-antimony and how this tends to reduce the weight about a third. what are the experiences is this practicle safe etc? Raymond
SUA SPONTE

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
lighter than lead
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 10:45:56 AM »
theyd be some expensive bullets
blue lives matter

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
lighter than lead
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 10:46:24 AM »
Reduction occurs, but  only by a few grains. Also, there is less srinkage during casting. Molds are made by Lyman to use what they call #2 metal. I'm not sure what the other mold makers use as a standard.  So, if you use pure lead in a lyman mold, the bullet will weigh a few grains more, but also will be a few ten thousandths less in diameter. This difference varries from one caliber to the next, and I'm not sure if there is any ratio of this difference over the range of .22 to .60 caliber as bullets come in different lengths. The same 'unsurness' exists depending on the percentage of your mix. As you go from 50% lead to 100% lead, the metal mix shrinkage does not vary in a liner manner, especially if you are vaying your tin-antomony mix at the same time. I use the term 'unsure' in a non-scientific manner: metalurgists have developed a quite complex graph showing the characteristics of a lead-tin-antomony mix in most of it's usable ratios. I bet there are several folks on this board who could describe their findings when they experimented trying to make tougher or more precise (bore diameter) bullets by changing the metal ratios. 8)

Offline Billy Marr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
lighter than lead
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 02:12:50 AM »
In a sense of jest and common sense mix I write this. With Lead alloys when you make the lighter you make them fatter. unlike the wife :) Now since the bullet is lighter it should develope less pressure right. But no it is now fatter thus grabing into the lands and groves better with its lager and usaully harder surface area making pressures rise just like the wife.
lead bullets done right

Offline waksupi

• Trade Count: (0)
lighter than lead
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 07:02:21 PM »
I did some testing this past winter for a private mold designer, using this mixture on a long-for-caliber bullet. Results with this particular design, was approximately a 24 foot(!) pattern at a hundred yards. Bullets recovered after the snow melted this spring were an exagerated banana shape. So I will suggest if you want to try this, keep your bullet length down. Another light bullet alternative is the pot metal from old carburator bodies. These can be shot at extreme velocities, and will perform like an armor piercing round, so caution is needed where you shoot them.