Author Topic: Reloading 7.62 x 51 brass for use in a .308 Handi?  (Read 265 times)

Offline dm1333

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading 7.62 x 51 brass for use in a .308 Handi?
« on: October 01, 2007, 01:55:29 PM »
What kind of problems will I run into with the OAL of the case?  I'm not worried about the primers and pockets, but is it advisable for me to pick up 7.62 brass when we are shooting at the range and reload it?  Will full length resizing work?  I'm curious if I should keep collecting brass.  I already have made a good bit of headway into a lifetime supply of 5.56 brass to reload for my AR.

edit: I forgot to add that I know about the smaller case capacity and to be aware of pressure problems because of this.  I am not planning any hot loads, just to duplicate something like the Remington Core Lokt in 150 grain.

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Reloading 7.62 x 51 brass for use in a .308 Handi?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 05:28:50 PM »
What is it being fired in to start with?  If it is 240 or some other machine gun then........it is your call about resizing.  From what I have read then the brass will have problems. 

That being said, I would think that logically, you might be overworking some NATO brass from a machine gun and causing it to harden earlier.  So you might get 2-3 loadings instead of 5-6 loadings, for example. 

I would do it.  For what that is worth. 

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Reloading 7.62 x 51 brass for use in a .308 Handi?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:41:20 PM »
  You could get by that brittle jazz by annealing I would think. Don't pass of the primer pocket thing too lightly though. If you don't ream or better yet swage those primer pockets I can guarantee you trouble!
   That being said, My alltime favorite whiteail load (which I have finally run out of) was a 30cal ammo can full of delinked m-60 machine gun belts that My dad and I pulled the bullets out of, and reseated some 150 round nose flat point (30/30) bullets he bought in bulk some where. They would group under an inch at 100yds with my old Remington 788 carbine and of all the many large and small deer I shot with them over the years, not a single one took another step. All the full grown sized ones were shot through the lungs and the bullet was always found more or less intact under the hide on the offside. I shot one big ol' grain fed buck out in western Oklahoma at a measured 160yds while hunting with my grand dad one year that weighed 178 pounds field dressed. My Granddad was in the ground blind with me (big ol' round hay bale) spotting with binox and said the deer went down like he had ropes tied to all four feet and then pulled in all four directions!
Just My 2¢
dg