Author Topic: 243 stainless problems  (Read 485 times)

Offline Gene R

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
243 stainless problems
« on: October 06, 2007, 04:24:02 PM »
I own about 10 different Handy's, and all shoot very well except for the stainless 243 I've had for about a year now. It gives erratic group's of 8-10 inches at 100 yrds with all different types of ammo.All of the other Handy's group under 1.5 inches, and some have .5 inch groups.

Ive tried new scopes, mounts, different ammo, and nothing works. The only thing I can find that is any different than my other rifles, is that when it is open there is a bunch of play from side to side, but is solid when locked.

Any suggestions?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 243 stainless problems
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 04:32:48 PM »
Sounds like the forend is too loose, not much you can do for it on the synthetic stock except replace the forend to tighten it up some, although a thorough bedding job including the stud would work to increase pressure on the frame. If you remove the forend and close the action and it's loose, it needs a new barrel, doesn't sound like that's the case tho, but sometimes it's hard to tell with the forend on. It may have other issues, bad crown, chamber, ect. Maybe the best option would be to contact H&R and make arrangements to have them fix it, ask em to cover shipping, toll free (866)776-9292.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dave Allen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 04:00:26 AM »
gene..you probably noticed my thread on side-side play...anyway i had the rifle apart for cleaning & decided to bed the area where the barrel stud fit's..let the silicone dry a few hour's i put it back together..maybe my fore-end screw had backed out a "tad" & i didn't know ?? anyway it fit's good & snug now..don't know if that help's ya any or not..good luck..

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 04:31:38 AM »
If it's a factory fitted H&R will look at it for you.
They told me to send my 7mm-08 in if it wouldn't shoot 2.5" at 100yd.

BTW You might want to try Core Lokts one more time before you send it in. :)

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 01:41:49 PM »
I have a stainless synthetic 243, didn't shoot very well at first, sanded forend and used JB bore paste and shot it a lot. Shoots less than 1 1/2" with 100 grain Winchester Ballistic Silvertips and 95 grain Fusions now......