Author Topic: Lazer bore sighter  (Read 498 times)

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Lazer bore sighter
« on: October 06, 2007, 05:06:35 PM »
Do any of u use these lazer bore sighters after u put a scope on a new gun does it save ammo to get the zero one the scope before shooting much ammo, like does it help to get the scope like next thing to being on the bulls eye before fireing a shot??i bought one and put a scope on a new rifle and i am going to shoot costly ammo through this gun and was wondering if this is going to save me money and ammo so what i am realy saying do these lazer bore sighters realy work
1 shot 1 kill

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
Re: Lazer bore sighter
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 05:16:02 PM »
I bought one from Walmart about 6-8 months ago.  Yes it works.  Have used it on a 50 cal MLer and a 223.  I do it late at night and shine it on a tree about 100 yards away.  Slicker than a whistle.

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 06:11:37 PM »
Cas, What brand/model did you buy and was this the only one you have used?? Thanks -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »
As cascaded said, do it at night, or at least later in the evening when you can see it at a longer distance.  The further away you can get the little dot, the closer you will have it before you start shooting.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 03:52:07 AM »
I have looked at them but just continue to bore sight my rifles when I put new scopes or iron sights on them. Pre-sighting in, either way, does help save wasted ammo during sighting in....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:39:59 AM »
Thanks guys i did it early in the morning when it was dark but not real dark i am glad u guys had good luck with the lazer bore sighter so maybe i dont have to wayst much winchester supreme ammo through my 25-06 it is a bolt rifle but i just thought i would get a quicker answer here than over at the bolt forum thanks again guys
1 shot 1 kill

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 07:18:43 AM »
I thought about getting one a while back but have found that if I mount new scopes on all my H&R's barrels in the same location on the mount I am always within 5 shots of working hard on zero after that. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline guimus

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 08:17:20 AM »
I was about to drop some nice money on one, but folks on another forum convinced me otherwise. Handi's are really given to traditional bore sighting, since you can just open up the action, put the barrel on a soft rest pointing toward something bright orange, and dial it in from there. I'd much rather spend the money on ammo than lasers, and I've never taken more than 3 rounds to hit the bull using this method. Of course, the larger your bore, the harder it is to line up the barrel using eyes alone, but for the next 6 weeks my largest handi is a .223.

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 06:14:24 AM »
g,  I can't remember what the brand is of the one I bought.  I think it was $30-$40.  I also think Quick bought a similar model from Cabelas and has had good luck with it also.

I have looked throught the bore and adjusted scopes that way with MLers, bolt rifles as well as my Handi prior to getting this laser.  It worked ok, but the laser boresighter is fantastic.  I am confident I can take any rifle and get it on the paper every time at 100 yards.

As was said, just do it at night and shine it one something as far away as you can.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 06:27:56 AM »
I used the lazer bore sighter and then went to my freinds personal range and it was 3" low and 3" left of the bulls eye thats pretty close for me with this device, i have done it the old fashion way and looked through the barrel as u where all talking about thats how i did it before i got this little tool and some times doing that old way i was not on paper so it seems to me they work saved me ammo , i wouldnt do it like u see on these hunting shows on TV just u the lazer sighter and they go hunting them guys are crazy
1 shot 1 kill

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
I was about to drop some nice money on one, but folks on another forum convinced me otherwise. Handi's are really given to traditional bore sighting, since you can just open up the action, put the barrel on a soft rest pointing toward something bright orange, and dial it in from there. I'd much rather spend the money on ammo than lasers, and I've never taken more than 3 rounds to hit the bull using this method. Of course, the larger your bore, the harder it is to line up the barrel using eyes alone, but for the next 6 weeks my largest handi is a .223.

I also use this method.
If you look down the bottom of the bore you can get closer than just trying to set the cross hairs in the middle.

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 10:28:37 AM »
I like gadgets, but I was a little skeptical of this.  After I bought it and used it a couple times I wouldn't be without it.

It is very nice to make the adjustment to the scope and watch the crosshairs go right to the lazer dot.  It is SUPER nice to go to the range after mounting a new scope and go right to the 100 yard mark and not mess around at 50.

Different strokes for different folks though.