Author Topic: Handi Stinger Mannlicher is ready to go. Pictures  (Read 1616 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Handi Stinger Mannlicher is ready to go. Pictures
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:46:14 AM »
Well here it is. This rifle started out as a .308 Survivor. Mannlicher for-end I got on e-bay but it came from Gunstocks Inc. and that is a Gunstocks Stinger stock with Simms recoil pad. Montana sling I put on all of my rifles came from Brownells. 2.5 lb trigger by me and a Truglo 3X9 LR with BDC. Warne rings. This rifle will hunt this year as a .308 but I have plans to make it a .358 someday. All wood has three coats of Linspeed done like this - 600 finish then 1st coat 1500 wet sand then 2nd coat 600 SW then final coat 600 SW then Mothers carnuba wax and buff. Now I know why my other rifles are synthetic.Going to the range now to see if it shoots.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/montanajustice/mannlicher308-2.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i97/montanajustice/mannlicher308.jpg

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Handi Stinger Mannlicher is ready to go. Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 10:10:11 AM »
Nice Job Fanner50. Let's us know how she shoots. -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline rbergum95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 10:11:13 AM »
you definately have a 1 of a kind handi there. i like it. make sure to give us a range report when you can.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 10:20:23 AM »
Nice work Gary, looking forward to the range report!! ;)

Thanks for the look,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »
Range report - Rifle shoots cheap Winchester 150 gr 1.5" at 100 yds after sighting in and adjusting. Pretty rapid fire with little or no cool down, so I'm very happy as I haven't RTV'd it yet. Truglo scope was a disappointment. It would not focus on 9 X and on 7X to 8X when the target was in focus the cross hairs weren't. Now then it did respond to adjustment and I was able to bring the POI to about 1.5"high at 100 yds.just kept it on 5X. On shot #15 a chunk of something appeared in the scope and won't move. Looks like I'll be calling someone in Richardson Texas on Monday.Thanks for the kind words guys. My next project is a timber laminated, straight grip, full mannlicher, 45-70 Handi that should be here Monday.I started on the stock this afternoon. Tim that's the one getting the peep with the lock knob, thanks to you.  ;) ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
That's great for out of the box with factory ammo and a scope problem ta boot!! ;)

The 45-70 ought to be a great looking firearm when you work your magic on that GSI stock!!  :)

Tim

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 06:05:34 AM »
Mon. 9/24/07 Called Richardson Texas - Truglo factory - the lady said here's a RA# when we get it back we will send out a new one right away. Going to mail it out today and see if she speaks the truth. I hope so as my antelope hunt is just around the corner and this is my back-up to the .243 Ultra Varmint. I thought it was made in USA turns out she says that about 1/2 of their products are made in China. I sure hope it isn't covered with lead based paint. I'll let you all know the results. - F50

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 06:37:04 AM »
I like it.

The angular rather than curved out/ radius traditional style forearm is a better look with the thumbhole.............me thinks  ;)

I like those sling also...............never seen one before.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 08:03:28 AM »
THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL RIFLE!!!! I think I'll do that to my 45/70. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »
F50

Very nice , a little mild for my taste , but very nice all the same .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 11:32:52 AM »
I'll have to do one in "Hot Pink" for ya stimpy. Called Truglo and the guy said he had just received my scope. I explained the problems to him and he said he would ship out a new one today. Not bad service but I would have prefered no problem to start with. If the replacement has no problems than I would say they're a pretty good scope for the money. Very clear and precise adjustments. The jury is out I'll let ya know when it gets here. F50

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 11:44:11 AM »
I took a look at one of the Truglo scopes at SWFA, want a compact inexpensive scope for the 243 Superlight, but held off until I get your final appraisal!! Ordered the Weaver closeout instead for now.

Then last night I was looking at Midsouth's scopes again, they have a bunch of their good optics on sale, ordered another of the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 camo shotgun scopes for $130.

Tim

Truglo 4x32

Weaver 4x32

Midsouth 2-7x scopes

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »
Range report - Rifle shoots cheap Winchester 150 gr 1.5" at 100 yds after sighting in and adjusting. Pretty rapid fire with little or no cool down, so I'm very happy as I haven't RTV'd it yet. Truglo scope was a disappointment. It would not focus on 9 X and on 7X to 8X when the target was in focus the cross hairs weren't. Now then it did respond to adjustment and I was able to bring the POI to about 1.5"high at 100 yds.just kept it on 5X. On shot #15 a chunk of something appeared in the scope and won't move. Looks like I'll be calling someone in Richardson Texas on Monday.Thanks for the kind words guys. My next project is a timber laminated, straight grip, full mannlicher, 45-70 Handi that should be here Monday.I started on the stock this afternoon. Tim that's the one getting the peep with the lock knob, thanks to you.  ;) ;D

Man I must have missed this topic, but first off nice job on the stocks. I am sure the pics do them no real justice. And as Tim said 1.5" at 100 with factory ammo and a bottoming scope - and shooting at 5x- , really show you got some potiential there for a great shooter.  I too look forward to hearing more.

-Aaron

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 03:44:52 PM »
Wow!! That's sharp. And a shooter to boot. :o ;D
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »
Got the scope back from Truglo as promised. This one is clear and has no malfunctions. Went to range sighted in with two shots and fired 1" 3 shot group with Federal Power shock 180 gr. This is me being very happy as I'm on my way to Malta Montana for a week of hunting antelope, mule deer, ducks, geese, pheasants and p-dawgs. Just me and my Black Lab- Gary's Montana Gunslinger"Gunner" for short. This is my idea of a real vacation. Going to take .243 Ultra Varmint, .308 Stinger mannlicher, 35 Whelen W/Ultra varmint stock and 12 ga pump. Oh! and lots of ammo for each.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 08:16:42 AM »
Which are you using for the p-dawgs, the .243 or 12 ga?   :D
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:56 AM »
This is the rifle responsible for a 275 yd antelope and a 330 yd mule deer. I am now calling it a "Long stock" out of respect to Fred.
Best to all - F50