Author Topic: Im new with a Handi  (Read 504 times)

Offline BOW CEFUS

• Trade Count: (0)
Im new with a Handi
« on: October 07, 2007, 06:52:42 PM »
Hello everyone,
         I just bought my first Handi.  Its a Standard handi in 223 with a bull barrel.  Can anyone tell me what groups i can expect with it.  Ammo suggestions would be great also.   IF you could cany'alll post pics of you're varmint handies to. 

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Re: Im new with a Handi
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »
Welcome Bow you'll find lots of god info here so stay tuned. There is already a very long thread posting Handi pic. With tuning you should be able to achieve 1 MOA or better.

Mc

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:39:47 AM »
Welcome Aboard, Bow.  :)

When the Winchester White Box 45 gr. HP ammo was available, it was pretty much the standard choice for Handi .223 owners.  Many experienced MOA or less with it.  However, Winchester suspended production of it.  Some have found other types of factory ammo that shoot just as well.  Others have needed to do some reloading to duplicate the WWB accuracy.

All in all, once you find the ammo of choice for your rifle, MOA and even sub MOA is not out of reach for your .223.

My standard barrel Handi .223 has always shot Federal American Eagle 50gr. Flat Base hollow points as well as the WWB.  Usually MOA at 100 yards, if I was having a good day.  The Federals are still available, but usually do not stay on the shelves very long around these parts.

Enjoy your new Handi.   :)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 02:01:53 AM »
My wife and I had a good laugh just now about your chosen handle. Once long ago the real Bocephus aka Hank Jr. was a member here but under a user name not likely to let folks know it was him. He came because of a friend of his who was a regular here at this site. I've not heard from either of them in a long time and wonder what happen to his friend Bill who brought him and the basketball star Shaq here as well. Bill had cancer if I recall correctly and Shaq was paying for his treatments for him.

At any rate welcome and thanks for stirring up memories of times past with your user name.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 03:30:59 AM »
Welcome aboard, you will find this a friendly place. You want to read the FAQ. There is lots of good information there, even if you are not having any trouble. It would not be unexpected to get 1 MOA with a 223 Handi. Some do better than that, some not so good. If you can not get 1 MOA and have tried everything in the FAQ then there is probably something wrong with the gun. Good Luck and you will find most any answer about Handis here.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 04:38:52 AM »
I'm sure some of these guys are tired of seeing this.

This was is the best group so far.
It will usually shoot under an inch with that ammo.
Most any ammo will come in under 2".

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 05:46:02 AM »

Welcome Aboard...

You can find lots of pictures along with a wealth of information in the FAQ's at the top of the page...Here's a link to some of the Handi's floating around...

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,97911.msg1098249435.html#msg1098249435

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 01:49:47 PM »
Welcome BOW CEFUS,I got a chuckle out of your chosen also,always liked BOW CEFUS. ;) The 223 shoots good to great for many members here.I handload for mine and first powder I used was IMR 3031 as I have a bunch ot it.Was pretty easy to get it to shoot half inch for 3 shots,so I never got around to trying anything else.May get a can of H335 or WW748 some day just to try.For factory loads,that winchester load that PartsMan uses looks darn good!Good luck to ya.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers