Author Topic: Matt lost EVERYTHING in a home fire this morning.  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Matt lost EVERYTHING in a home fire this morning.
« on: September 29, 2007, 11:41:45 PM »
Guys I just got a call from Matt. His home just burned to the ground. He lost everything but his life, Heather and the boys. They all got out but were not able to take anything thing out with them but the clothes they had on at the time. It's a total loss and they didn't have any insurance.

I did ask about the new servers and for sure one is lost and the other is a maybe but it's entirely possible all our investment in them is gone but more importantly everything else he had is gone. All of his computers and all the work he had on them, all their clothes and furniture and all that makes up one's life day to day is lost.

I repeat Matt, Heather and all the boys got out safely. All else is GONE.

It started on the back porch and the fire department is investigating and thinks it was arson.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gdolby

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Matt lost EVERYTHING in a home fire this morning.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:03:53 AM »
good day, am glad matt and family are safe. Is there anything that GBO members can do? if so let us know...........Bill

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 01:29:09 AM »
Bill, I hate to hear that. My condolences to Matt and his family and I'm glad that they are safe. I always hate to hear that anyone loses their home and all their personal belongings in a house fire, that's a tragedy.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 02:16:22 AM »
Thanks guys all I can say is the most important items in the house was saved and that was Heather and the boys all the rest can be replaced.

GB was not exaggerating everything up stairs was a total loos to include one of our new servers. The second was downstairs and was away from where the water damage is.  As for my personal computers they are all a wash. I do have the GBO siite backed up on an offsite server so GBO will survive.

At the moment the most important things are boys cloths ages 2 months, 3 years and 4 years toys would be great but not a necessity. I really hate to say it or ask it but at this time money is going to be the main thing we fall short on.

Will be glad to get any handme downs size 32 waist 32 inseam (mens)  size nine jeans in women's  and medium shirts.

Any donations can be sent to GB's house

3015 AL HWY 204
Jacksonville, AL 36265

We are going to stay with family a few days and sort through the ashes to see if anything is salvageable.

Those wishing to donate cash to help can use the GBO Server Fund pay pal button at the bottom of every page. We will forever be in your debt.

Again thanks to all of the GBO Family for your support in this time of need.

Matt, Heather & Family
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 02:33:01 AM »
Over the years I have sometimes thought that Matt cared more about this site than any thing else.  Now it is clear to me why.  Your willingness to help us out during a time when we have nothing and need everything, even though most of you have never even met us is person touches my heart.  I have almost resented the time he spends on this site.  Now I understand that you guys are as much of a family to him as my boys and I are.  Words can not express how much this means to me.  You will never understand how much better I feel about the whole situation just from reading your post.  I cant explain how much this means to us.   Thank you all for you kind words and willingness to assist us in this time of need.

God Bless,
Heather
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 06:21:14 AM »
A family and NO INSURANCE???
That sucks.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 06:24:21 AM »
Damn sorry to hear of your loss. Glad to hear no one got hurt. Material things can be replaced lives cannot. Matt you better check again to see who has it in for you some one evidently does with the problems you have had lately. Again sorry for your loss.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 06:43:02 AM »
Damn sorry to hear of your loss. Glad to hear no one got hurt. Material things can be replaced lives cannot. Matt you better check again to see who has it in for you some one evidently does with the problems you have had lately. Again sorry for your loss.
Are you saying the fire was set? I did not read that into this.
I had an office fire years ago... the office is nothing compared to the house

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »
Are you saying the fire was set? I did not read that into this.

Read the last sentence in Bill's post.

It started on the back porch and the fire department is investigating and thinks it was arson.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 07:45:25 AM »
Matt is and for years has been self employed only. His income has never been all that much at any given time and comes in spurts rather than an even flow due to the nature of the work he does. They were renting the house they didn't own it. So no insurance to cover their losses.

At this time we don't really know the cause of fire but yes at this time arson is most likely the expected cause it would seem. Fire started on the back porch of the home and spread upward to the roof and from their into the adjacent kitchen then into his office which was the next room. Fire damage was most extensive in those areas and smoke and water damage was what got much else. But his office was loaded with all his equipment both personal and for his work. There were several customer owned computers in there that went up as well as all his own.

Final determination of cause of fire has not yet been made as far as I Know but I am heading that way soon and may know more when I return. I will have a camera and get some photos.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 09:02:02 AM »
Graybeard ill try to send about $20 bucks a week for a while via pay pal if i can. i am having to deal with my grandfathers health problems since the insurance isn't covering it all. i think i have a old 870 ill sell. tell matt to look for something sometime in the next few weeks from me via paypal sever fund or ill send it to you
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline powderman

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 01:23:53 PM »
Our prayers are with you my friend. Charlie.  :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 02:24:54 PM »
I hate to hear that..I'm so glad everyone got out and that is the most valuable thing we have anyway.  The other stuff can be replaced in time.  I'll go shopping tomorrow.  I have a nephew who will know what little boys like.  My prayers are with you....

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 02:38:36 PM »
My family's prayers are with you guys at this difficult time.  I'll see what we can arrange to help you guys out.

God Bless!

Heavy C

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 03:02:07 PM »
   So very sorry to hear about this.  What matters most is all are ok.    I'll see what I can send that way, especially for those little ones. 
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 03:20:44 PM »
You guys have been great so far. The response has been terrific via paypal and I'm not sure what might be coming via checks/money orders. For sure it's gonna help them get back on their feet and hopefully get into another home soon.

For now they are staying at my brother-in-law's daughter's place just down the road from him. They are on the road traveling and working so won't be back for 2-3 weeks. That gives Matt and Heather a bit of breathing room to work with until they have to find where they will move into.

We've been over there most all afternoon helping get what is salvageable out and there was some, not a lot but some. More clothes survived than at first expected. The downstairs area for the most part got only water damage and smoke. The back porch, kitchen and his office were totally wiped out really. I have some photos I'll try to get up tomorrow but I'm just too beat to do it tonight.

The living room was the room most remote from the actual flames upstairs and the damage there was quite amazing. A wall switch plate just melted, the laminate on the ceiling fan cooked off, plastic curtain hangers melted. Flames completely engulfed the hallway.

From what can be told it started out on the back porch. Why we still don't know. The firemen decided to call it an electrical wiring related fire as no accelerant was detectable. But the next door neighbor who called it in said when she first saw it there were only a few flames at one corner of the porch. She stepped inside to get a cordless phone and when she stepped back to her porch the entire back end of house was in flames. That's might fast but it was dry wood so I dunno. At this point why is moot as it's done.

Matt and my B-I-L Jimmy are there now boarding up the burned out area of the kitchen to protect whatever is left inside that might can be salvaged. Anything downstairs not ruined by water or smoke damage might be saved. That's where the bedrooms were so some bedroom furniture should be useable we think and the clothes that were there if smoke can be cleaned should be OK. Upstairs not much was left.

All but the new grandson were downstairs when the fire broke out. He had gone to sleep in the living room and they left him and took the baby monitor with them. They heard an explosion and shook the house. (don't ask me we have no clue what it was) and went to check on the oldest two. As he was leaving their bedroom he heard strange crackling and popping sounds and went upstairs. The back porch was fully in flame and smoke was filling the upstairs. He got the baby and took him to Heather and told her to get the kids out the house was on fire. She took them out the front door. Matt went back in for the baby's diaper back and his computer. He ripped it out jerking/breaking wires doing all he could to save those all important hard drives. He almost got burned up in the process as he had to go back out past a fully engulfed hallway to get to the only exit at the front door open to him. There was no chance of another return and even that one was almost one too many.

The new server that was upstairs loaded and ready to ship when the rest of RAM arrives on Monday we just have no clue the status of. It got very wet but may or may not have otherwise been damaged. The other one was downstairs and is likely OK. We'll know in a few days when he has them all dried out and can test them. No clue the damage to his main computer but hopefully at least the HDs will be OK and if so he can rebuild from there.

I'm sure Matt or Heather or both will be on later either tonight or tomorrow to update you. Both are exhausted now and likely will crash for awhile soon.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 05:47:23 PM »
Man,....look on here and see something that awful just out of the blue.

Truly sorry to hear it.

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 08:49:13 AM »
You guys are great.... I always thought that we had the greatest bunch of folks on the net here at GBO and now I know we do.

The donation that have been given via paypal will go a long way in helping us to get a back on our feet.

As to the cloths we can still use what we can get for we have yet to get the smoke smell out of the ones we have washed. We have been given a few remedies that may help but we will just have to wait and see.

So many of you have helped and are still helping and for this I am grateful and forever in your debit. Many have gone way beyond what I ever thought possible but it warms my heart to know that total strangers can come together and help someone in a time of need. I really thought that most people had forgotten  what compassion was but as I said I am glad to see it is alive and well here at GBO.

I am having to borrow computers at this time so I will not be online much for the next few days but I hope to have my system rebuilt and back up very soon.

Again from the bottom of our hearts we send grateful thank yous to everyone who has helped and commented.

Matt, Heather and Family.
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 05:19:49 PM »
The check's in the mail, Matt.  Sorry to hear of you hardship. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Heather

• GBO Supporter
    • mymartialartsplus.com
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 06:46:42 AM »
You guys just cant imagine that your support has turned this tragedy completely around.  My boys still have some of their toys, all that was lost was books and electronics. Some clothes were salvageable.  We still can not tell how many because as I am washing them some are just ripping to shreds when I take them out of the dryer, but some are as good as new.  The material possessions are not what has been the worst on the children.  My 3 year old can not understand why we cant go home, and my four  year old doesnt understand why the pictures at the house we are at arent of us.  They are confused and out of their routine.  Last night as I tucked them into bed I was able to promise them that this was only tempoary and very very soon we would have a new house that was ours again.  I wouldnt have been able to do that without the support from you guys.  I can close my eyes at night and know that everything will be ok.  Not only because of the financial support that is helping us move, but knowing that there is still good in this world.  I would have never iimagined that total strangers could do so much for people.  Again thank you for everything.

God Bless,
Heather 
Strive for complete serenity in all aspects of life.
www.mymartialartsplus.com

A closed mind is often closed to the truth!

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and loose both...Ben Franklin

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 02:51:20 AM »
Sorry about your house Matt.