Author Topic: Snake Boots  (Read 799 times)

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
Snake Boots
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:31:18 AM »
I posted here because I know I'd get more responses. Move post if neccessary.

My sister want's to get me something for my B'day, and I had been looking at Snake Boots anyway....I need some advice.
What to get

what NOT to get

style (I'm leaning to a slip on or side zipper type)

Any help?

Thanks
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Re: Snake Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:05:36 AM »
I just ordered some for myself from Cabala's. Mine are the slip on type and 17 inches tall. I think the name of mine are the Cabala's brand called El Dorado. I wanted slip on type as I couldn't see doing all that lacing and I wanted them to be taller than the regular snake boots which is usually 15 inches. I have wore them a few times getting them broke in, but I can't give a good report for them yet as I haven't wore them enough. I think mine will be OK though as they come right below my knees which should give good snake protection for the large Timber rattlers and moccasins that are in the area I'm going to hunting this year.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline 35Rem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:37:56 AM »
Yeah, all those laces scare me, too. I've got a little bit of a gut on me, and I'm afraid I'd pass out before I got them laced! ;D
Vintage Semiauto Rifles

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:11:14 AM »
The only problem I have with the pull on type that I bought was getting them off which is a little difficult. But I found that if I sit down and cross a leg on top of other leg, they pull off better that way.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:36:29 AM »
Come on guys you don't mean you really think we have SNAKES in Bama do ya? I've never yet seem a rattler with a head much wider than my hand but I did run across one that was that wide and man was he one aggressive rascal. That was the single biggest rattlesnake I've ever run across.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:44:53 AM »
The best way to get a slip on boot off is with a boot jack.  You can usually find them at a Western Wear shop, or if you have a little talent you can make your own.  They sure come in handy for a fat old man................

http://www.abootjack.com/

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 12:34:34 PM »
Come on guys you don't mean you really think we have SNAKES in Bama do ya? I've never yet seem a rattler with a head much wider than my hand but I did run across one that was that wide and man was he one aggressive rascal. That was the single biggest rattlesnake I've ever run across.

The last Timber Rattler I killed about 3 weeks ago was coiled up striking at me as I walked up to it with my little NEF 20 gauge. That one must have been eating something mighty nutritious or been into some body's, as it looked like it never went hungry.
AMM
The Mountain

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »
I got a homemade boot jack made out of a couple of pieces of 2 X 6 and it works good, but is never around when I need it. I once notched out a nice V out of the end of one of the deck boards at the hunting cabin when it was kind of new. I couldn't get those dad burn ankle tight rubber boots off without doing that. Some of the members didn't like it, but the ones with tall slip on boots  loved that notch in the floor end of the porch. Now, I just cross a boot over my leg, grab the heel of the snake boot and it pulls right off.  ;)
AMM
The Mountain

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:02:28 PM »
A word of caution..............I have know folks that ruined a nice pair of boots by using a boot jack that was not padded inside.  The inside of my boot jack is lined with leather to keep from tearing the skin of my western boots.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 04:05:52 PM »
Wore hightop snake proof cowboy boots when living in Arizonia and New Mexico.  Took them to Turkey with me and glad I did.  Got into many snake dens there in the old castles.  Anyway the only way I ever could get them off was to have help or use a boot jack.  The wife got a big one (bootjack) made of castiron that is very decorative.  We always keep it next to the front door.  It's useful even with my lace-up hunting boots.

And yes it is padded.  But my boots are so scared up from spurs and brush it would not make any differance anyway.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 35Rem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 06:41:54 AM »

Don't forget, I'm in Dothan, about 70 miles East of Opp, where they do the annual Rattlesnake Round-Up. The only thing I want to round up is the pieces of the snake when I'm through with it!

There's plenty of 'snakey' places down here, so It'd be good to be prepared. I went Turkey hunting with a guy last year and about halfway in he turned around and asked "do you have snake boots on?" That was a little unnerving, cuz I didn't!
Vintage Semiauto Rifles

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 07:40:05 AM »
35Rem, here's the link to the snake boots I bought

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0040744812526a.shtml

I notice there is some good reviews of them also.
AMM
The Mountain