Author Topic: Oversized Chamber?  (Read 600 times)

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Oversized Chamber?
« on: October 08, 2007, 07:34:50 AM »
Ive looked in the FAQ and can't find a similar problem or a solution (if it is a problem.)

I bought a new 45-70 buffalo classic and while I'm impressed with the accuracy, I am worried about the smoked brass Im getting out of it.
All my other handi barrels with "straight cases" only leave a blackened ring on the fired brass about 1/8" deep.  My 45-70 brass is coming out with almost an inch of soot from the front edge back.  None of these are reloads, I have only fired Hornady leverevolution so far.  I am wondering if this is a case of an oversized chamber or maybe undersized brass. Or both?  There is no problem removing the fired brass, it is loose, and I haven't even polished the chamber yet. Its only been cleaned with hoppes and a rag.

Is this normal to have soot halfway down the brass on a 45-70 handi?  Should I be worried about it?

Offline fknipfer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Oversized Chamber?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:47:38 AM »
I don't know as I get some black down the side of mine.  It really shoots well and I seem to sooner later get some in all the rifles I shoot.  I have about 20 different ones so I don't know if this is a problem but I don't think so.

fknipfer
Kansas Rifle Association
NRA Life Member
I am not a gun collector, I am an accumulator
US Army Veteran

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:55:08 AM »
The only time I've had that problem was with defective powder in handloads. The Leverevolution brass is shorter than normal 45-70 brass, so that likely has something to do with it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »
Quickdtoo- Thanks for the tip on the shorter than normal brass.
I will pick up a box of federal power shock ammo at lunch time and will try it out at the range tonight.  Its cheap and readily available at the local outdoors store. It could just be the hornady brass causing problems, but I will post the results tonight. 
I understand some blackening is normal.  My .357, .450, and .44 all extract brass with about 1/8" of black soot, but the 45-70 has black soot OVER an inch deep on the outsides of the case.  Maybe I just need to polish the chamber so the brass has a better surface to grip?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 08:07:27 AM »

I've shot a-lot of the LE ammo...both in my Marlins & CVA Elite...and it averages about 1/2" to 1" of irregular blackening of the case mouth...but not 1/2 of the case... Accuracy is outstanding out of the CVA...and as long as your getting good accuracy...I wouldn't worry too much about it...Just don't try to reload it to high pressure loads trying to match what Hornady is getting...There have been some reports of cases splitting in the middle and on the case mouths...Hornady is using some non-cannister grade powders in all of the Lever Evolution loadings...and the cases were shorten to allow it;s usage in the Marlin rifles...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 03:50:20 PM »
The 45-70 is a low pressure round. The LE powder maybe very slow burning allowing some of it to leak past the case before it seals off.
Just use some other ammo.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 04:13:58 PM »
I'm with Ireload here, I think there is not enough pressure in these rounds to expand the brass and seal the chamber as effectively as higher pressure rounds. As long as the gas is not getting to the rear of the case I don't think its a danger.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 06:56:40 PM »

These 325 grain loads at 2050 fps aren't really low pressure rounds guys...They aren't super high pressure loads either...I can't say for the ones they have downloaded to 1850fps.. but...defiantly not the ones I've shot...besides...they are accurate...

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,127640.msg1098461947.html#msg1098461947

Mac

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 04:04:31 AM »
Went to the range last night.  My guess is the shorter case on the Leverevolution ammo is causing the problem.  I fired 10 shots of Federal Powershock 300 grain, and all had about 1/4" of blackened brass. 
It is not a pressure problem with the Hornady.  I am getting 2080 fps +/- 15fps with these 325 grain from my 32" barrel.  The Federals at 300grain were down around 1820 to 1830 fps muzzle.  That is a much lower pressure and they are sealing better.

Thanks for your help Quick and Mac, I will not worry about the smoked cases anymore.  Hopefully I can use this gun to take my first deer with open sights.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 04:44:19 AM »

Your Welcome...

B.T.W.  How did the Federals do for you out of the BC barrel? I've always gotten really good accuracy from them...

Mac

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 06:14:58 AM »
Are Hornady LE 45-70s loaded above trapdoor pressures?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 06:29:34 AM »
When the LE 45-70 ammo was first released, they advertised a MV of 2050fps, still do on their website, but recent production is marked 1875fps, but the faster stuff may be available again.

Tim

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=ballistics/popup&product_sku=82747

http://www.midwayusa.com/technote.exe/technote?SaleItemID=413144

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=413144

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=24243
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain