Author Topic: NEW ENGLAND, any cannoneers up this way?  (Read 413 times)

Offline redbaron80

• Trade Count: (0)
NEW ENGLAND, any cannoneers up this way?
« on: October 07, 2007, 01:46:17 PM »
I live here in Ossipee,New Hampshire and wonder if there are cannoneers in the NH,ME,VT and Mass areas? We have a few BOOMERS up my way,but their main goal is a very loud noise!! Not that that's all that bad,but they make very thick, vertical tubes from drive shafts and the like. With a couple of film cannisters of 2F ( or more) they make a noise you can hear easy from over a mile,kind of echos off the hills. My intrest fall in the small scale verisons of the real thing. While stationed in California many years back, I crewed on a 2/3 rds scale field cannon shooting in live fire events. Boy did they make a nice small group on the target,not sure of the distance,but around 300 ft I think. You New Englanders can drop me a email.
Thanks,Bill

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
Re: NEW ENGLAND, any cannoneers up this way?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:01:13 PM »
I am in Presque Isle Maine.  I Have 2gb mortars and two cannons with 3/4" bores as well as a Winchester 10 ga.  I do not know anyone else in my area that is into cannons or mortars.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 05:22:58 PM »
     Redbarron80,  you might get some names of people or clubs which feature cannon shooting through the American Artillery Association  which features cannon and mortar matches in MA, NY and CT.  Try Emailing them at americanartillery@gmail.com for specific questions of a non-technical type like: "where do your competitors come from, (units or clubs) and where are they located?"  The North-South Skirmish Association, N-SSA has New England  representation as well. Mike and I found the best way to get people interested in shooting cannons and mortars is to drag some friends out for a shooting session and let them hear the thunder and smell the smoke!!  Just don't make them work too hard!  Good luck to you. 

Regards,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »
I'm in Western Massachusetts. The AAA people are mostly from the NY,MA,CT area. I have only been able to make it to one of their shoots (in Granby, MA), but they are a real bunch of nice guys and you don't need a $20K perfect reproduction of something to shoot in their matches.