Author Topic: New Handi--#3 Hornet  (Read 334 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
New Handi--#3 Hornet
« on: October 02, 2007, 05:31:48 AM »
Just ordered a new Hornet standard SB2-224 and a set of camo lams to go with it. This will be my 'walking stalking' gun. If it shoots 1-1/2 MOA I will be content----------------well maybe not--we'll see. After finally getting my 204 tuned(did it backwards) my confidence in the Handi rifle was restored so I got what I first tried to find in a tip-up rifle at last. I'll try factory ammo first to see how she shoots and then MAYBE I will reload for it. If I do reload for it there is the question of bullet diameter as I understand that some shoot 224 and some 223. Can anyone shed some lite on this?

Thanks

Mc

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New Handi--#3 Hornet
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:51:41 AM »
I believe that of current production Browning and CZ still produce .223 barrels, Handis Rugers and Savages are .224. Historically I think they ranged from .222 -.224 (I would have to look that up) and oddly hornets have a reputation for spotty accuracy.  I believe that companies that make hornet specific heads make them in both .223 and .224, Personally I don't like the hornet specific bullets too much they tend to be very stubby to allow for slow twist rates and small mag's limiting COL.

If you already reload then get hornet dies factory ammo is stupid expensive (one very real draw back of the hornet) the last I bought from SIR was $46 for 50, reloads run from ~12(remington bulk) - ~18(nosler BT's).

As for factory test ammo you definitely want some 35 gr hornadys , one of the winchester loadings (mine liked the 46 gr HP) I don't know if I would bother with the remngton loadings, I can't remember any good reports with them but ironically the remington cases are supposed to hold .5 of a grain more powder than the others and with the low pressures that lil'gun produces that is useful space (once in the last 6 months I have seen bulk remy brass locally I was stupid not to buy it all then).
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:18:13 AM »
Thanks!!

Mc

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 07:42:23 AM »
Great!

BTW- it's .224"  1/12 twist

I really like the Camo laminates and wish I had one at times. The Bumble Bee stocks look nice in pics but are a bit God'y in the field for us small town guys (chuckle).  I swear some of the varmints look at me and say "what in tarnation you pack'in there boy!" (chuckle) Post some pics when you get it set up!!! I think you will fall in love with the Hornet for a first class walking varmint rifle.  They are very fun to shoot also.  You will see the impact on varmints  :o :D

Winchester Super X 46 hollow points for factory.  Save the brass

Do your normal Handi adjustments if needed (hope the lock up is good).  Mine really came in after 50 rounds or so.

Remember, the Hornet is very wind sensitive nearly like a rim mag  You may want to shoot at 50 yards from the start, gain confidence,test,  look for 1/2" 5 shot there, etc.  Takes little wind to blow off a group at 100 yards..........and it's not the gun.

Stay away from the Remington ammo........at least in my Handi.  The Hornady factory 35 gr V Max stuff is pretty good but hotter than blue blazes at 3100 fps !!!  Explosive too!!! To hot for best accuracy in some guns.  Most you reload it back it off to 2800-2900 to gain accuracy.  Never tried the Winny Supremes 34 grain but it's likely very good.  Mine like the Super X 46 HP's best day in and out.

For reloading I just added some things below...........maybe just what your looking for.