Author Topic: Just another Dom Dictator...  (Read 884 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Just another Dom Dictator...
« on: October 12, 2007, 12:41:34 AM »
 Bet y'all don't have one with a super duper telescoping range-extender barrel though.

Sleeve comes out for soda can use.

Dom really does do a nice job on these (And I'm probably more picky than most). Anyone who has ever machined and fabricated something like this knows how much work is involved. He provides real value for the $$$. I know I'll be a repeat customer...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Just another Dom Dictator...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 03:40:58 AM »
So, what's the purpose of the exteneder?

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 04:48:51 AM »
    I think Victor3 is pulling your leg, DD.  I would like to know if there is a screw-in vent piece that provides an unbroken channel for vent gasses upon discharge of the GB Mortar conversion and if it also acts as a bore sleeve retainer.  Very interesting concept.  Would it work in high pressure applications?

Wondering,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 07:17:33 AM »
I would like to know if there is a screw-in vent piece that provides an unbroken channel for vent gasses upon discharge of the GB Mortar conversion and if it also acts as a bore sleeve retainer.

Doesn't look like it from the shape of the rear of the liner.  Be interesting to see if it comes out with the golf ball.  Obviously won't be going as fast if it does.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:06:57 AM »
I would like to know if there is a screw-in vent piece that provides an unbroken channel for vent gasses upon discharge of the GB Mortar conversion and if it also acts as a bore sleeve retainer

This sleeve appears to end at the bottom of the main bore. I'm pretty sure Dom puts chambers in his Dictators. The sleeve would stop well short of the vent.

I too am very interested in how well this works.

I believe Dom probably would have tested this before he shipped it out. We need to hear from him.

We're waiting with baited breath. Actually, bait-on-the-breath (I just ate some sardines).

Offline lance

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 03:14:57 PM »
 I like the ideal of it. my Dom Dictator is just golfball and has a powder chamber........... I too would like to know how it works. just wondering if fouling might cause the golf ball to jerk it out? ;D ;D ;D Dom does great work anyway!!!
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 06:46:02 PM »
 Wow  ;D ., This one looks to be the ultimate combo for the dictator. I am impressed. That is one good looking machine . Dom definitely has a winner here. Congratulations Dom and Victor3 ., Looks like the bar has been raised ! ! !

I could be wrong here but I assume the vent is unbroken and the vent is simply drilled into the  sub-chamber from the the outer mortar wall  which then would not be part of the projo sleeve . I have so many Irons in the fire right now to get into anything else just yet. but once I get caught up ., I would seriously like to put this Dictator/Combo on my gotta have list. I am still gloating on it., the size of it too., I wish I could hear it in soda can mode. HEAVY DUTY   ;D 

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 10:00:42 PM »
 Well.... It all started when I contacted Dom about a Dictator with a can size bore. He said he could make me one of the golf ball size ones "over-bored" to can size, or a larger scale one with (IIRC) an 8" OD barrel. I opted for the GB scale model with a larger bore since the weight of the larger model would probably have put me in the hospital for lower back surgery. I already have a 260# Coehorn that doesn't much leave the garage anymore.

I came up with the idea to make a bore reducing sleeve for golf ball use, and Dom and I worked out the dimensions. We decided to leave it without any type of retaining feature - I figure I'll test it to see how well it works without one. It can be added later if need be. Also, it might stick due to fouling, so I might have to make an expanding plug that attaches to a slide hammer to remove it. We'll see how it goes.

The sleeve has an OD of 2.625" and is a slip-fit to the bore. ID is 1.730". Breech end of tube bottoms out ahead of the powder chamber and length is flush with the muzzle.

By the way, I've got to give Dom a 'tip o' the hat here - We exchanged multiple emails that no doubt took Dom a lot of time to answer. He was a gentleman through it all. I've had custom items made by outfits in the past where the person I was dealing with didn't seem to care to answer emails with more than a two word response. Dom addressed all of my concerns promptly, made suggestions, and worked with me to get my stuff made the way I wanted it done.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 03:06:42 AM »
I can see it now.... one mortar with several sleeves.  Fires anything from bowling balls to BB's.  Dom, what have you started?
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 04:07:03 AM »
My SWAG is that the inner tube will be move, how far remains to be seen...but we do want to see!