Author Topic: 2-7 scopes the good, the bad, & the ugly  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Paleface

• Trade Count: (0)
2-7 scopes the good, the bad, & the ugly
« on: September 13, 2007, 03:19:01 PM »
I have been researching 2-7 scopes (new) lately. It seems there are a few choices. I am interested in the best bang for the buck. I noticed a few in the sub 200 buck range. I want to know what your experiences are with the following scopes, and alternatives as well. I have also read about 30 pages of threads in the optics forum, so I have a good idea of brand loyalty and opinions. The scopes I like the best based on what I have read are:

Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7X32 multi-x
raingaurd
fast focus
1/4 moa adjustment
88-90% claimed light transmission
lifetime warranty
street price approx 175

Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 ballistic plex
fast focus? (unknown)
1/4 moa adjustment
95% claimed light transmission
rubber eye piece
lifetime warranty
street price approx 165

As far as scopes go, I am new to this being a muzzloader hunter in the past. I have a new rifle on the way and want to get a decent scope for up to 200 yards, whitetail hunting. I want something that will last and perform for years to come. I have read the mueller review on the 2-7, how does it compare to the couple I have picked out? Leopold seems too expensive for what you get from what I read and saw, and it seems it's another hundred bucks.

Offline Zachary

Re: 2-7 scopes the good, the bad, & the ugly
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:09:43 AM »
Out of the 2 you have listed, I recommend the Elite 3200.

Make sure that you take a look at the Nikon Monarch in 2x-7x.  If Nikon also makes it in the Buckmaster line, then it will be competitively priced with the Elite 3200 (and actually, the Buckmaster has better glass).

Zachary

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 05:38:58 PM »
Look at the Mueller 2x7 Multi-shot..............

Offline Paleface

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 04:50:22 AM »
I will check those out. I don't know anybody around here that carries Mueller. Which of the 4 mentioned is best in low light conditions? Has burris quality declined recently?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »
Has burris quality declined recently?

Nope it's always been lousy.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Paleface

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 06:50:26 AM »
Seems like the Elite 3200 is a safe bet. I have little experience with scopes. I am concerned that what looks good on paper may not be the best performer in the field. I just don't want to make an expensive mistake, as I only have the cash to do this once. Thanks for the replies and advice.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 11:49:09 AM »
Why not Leupold???????????????

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »
Why not Leupold???????????????

Yea....why not Leupold?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Paleface

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 03:08:39 PM »
Well I did look at Leopold. Seems like a lot of money for what you get. Spensive stuff. The VXII 2-7x35 runs about 300 bucks. I been reading too much and alot of guys say it's the best thing since sliced bread, and alot say it's overpriced. Best warranty from what I gather.

I just looked up a sightron SII 1.5-6x42 that looks pretty good for the money. I saw it on a website for 199. I have read some good things about it on some forums (this is only one I am a member of), but I haven't seen one in a store around here. Heck, I haven't even seen an elite 3200 in the stores here. I did see a leopold, and while ok, I guess I expected more out of it (vxii 3-9). I want to stay with the lower power (under 7) for my new CVA OE in 7mm-08.

I am spooked about all this ring lapping talk, so I have picked up on the burris zee rings as a good idea. This project is gettin more expensive every time I turn around. Prolly have to sell my crossbow to fund this deal. If I had the cash I would probably buy a Ziess Conquest or a Busnell Elite 4200 Nikon Monarch or sum such and be done with it. As it is, I am also keeping my eye out on used scopes at the pawn shop and ebay.

Thanks for the help.

Offline barber

• Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
I have a 4200 Elite on my .223 rifle and it's fantastic.
barber

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 11:33:24 PM »

As far as scopes go, I am new to this being a muzzloader hunter in the past. I have a new rifle on the way and want to get a decent scope for up to 200 yards, whitetail hunting. I want something that will last and perform for years to come. I have read the mueller review on the 2-7, how does it compare to the couple I have picked out? Leopold seems too expensive for what you get from what I read and saw, and it seems it's another hundred bucks.

I would put the Mueller up against the scopes you listed.  Given your application you should pay particular attention to the reticle.  Specifically the Mueller Multi-Shot vs the Bushnell or Burris.
Doug

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 03:31:35 PM »
Save a bit more and get the right one the FIRST TIME.. its FAR cheaper in the long run!! As is said, pay now or pay MORE later. The initial higher price is forgotten LONG before the bitterness of poor performance.

LEUPOLD all the way!!

ALSO, look at used ones!!! the factory still warranties them so NO worried to you. I have bought a bunch for about 200 beans.

The 2X7X32 Leupold VXII is my all time favorite scope. I have about a dozen of them!! ::) ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »
My 2x7 Mueller is exactly what I want on a deer rifle.  I love the reticule and it seems very clear.
And although I have not had any problems I hear their customer service is very good.

Offline doctordisaster

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 03:07:01 AM »
Well I did look at Leopold. Seems like a lot of money for what you get. Spensive stuff. The VXII 2-7x35 runs about 300 bucks. I been reading too much and alot of guys say it's the best thing since sliced bread, and alot say it's overpriced. Best warranty from what I gather.

Thanks for the help.
Well that depends on how you shop.I bought a VXII 2-7 used(looks brand new)on e bay for $175.00 to my door.I could have turned it over for a $50 profit if it didn't work out for me.It did.
Be patient and keep looking there are deals a plenty out there.Just got a NEW Monarch for 195 to my door.How can you beat that?Besides ,I love not paying NY sales tax 8.35%.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 03:17:48 AM »
I agree on buying used scopes. I tend to buy more used than new and have for quite some time now. You can get some real bargains that way IF YOU ARE CAREFUL. Photos are best but make sure you read the description and ask questions if possible. Scopes with ring marks have been mounted incorrectly and maybe damaged. Leupold's guarantee makes that not a big deal but most others don't warrant them for life to secondary buyers. In reality that's not such a big deal as no one sends in warranty cards anyway for the most part so they have no way of knowing you're not the original buyer unless you tell them.

Some folks act like used scopes are still new in box and try to charge accordingly. Refuse to be suckered in by that. Used scopes should go for 50%-75% of retail going price MAX. I find 60% to be a fair average and personally will not buy for more and seldom ever try to sell for more unless they really are as new. A older Vari-X II Leupold 3-9 can usually be had used for about $150-$175 and on the lower end of that is a super fine choice saving you money. On the upper end of that range it's a good buy but not a super deal for you. I've never paid more than $150 or asked more on selling one personally.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Paleface

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 12:02:57 PM »
The local pawnshop sold both of the old redfield tv scopes they had.

I have been eyeing a couple lower dollar scopes lately the Browning 2-7 (made by bushell) that's supposed to be at elite 3200 specs on closeout and the busnell legend 2-7. Anybody have experience with both of these? Seems neither would be a bad choice. Course I did find a place to get the discontinued busnell 4200 1.5-6 if I can muster the cash.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
I've got two of the Bushnell Legends, one on a .444 Marlin and the other on a 30-30, both H&Rs, great scopes, bought the first one from Graybeard, liked it so much, I bought another from Midsouth. I also have one of the 2-7x Brownings, but it's not been mounted yet, they're supposed to be the same as the Bushnelll 3200, but without the rainguard lens coating. I do have another 3200 10x40 that's been on a 45-70 that has been an excellent scope, so I have no doubt any 3200/Browning would serve you well.

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00027752732M

2-7x32 Bushnell Legend

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Paleface

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 08:13:20 AM »
Sold the crossbow yesterday.Thanks for all the advise and opinions.

After careful consideration I just ordered the Nikon Monarch UCC 2-7x32 (Mdl 6515) from Natchez for 189, shipped to my door for 202. I see these scopes are highly rated. I will let you know my novice impressions when I get the scope. I was also looking hard at the sightron si2 and the burris ff2, but I think I made a good choice. Leopold just didn't seem to be in the running in the price range. Time will tell. Now on to ring and mounting questions.