Author Topic: 9mm in a rifle  (Read 527 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
9mm in a rifle
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:20:35 AM »
Does anyone have an idea as to what velocities I should expect out of the 16 1/2 inch barrel with 9mm loads? I inherited this gun from a relative a couple of years ago and don't really shoot it. I am wondering if I could use it in some capacity to hunt with and try to get more use out of it. (I do handload). It's a nice gun to shoot at the range. But, I have limited time at the range and when I go, it's really to practice with the guns I hunt with or the guns I carry for personal protection.

Thanks!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 9mm in a rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »
If it happens to be a Marlin Model 9 Camp Carbine you can find rifle data specifically for that rifle in the Lyman 47th Reloading Handbook. They didn't include it in their latest 48th edition but it has rifle data for the Ruger Carbine, PC9.

Bill

edited : 115 gr. JHP Velocity 1023 fps - 1441 fps depending on powder listed.(Marlin Model 9)

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »
 Between a marlin camp 9 and a Hi-point carbine I found that you would typically gain under 150 fps over  a 9mm handgun firing the same ammo. 9mm in a carbine is still nowhere near what even a .357 handgun would do.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 03:02:32 PM »
IMO they are a plinkin' gun. Lots of fun to shoot cans with. Could be used for small game like squirrels, rabbits and such. Might be good for pest control in the back yard. Might be considered a home defense gun by some. But, best as a plinker, but much more expensive to shoot than a 22 rim fire and not as accurate.  ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:45:44 AM »
Thanks for the info! It's a Beretta CX4 Storm. It's a great little gun to shoot, but I don't get all that much time to just plink. I may think about selling it and buying something more useful in my hobby, hunting.

Thanks again!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 10:37:19 AM »
I am apologizing ahead of time if this offends anyone here.

It's just hard for me to think of a SWAT team entering into a conflict armed with weapons like those shown below and saying they are going in with "plinkers".

Again, I am sorry for any hard feelings.

Bill

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:56:31 PM »
I said in IMO. I know that is not the opinion of everyone. There are no hard feelings on my part. ;D I said that they maybe considered a home defense gun by some. ;) I just think there are better choices for it, not that it will not work for that purpose. A sub machine gun is a whole lot different than a semi. You have to consider case size because you want to have as much capacity as possible in a fire fight+ recoil. Also the when in swat situation there are a lot of other things to consider. Like bullet penetration, ammo availability (9mm is sort of a standard the world 'round). I think one of the reasons they went to the 5.56 NATO so they could carry more ammo. I use a 44 Mag as a plinking gun some times, that does not make it bad. Peace OR-E-Gun Bill
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.