Author Topic: hinge point rest  (Read 474 times)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
hinge point rest
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:21:55 AM »
i hear about resting the handi on the hinge point or not on the fore end when shooting from a bench. is this for siting in or trying to shoot very tight groups, when hunting this is going to be a problem, not useing the fore end. depending on the game the group could be larger
than 1-11/2" maybe i am missing something.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Re: hinge point rest
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 07:53:22 AM »
I have wondered about it myself.
Were will it shoot off hand if I sighted it in with the pin on a sand bag.

I don't shoot well enough off hand to know for sure.
When I shoot in the field with a rest I try to have the rifle as far forward as I can.
I have been able to hit various animals at reasonable ranges.

Most like to shoot tight groups when they are sighting in.
It's hard to decide to make a 1/4" click when you have a 3" group.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:08:22 AM »
For shooting off-hand you will need to read adjust your scope because you will be supporting it under the fore-stock. Now that I have my 204 shooting from the bench I will be shooting off-hand to get used to it and to re-zero for that method of shooting. I really don't know how much-- if any- I will need to adjust it. But shooting off-hand is a whole 'nuther' shooting world and takes practice.

Mc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 08:12:09 AM »
i hear about resting the handi on the hinge point or not on the fore end when shooting from a bench. is this for siting in or trying to shoot very tight groups, when hunting this is going to be a problem, not useing the fore end. depending on the game the group could be larger
than 1-11/2" maybe i am missing something.

No...shooting off a rest will always give you tighter groups...and with the Handi's unless they have been modified...they do shoot best off the hinge area...Practice with your field positions...One of the positions I like to sit on the ground and have my knees up holding the outside (right) knee on top with my left hand and shoot off my left arm...It's almost as stable as a bench...I position the rifle a little further forward...where it is resting on my arm on the fore end spacer..otherwise I am shooting off a mono-pod..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 09:42:44 AM »
i do not shoot off hand at all, un less i have to, just to tricky, can always find a rest of some kind. What you are saying is what i was thinking, site in as small as possible from bench and then get down to the nitty gritty, in dif. positions. Their is really no reason for off hand shots
if you don't have time to take a rest then it is usually a running shot, which years ago i might try, but wouldn't today
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 02:08:14 AM »
I don't have a problem shooting off-hand with my handi, as I'm used to shooting with my heavy barreled Hawken muzzle loader.

I place my left elbow against my body, and place my left hand palm facing up just in front of the trigger guard.

This is a rock solid shooting position for me, and with a little practice you can shoot even sitting using that method.

I'll always try to use a stationary rest when possible, but off-hand it doesn't seem to matter!

Shot a hog yesterday at 125 yards with my handi resting it on the hinge, out of a blind.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline huntnut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 02:33:19 AM »
I'm one of those lucky to have a gun that shoots great even off the forend. I can shoot  my 243 ultra .750-.500" groups of the bench resting on the forend and 1"-.750" off my shooting sticks resting just at the sling stud. The only thang I have done to the gun if I put a extra thick O-ring between the barrel and forend. Best group I have ever shot was like .336" 4shot group. Now saying that I had a 204 handi that was a little picky where I rested the forend, I had to be towards the back of the forarm to get real good groups, but I had a thinner O-ring in that gun which makes me beleave that had something to do with it.
AIM SMALL MISS SMALL 1 SHOT 1 KILL